PDA

View Full Version : Timber Mouldings Supplies?

nomis
11th November 2004, 05:05 PM
Ive been having a lot of difficulty finding an appropraite second hand triple-casement window for the front of my house. So i thought id make one. Actually making it, isn't my problem, ive made a number of them before, but im not happy with the range of mouldings ive previously used. Can anyone tell me of some places around melbourne were i can get a good range of victorian and edwardian sill and sash ect.

sorry for bad spelling. Hope someone can help.

Maybe someone knows a good place for second hand triple casement windows?

Have a good day all!

S

TOMARTOM
11th November 2004, 06:26 PM
I know of a supplier here in Adelaide that produces the mouldings, maybee they have a shop that stocks their product in Melbourne. Here is the Company if you get stuck you may wish to call them for options

Tee Tree Moulding " Specialsits in Old Style Timber Mouldings"

(08) 8260 7877 Phone

(08) 8260 6988 Fax

Address: 46 Research Road, Pooracka SA 5095

regards tony

ChrisH
11th November 2004, 11:02 PM
Provans Timber in Collingwood and A. Lewis Timber in Jasper Road Ormond both have a good range of mouldings, Lewis's in particular. See www.alewistimber.com.au

Chris.

nomis
12th November 2004, 08:59 AM
Thanks very much for that, Chris. Provans is where I've gone in the past, but Lewis looks like theyve got a much bigger range.

Take care!

seriph1
12th November 2004, 06:31 PM
g'day and welcome to the forum - you will find a wealth of info and opinion here, so enjoy!
There are a bunch of places you might get triple casements from for your Edwardian (I am in touch with most of the demo yards), but if they are the ones I think they are, it might be easier to make them as you mentioned. Feel free to give me a call on 0414393878 and I will be able to advise once I get a little more info like suburb - actual style of home etc.

Maybe even take some pics and post them here so ppl can see the exact style.

George Paras, owner of Steptoe's in Collingwood is a great bloke and makes a wide range of accurate period style windows and doors. He may be willing to sell you some of his period mouldings, though I am uncertain. He may even have a casement for you there.

have fun! As mentioned, I would be keen to see any pics

Sturdee
12th November 2004, 10:36 PM
........... m**********r...........

Capedcrusader, I find your use of the above sepo swear word so offensive that I have broken one of my own cardinal rules by giving you a red rep point. :mad: :mad: :mad:

The very idea that you think one of our members has sexual intercourse with his own mother ( for that is what you are really saying ) is so insulting that I have also reported your post to a moderator. :mad:

Peter.

RETIRED
12th November 2004, 11:09 PM
I will second that!!!! As you can see it has been deleted. Try that again and you will be!!

capedcrusader
17th November 2004, 04:07 PM
Sorry folks - it was friday and I was drunk.
Who can honestly say that they dont use the word m*********er when theyre drunk????
I dont think youre meant to take it literally though - I mean - it could refer to someone elses mother.
But Sturdee I sort of agree with you so sorry.
(Ive given you a green dot).

seriph1
18th November 2004, 07:09 AM
Thanks for the apology caped ..... everyone uses various "enhancements" to their conversation - I am certainly no exception (to just about anything) - it's just that it's pretty hard to see your face (or smell your breath) when you type......

smilingly

Sturdee
18th November 2004, 03:51 PM
Sorry folks - it was friday and I was drunk.

Accepted with pleasure, let us all move on.

Peter.

leeton
18th November 2004, 08:12 PM
After reading the previous threads, I need architrave KDHW War Service profile, so I got a price from lewis & co....$13 bucks a metre, I can buy the dressed hardwood elseware for under $4, looks like I will have to buy the router bit and create my own at that price...unless anyone else has suggestions...
Leeton :mad:

seriph1
18th November 2004, 10:24 PM
If you mean "Lamb's Tongue" profile, it should be readily available from a range of sources - please post a pic of your home and if possible an example of the existing architraves and we can go from there

- if youre painting it, there's no need for it to be KDHW - bloody overkill actually ...... I dont recall ever seeing it raw or clear laquered on a 40's home

leeton
18th November 2004, 10:33 PM
Steve...
I will try and get a pic...but it is definately war service and it aint gunna be painted...most of the house has it...and it looks great...not clear varnish...wattyl stain...still shows the grain through...picture rails are the same....timber against pinted walls...looks great...
leeton

seriph1
18th November 2004, 10:58 PM
ok - thanks

is it very dark brown?

leeton
18th November 2004, 11:17 PM
yep...dark brown...walnut finish...
leeton :)

seriph1
19th November 2004, 06:40 AM
apologies - that's what I meant - I have never seen these items clear finished ie: no stain at all - therefore you can use other materials successfully. Hardwood was used extensivley, as well as what we call Red Pine - which is actually sequoia or Californian Redwood.

leeton
19th November 2004, 07:32 AM
Never used redwood...is that easy to obtain...and is it cheaper than hardwood...is it a softwood or hardwood...these arcs are going in the bathroom...going to checkout a router bit today.
leeton

seriph1
19th November 2004, 09:35 PM
Redwood is soft, but may be a "hardwood" - you wont be able to buy it new anymore - I was thinking more along the lines of getting it second hand from a demolition yard.

Hardwood and Softwood have nothing to do with timber's properties, rather with the type of tree it is - http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/Hardwoodsandsoftwoods.htm

Sorry for the boring bit :)

Depending on how much material you need, "Red Pine" arks would be a fairly common find - try Whelan's Warehouse in Plummer Street Port Melbourne - they may have some...... at one stage they wouldve had >100 metres of arks of your period, but these days they are moving to more commercial products like sheet material ...... still worth a try though. 1300 887 558

BTW I believe the profile youre looking for is readily available from places like the Pine Centre in Bakers Road Coburg - from memory, you hit it with mission brown stain a few times, then walnut and laquer it to achieve the finish

leeton
19th November 2004, 09:40 PM
Thanks once again steve...I will the place out in Coburg...I have had a brief look at Whelans...not much there when I was there last time.
Leeton

seriph1
19th November 2004, 09:44 PM
okie dokie

as mentioned - happy ot help out if you need further advice/ideas/brainstorming

just let me know what 'burb youre in (or post a pic if you can - if you have trouble loet me know and I can help) so I can get a better idea of the style of your home

seriph1
19th November 2004, 09:46 PM
BTW Pine Centre will prolly knock your socks off - they have a great range of bits

:D

seriph1
19th November 2004, 09:57 PM
taa daaaaaaaa

http://www.thepinecentre.com.au/

gotta luv the net

leeton
20th November 2004, 06:39 PM
Well. I 've decided to go for the bullnose finish...stained in Walnut...I just don't have the time to stuff around...it will look ok...I will post a photo when finished...might take some time..this bloody bathroom has been under construction for a few years now,. a few more weeks won't hurt...lol.
...thanks for the url to the pine centre steve...looks good...trouble is no prices on the web...might check it out this week.
leeton :)