PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a rotary table

mav_walrus
23rd December 2010, 06:46 PM
I was recently given an unused 200 mm Vertex rotary table. The spindle extends 1.5 mm past the base of the rotary table. This causes it to rock on the mill table and would probably bind the rotary table if I bolted it down. Is there any way (short of grinding the end of the spindle) to adjust the spindle 2mm higher?

Thanks
Mav

.RC.
23rd December 2010, 07:15 PM
Don't put the spindle on the table... That is what I do with my 8" one.

pipeclay
23rd December 2010, 10:00 PM
What Spindle are you reffering to?

Bryan
23rd December 2010, 10:07 PM
Oh well I guess it's buggered. I'll give you scrap value... :D

Seriously, sounds like you'll have to pull it apart to find out what's going on there. If it's meant to be a H/V table, nothing should stick out the back. May be a simple matter of turning up a spacer.

Welcome aboard BTW.

RayG
24th December 2010, 12:11 AM
Hi Mav,

Welcome to the forum, I have a 6" Vertex rotary table, no spindle sticking out, so I'm confused as to what spindle you are referring to. Can you post a picture of the problem?

Regards
Ray

.RC.
24th December 2010, 06:22 AM
Hi Mav,

so I'm confused as to what spindle you are referring to.
Regards
Ray

he means the handle that turns the table....Like this pic here...

http://www.g7khf.com/Rotary%20Table.JPG

pipeclay
24th December 2010, 06:27 AM
If the Spindle you reffer to is the Hand Wheel that rotates the table you will either have to set your Rotary table up so as the handle is clear of the Mill table or whatever it is you are mounting it on.

If the work or Table or surface you are mounting it on is limited to size you would need to use parallel packers under the Rotary table so as to gain enough clearance for the handle to clear.

Big Shed
24th December 2010, 07:52 AM
he means the handle that turns the table....Like this pic here...

http://www.g7khf.com/Rotary%20Table.JPG

That handwheel sticks out a lot more than 1.5mm!!!

I doubt that is what he is referring to.

.RC.
24th December 2010, 09:43 AM
That handwheel sticks out a lot more than 1.5mm!!!

I doubt that is what he is referring to.

No he means if you were to sit the table on a solid surface the handwheel will touch on one side and the bottom of the table on the other...

That is why when you mount the table on your mill you stick the handwheel over the side..

Big Shed
24th December 2010, 09:49 AM
I was recently given an unused 200 mm Vertex rotary table. The spindle extends 1.5 mm past the base of the rotary table. This causes it to rock on the mill table and would probably bind the rotary table if I bolted it down. Is there any way (short of grinding the end of the spindle) to adjust the spindle 2mm higher?

Thanks
Mav

No he means if you were to sit the table on a solid surface the handwheel will touch on one side and the bottom of the table on the other...

That is why when you mount the table on your mill you stick the handwheel over the side..

So, where does the 1.5mm come in then, the wheel sticks below the bottom of the table by a lot more than that on my 6" Vertex and in the picture above.

mav_walrus
24th December 2010, 10:26 AM
Hi all

Thanks for the responses .... and the welcome !

It doesn't look like its been treated roughly or dropped .... still covered in Chinese goop.

It's the main spindle

Photos below

Mav156705

Big Shed
24th December 2010, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the clarification, that is what I assumed you meant, nothing to do with the hand wheel.

Don't know how that could happen or how you would fix it though.:no:

Big Shed
24th December 2010, 10:56 AM
Just had a look at my new 6" Vertex rotary table (like yours, the gunk is still on there!).

It appears that yours is missing a part on the back/bottom of the table, the big black retaining ring doesn't seem to be on yours.

If you go to the Hare & Forbes site, you can download the Vertex rotary table manual from there and it is shown in the exploded diagram in there.

https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Products?stockCode=R006

mav_walrus
24th December 2010, 12:05 PM
Falco

The retaining ring is there. .... locked with a grub screw.

It adjusts the load on the bearings but I cant see how to use it to raise the spindle.

Mav

Toggy
24th December 2010, 01:04 PM
I am thinking a tear-down is in order to compare the parts to the schematics.

Maybe a top thrust washer is missing, allowing the spindle to seat lower and protrude through the back. The spindle should be a no 3 morse taper on the inner; but not sure if it has a taper or straight outer wall. The spindle may have been finished slightly undersize either on a locating flange or taper; allowing it to seat lower. Another possibility is that the base may have been machined excessively.

Happy hunting for the reason.

If everything is as it should be; I would look at removing a small amount from the bottom of the spindle. Or you could machine a recess in the mill table to accommodate the spindle:oo:. Settle down, just kidding.
I know that with my RT that there is only a few thou clearance. I checked it with a straight edge when I first got it as I thought it too may have protruded.

Cheers, Ken

mav_walrus
24th December 2010, 02:22 PM
Thanks Ken

I think you're right in saying that the base has been exessively machined, the spec for dim 'H' at Hare & Forbes shows it to be 105mm this one measures 101.6mm.

I can't pack the table and spindle up because that would foul the table locks.

Looks like I'll just have to bore a hole in the mill table ! ..... and then I could thread it and use the spindle to bolt the RT to the mill. :U

Nah ... that wouldn't work .... the threads not long enough. :C

Where's that Dremel ?

Mav

.RC.
24th December 2010, 02:46 PM
Pull it apart and shorten the bit in the lathe.... It comes apart from the table...

The table runs on a tapered roller bearing...

Bryan
24th December 2010, 02:46 PM
Girl. Haven't you got an angle grinder? :lb: :whip:

pipeclay
24th December 2010, 05:42 PM
Wonder if that is the reason you were given it,cant you just pack under it to get it clear of the table.

mav_walrus
24th December 2010, 08:32 PM
Okay, did what .RC. suggested and pulled table apart

Put MT3 mandrel through base and hit with heel of hand

Straight bearing on top and tapered below

Removed 3mm from end of cast iron spindle

Works just like a bought one !!

Merry Christmas

Mav

Dave J
24th December 2010, 10:24 PM
That fixed it :2tsup: Did the bottom of it look like it was factory ground? I am just wondering if it was a factory fault or someone had machined the base.

Dave

mav_walrus
25th December 2010, 06:59 AM
Dave

Definitely a factory fault

Mav