PDA

View Full Version : Clarkson chucks

Stustoys
23rd December 2010, 02:09 PM
I was looking at this listing on the ebay. It comes with 5 different sized centers.
I've never seen different sized centers in a clarkson chuck. Does anyone know why I would need a different sized center?
Also 20 collets? I thought I was doing well with 7. Maybe there are some doubles.

Thanks
Stuart

Gavin Newman
23rd December 2010, 03:56 PM
A wild guess, maybe those centres are to be fitted into the collet when you want to centre the work under the milling machine head and are then replaced with the actual cutter once the work is in place.

If so, having multiple diameter shafted centres would mean that you would have one to suit the size collet in use at the time rather than having to swap collets between locating the work and mounting the cutter.

Dave J
24th December 2010, 10:57 PM
It's up to you but I would buy a ER collet chuck, that way it will take all types of cutters.

Dave

Stustoys
24th December 2010, 11:24 PM
Oops I didn't mean to imply I was looking to buy another one, I have one already and was just wondering what the story was.(although if it had been cheap enough and the right taper........ who knows lol)

Gavin I haven't found a way to make the collect grip something if it isnt threaded

Stuart

Dave J
24th December 2010, 11:38 PM
Sorry, that was my mistake:doh:
It does look like theirs doubles from the picture.

Dave

Gavin Newman
25th December 2010, 08:47 AM
Gavin I haven't found a way to make the collect grip something if it isnt threaded

Maybe they don't grip but just slide in with a very close fit, that would be enough to be useful for location purposes as it wouldn't be used under power.

I have the Vertex equivalent of the Clarkson and turned up similar items for each of my collets. I makes it easy to locate the work under the collet then swap to the cutter.

Stustoys
25th December 2010, 05:21 PM
I'll make one up and give it a go Gavin

Stuart

Anorak Bob
25th December 2010, 07:59 PM
Hello Stuart,

I have two Clarkson Autolock chucks, one small, the other an intermediate. That later accepts 3/4'' and 1" shank cutters. Both have the same size centres. I wonder if some of the centres in your photo might suit the large, 1 1/4" Autolock chuck. They all have the same ground face on the flange behind the centre point.

Bob.

matthew_g
25th December 2010, 10:07 PM
Well Seeing as I am the seller what questions would you like answered.
Matt..
PS. I sent them to Western Australia.....

Dave J
25th December 2010, 10:19 PM
I would have thought they would have brought more than that, maybe the time of year didn't help.

Dave

matthew_g
25th December 2010, 10:39 PM
Yeah I was hoping for about $170-$180 But ya win some and ya loose some...

Stustoys
25th December 2010, 11:01 PM
Hi Matt
Two questions.
1. Were all the collects different sizes?
2. The 5 centers, what were they used for?

I have one and the taper was wrong for me.

Stuart

matthew_g
26th December 2010, 11:57 AM
Hi Stuart,
Yes all the collets were different sizes, There was a mix of metric and imperial....
As for the centers I am not really sure, They all fited into the chuck the same. I was thinking thet the were
used to center the endmill, But in saying that all the collets were threaded to accept threaded endmills...
I have always used ER collets. I ended up with this set in a lot of other gear from an auction...I had to buy the lot to get the item I actually wanted......
Matt

Stustoys
26th December 2010, 12:12 PM
Wow I didnt know the threaded cutters came in so many sizes.
I got one with my mill and managed to score some cutters from online pretty cheap.
As I keep saying, one of these days I will get an ER collet set.

There should be a center in the chuck. As the cutter screws in, it pushes against that pushing the collect down and tightening it. But I've only seen them in one size.(of course it is possible that I different one should be used and most people dont bother, this may explain the 3 cutters I have with the center broken out)

Thanks
Stuart

pipeclay
26th December 2010, 09:31 PM
Over tightening may also explain it.

Stustoys
26th December 2010, 09:41 PM
Over tightening may also explain it.
Well thats what I thought until I found out there were different sized centers. But the centers seem to have different size shatfts"?", if they were used in the same chuck you would think they would all have the same shaft dia.

Stuart