PDA

View Full Version : Just in time for Christmas

Big Shed
24th December 2010, 04:52 PM
Ordered some tooling from CDCO in the US and CTC Tools in Hongkong earlier this month.

The ER25-R8 chuck from CTC arrived yesterday and the big box from CDCO arrived today. I followed its' progress via tracking. It arrived in Oz on Wed 22/12 just after 4pm came out of customs at 5:23pm and arrived in Bendigo today, Friday 24/12. Well done Australia Post.

Man that R8 tooling is BIG:o

Also got a few bits and pieces for the lathe.

All I have to do now is get the new mill set up, waiting for son to arrive from Adelaide on 28/12 with the stand.

Whatever else I get from Father Christmas, I reckon I'm a happy chappy:2tsup:

wheelinround
24th December 2010, 04:58 PM
Nice haul Fred

neksmerj
24th December 2010, 05:31 PM
What a fantastic pressie, all you have to do now is get Mrs Santa to pay for it!

Merry Christmas,

Ken

Big Shed
24th December 2010, 05:39 PM
What a fantastic pressie, all you have to do now is get Mrs Santa to pay for it!

Merry Christmas,

Ken

Thanks Ken and a Merry Christmas to you. Hopefully Santa will bring you a suitable power supply for your Arboga mill:)

Com_VC
24th December 2010, 06:19 PM
Nice score there!

Out of interest what did postage set you back for all that?

Big Shed
24th December 2010, 06:21 PM
Nice score there!

Out of interest what did postage set you back for all that?

Postage for the ER25-R8 chuck from CTC Tools in HongKong was $US14.98, all the rest was from CDCO in the US and it cost $US43 in postage (Flat Rate Box)

Com_VC
24th December 2010, 06:29 PM
That sounds very reasonable!

Have you worked out how much you saved if you had bought the items from Hares & Forbes. I assume they stock the items you bought.

Big Shed
24th December 2010, 07:11 PM
That sounds very reasonable!

Have you worked out how much you saved if you had bought the items from Hares & Forbes. I assume they stock the items you bought.

No, not in detail. I have done in the past and the imported price, including postage, was usually less (sometimes far less) than 1/3 the local prices.

As an example, an ER32-R8 chuck (they don't list an ER25) at Hare and Forbes costs $135+delivery, I paid $A30 including delivery.

An R8 indexable face mill and arbor from H&F would be about $190+delivery, I paid $A55 including postage.

Some of the stuff I buy os I haven't even found a supplier for locally, not that I look very hard these. It is so easy to get on the net , order it and pay through Paypal, and have it delivered 7-10 days later.
There are very few suppliers here in Oz who can match that for convenience and price.

Com_VC
24th December 2010, 08:08 PM
Yeah I know what you mean, i've been buying a lot from ebay US recently. I've found sometimes the item can be had for 1/4 of the item in Australia.

It's convenient as well like you say, most of the shops seem to be closed by the time I finish work and usually when I do manage to go it's never in stock.

I don't know how they get away with such high prices.

I just wish I could get a lathe, milling machine and other machinary from overseas sent over cheap!

I will definatly be purchasing from CDCO and CTC in the near future though, thanks for the heads up.

Com_VC
24th December 2010, 08:21 PM
By the way is there a weight limit/package size to stick by. I noticed CDCO have a rotary table that looks similar to the 8" Vertex that hares & forbes sell for $614.90, CDCO have it for $228!

Big Shed
24th December 2010, 08:47 PM
By the way is there a weight limit/package size to stick by. I noticed CDCO have a rotary table that looks similar to the 8" Vertex that hares & forbes sell for $614.90, CDCO have it for $228!

If you want to use a Flat Rate box, then the max weight is 20lbs, from memory the size of the largest box is about 13x11x8, but don't hold me to that. The sizes are listed on the USPS site.

Of course you are not limited to these sizes/weights, you can ship larger sizes and weights but it will cost more.

Send Frank an email, he is usually quite quick in responding.

I wouldn't necessarily assume that the CDCO 8" rotab is identical in quality to the Vertex rotab though.

Com_VC
24th December 2010, 08:54 PM
Thanks,

I will look into it when the time comes, think I may have to buy myself a lathe first :)

snowyskiesau
24th December 2010, 08:57 PM
Here's a handy USPS (http://www.usps.com/prices/priority-mail-international-prices.htm) price list that covers both flat rate boxes and shipping based on weight.

As Fred said, Frank will give you quote pretty quickly. I did this a while back when looking at a 4 jaw chuck. Cheaper to buy one here once you added shipping.

Dave J
24th December 2010, 10:22 PM
I am in the same boat, I waited until December to buy up from overseas and it felt like Christmas had come early for the last few weeks, and I still have Christmas tomorrow.:D
I am still waiting for one thing from overseas that I knew would come after Christmas.

Merry Christmas :santahat: and a happy new year to everyone.:fireworks:
Dave

Stustoys
24th December 2010, 11:10 PM
Nice pretties Fred. I'm jealous. :cry4: Santa isnt bringing me a box. I'm going to have to have a word with her!

Stuart

eskimo
25th December 2010, 09:35 AM
my lot of US$260 arrived yesterday

still waiting for my 2 lots of stuff from CTC...just over a grands worth for both

and seasons greetings to all...have a drink on me, have one for me also,,,and I'll do the same for you

have a good 2011 guys ......and Gals

Dave J
25th December 2010, 12:25 PM
Best to keep CTC orders under a grand as he puts true value on the docket and customs might sting you.:o

Dave

eskimo
26th December 2010, 10:17 AM
Best to keep CTC orders under a grand as he puts true value on the docket and customs might sting you.:o

Dave

that is why I placed two seperate orders......

eskimo
30th December 2010, 08:06 AM
my 2nd xmas pressy arrived yesterday....she needs to a chatting to make sure it arrives ontime next time.....

she's also late with the third......:wink:

god bless her

Dave ..It was easier to purchase the spanners than make em