PDA

View Full Version : Where to find verandah footing specs?

anna
11th November 2004, 10:01 PM
Hi All -- I need to replace the posts for our old verandah and am trying to find info on spec'ing the footings: depth, diameter, embedment depth.
I have Alan Staines excellent Decks & Pergolas book, but it specifically excludes anything with a roof beam more than 2.1m above ground (our verandah beam is at 2.4m).
I'd like to spec the footings and post embedment as a 'cantilever' post -- although the verandah _is_ bolted to the house, it is... um... less than secure (That's a job for another day, but I want the verandah to stay upright 'til then). The roof area is no more than about 3 sq.m for each post.
(Oh yeah... the house is a Heritage Item and will likely attract due interest from council et.al., so I'm keen to do it to correct spec's... otherwise I prob'ly would've gone for the psuedo-standard 450x450x600).

Thanks,
Mark & Anna.
P.S. Can anyone recommend a source of 125mm sq treated pine posts in Vic (pref. Albury/Wodonga)?

Grunt
11th November 2004, 10:13 PM
I have Alan Staines

I wonder if he has a brother in the Navy.

sandant
12th November 2004, 12:18 AM
be washing his sheets alot!

as for the question why not ring a local engineer or building approvals guy surly they can advise you on that, however what you may find is they will require soil tests and other information specific to the location and type of building to advise you correctly. I would think if you overshoot the size and depth then should have no probs.