PDA

View Full Version : Joining 2 different type of wood

arda
23rd December 2010, 10:22 AM
Hi all,

I'm new to wood working and uninformed about router technology.
I'm a knife maker. I have been using synthetic materials so far for handle material on knives I made. Recently I'm developing interest in exotic wood handle as knife handle material.

I'm planing to use 2 different type of wood slab (which have colour contrast) and try to put them side to side to create a knife handle. The join between the two different wood is shaping like an "s" letter. I'm thinking of using a small router with a template to ensure that the 2 cuts of the "s" shape will be precise so when I put them (glue) to gather it will be perfect fit. hope this make any sense.

I am wondering if this is possible when done by a small router machine? if it is possible, what what would be the smallest router will you recommend to do this kind of job (including the router bits).

each of the two wood slabs dimension will be approx. 10mm x 50mm x 130mm

Thanks

malb
23rd December 2010, 08:02 PM
Can be done with any router that can take standard Porter Cable style guide bushes. You can buy an Inlay Kit including a guide bush, a sleeve that fits into the guide bush and a router bit specifically sized to the task.
In use, one part is formed with the guide bush in place, for the second part the sleeve is installed on the guide bush. The increased radius of the guide compensates for the offset between the bit radius and the guide radius. Typically the bit is about 3mm diameter.
This system is used to cut inserts, and recessses to accomodate them for decorative work. Normally only 1-3mm deep but a sequence of shallow cuts would get to 10mm easily.

For the size of your work pieces, you may need to develop a dedicated work holder/template holder for the task to ensure that the work is able to be locked in position without having clamps interfere with the router transit.

Several suppliers have videos of the inlay kit in action, and Router Forums has a good tutorial (http://www.routerforums.com/guide-bushings-templates/21306-routing-tutorial-beginners.html) on work/template holders that provide a stable base for the router and secure the template and work piece in one go. Study the entire thread but the bit I am thinking about starts at about pic 7, making a template, then a suitable holding box, and finally securing the workoiece.

joe greiner
23rd December 2010, 09:57 PM
The inlay-kit method needs a substantial amount of wood in both "parents" to support the router and the template.

If the sweep of the "s" curve isn't too pronounced, a band saw with a narrow blade might be the better tool. Cut each piece to approximate dimensions, and secure them to a third piece of material, e.g. plywood, in close, but not perfect alignment. Double-face carpet tape can be adequate. Cut again along the imperfect boundary, so that the kerf engages both pieces. If it doesn't, re-mount on a fourth piece of plywood and repeat. Repeat again on a fifth piece of plywood if necessary; and a sixth, etc.

If you cut carefully, eventually the two woods will enjoy wedded bliss.

Cheers,
Joe