PDA

View Full Version : In love with my Stubby

narelle22
23rd December 2010, 11:40 AM
Hiya all - just bought myself a Stubby 750 form Omega Tools in Australia - so far, so good and loving it! Any tips from other subby users would be appreciated!

hughie
23rd December 2010, 04:11 PM
Narelle, Welcome to the forum :2tsup:. we have many Stubby owners, no doubt you will get a lot of feed back.

Mulgabill
23rd December 2010, 05:17 PM
Narelle, Welcome! I am very envious of your new purchase. :wtg:
The Stubby 750 is on my wish list and I look forward to perhaps seeing your review of the lathe once you become familiar with it.
As hughie said I am sure other Stubby owners will respond to a new kinsman.

KCH
23rd December 2010, 05:30 PM
That would have to be the best Christmas present anyone could hope for.. so Merry Christmas Narelle.
Hoping to get our own Stubby 750 next year so any feedback would be great.

Kaye
Koo Wee Rup, Vic:santajump:

narelle22
23rd December 2010, 05:47 PM
Yes, it is a great christmas pressie to myself. I wanted to start off the year with a bang!
Thanks for all your warm words of welcome. Will keep ou posted, so far so good.:wink:

Sawdust Maker
23rd December 2010, 08:04 PM
Welcome to the forum and happy new Stubby

When I win the lottery I'll join you in the ownership club! Do you have to but a ticket? :doh:

Tony Morton
24th December 2010, 09:07 AM
Hi Narelle

this year marks ten years as a stubby750 owner, thr only trouble I still dont have as much time to spend with it as I would like even though I have been retired for two years.
You will have many years of happy turning with this machine the possabilities are endles happy turning.

Cheers Tony

Ed Reiss
24th December 2010, 12:59 PM
So...when are ya' going to post a pic of the first bowl done on it:?:D

Welcome to the madhouse Narelle...think you'll find that your in with a good bunch.

artme
24th December 2010, 09:06 PM
G'day Narelle and welcome to the company of the (slightly) sane !!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Lucky you, to have such a wonderful beast to play with! Enjoy!:):):)

rsser
26th December 2010, 07:46 AM
Link here (http://www.stubbylatheusa.com/cgi-bin/index.py) to the US Yahoo stubby group in case you weren't aware of it.

govarney
26th December 2010, 12:25 PM
Gidday Narelle,

As a Stubby owner myself (Xmas last year) I only have one bit of advice. Be prepared for a really good year of turning. :2tsup: :D

arvionnet
31st March 2023, 10:31 AM
Three years ago, I was lucky to find and purchase a used S-750 from a retiring law enforcement man, who felt sorry for me, the old man I am and sold it to me for U$S 500.00.

He gave me several tool rests with all different shapes and sizes with it, plus a Vicmarc 120 chuck and a One-way Stronghold.

This turned to be the most wonderful lathe I ever had and, I will have it until I cannot stand any more.

However, I am in need to replace the drive belt and the Omega instructions are such that makes me think they would rather not be too specific.

I tried everything they provide with the instructions but I have no success.

Any ideas?

hughie
27th April 2023, 07:59 AM
Try here
Stubby Lathe Users (https://www.facebook.com/groups/846845842113717/)

Pat
27th April 2023, 06:53 PM
Which belt did you end up with? I it's an "A" section like my 1000, I'm going to replace it with a power twist link belt. I've done this on a few of my older machines, saw, thicky, spindle moulder (I think, it's in the shed and I'm not going to check :;) and Jointer. I find the power transfer is smooth.

If it's a serpentine (ribbed) belt, you will have to muck around with taking the rear bearing and spindle out. Depending on the age of the lathe, you might be advised to replace the bearings at the same time.