PDA

View Full Version : Tool Boxes

smidsy
12th November 2004, 10:10 PM
Hei Guys,
Just wondering what people use for tool boxes for turning tools.
I have the case that my Carbatec chisels came in but I also have three chisels that won't fit in that case, and I've been using a mop bucket for all the odds an ends.

I am thinking of using the dimensions of the chisel case for the base, 2 draws for chisels, (with provsion for a 3rd draw as I acquire more chisels) at the bottom and have the top open with sides about 100mm high possibly with partitions for chucks, sanding gear and the like.

I know you can get those plastic tool boxes but you still have the trouble with gear floating around the bottom.
Thoughts & ideas?
Cheers
Paul

gatiep
12th November 2004, 10:28 PM
I use a Stanly Mighty Max tool box, it accepts my 620 mm 13 mm Hamlet bowl gouge quite happily, cost me $59-00. I have PVC pipe over my tool tips up to the ferrules. I cart my tools to work and back on two days a week minimum. It also has a tray that fits into it for the smaller things. At present I have 12 turning tools, a chuck and heaps of smaller items in it, It is made of metal and plastic.

Sure beats a bag for protecting my turning tools.

:)

smidsy
15th November 2004, 02:47 PM
Hei Joe,
Where did you get that mighty max from - I looked in Bunnings, and couldn't see a mighty max or anything else that had the length.

The problem is that I never know what I'm doing at Liddlelow until I get there so I tend to take everything.
What I want is a box that will take the chisels, both chucks, pen gear, sandinging gear and assorted odds and ends.

Cheers
Paul

gatiep
15th November 2004, 07:14 PM
Yep this Stanley toolbox will. I've seen them at the Ocean Reef Bunnies and I bought mine from the one in Whitfords....$59-00. They are huge!

:)

smidsy
15th November 2004, 08:15 PM
Hei Joe,
I think I saw it on my travels - silver and black and the handle folds up to become the locking mechanism?
Maybe I've got high standards but to be honest I wasn't that impressed with it.

The annoying thing is that I have tool boxes coming out my a$$ round here, just none with the length to accomodate turning chisels.

I've got one that would be perfect except for the chisels so I may hang a peice or two of 100mm storm pipe on it to take the chisels, or I may still make my own.
Cheers
Paul