PDA

View Full Version : newbie looking for a lathe

pics81
1st January 2011, 05:24 PM
Hi all

This is my first post, my dad got me a gift voucher to do a pen turning course at Pops shed (chirnside park), the guys there were very helpfull.

Now after a few months of saving i want to buy a mini lathe to do smaller objects and just get more confident.

i was wondering if anyone has some advise on what brand or type to buy, my budget is around the $400 mark to start with.

i was looking at the carbatec economy mini lathe or the ledacraft mini lathe both around the same price. are these any good

any other suggestions are much appreciated.

thanks heaps

Sturdee
1st January 2011, 06:27 PM
Hi all

This is my first post, my dad got me a gift voucher to do a pen turning course at Pops shed (chirnside park), the guys there were very helpfull.

Why don't you have a look at their mini lathes, may be just what you need.

Peter.

Rhys_holland
1st January 2011, 06:38 PM
Stu's Shed did a review on the lathe from pops shed PS Tools Mini Lathe « Stu's Shed (http://stusshed.wordpress.com/2010/02/15/ps-tools-mini-lathe/) it was quite favorable i have used one also and was quite impressed but i haven't seen either of the other two

Scott
1st January 2011, 06:55 PM
I'm currently sourcing a wood lathe and I've found that the people in the know are the best to ask as there is much more to buy/source than just the lathe itself. Go and ask the guys at Carbatec (http://www.carbatec.com.au/) offer great advice however you just cant go past Jim at Carroll's (http://www.cws.au.com/) for fantastic, personalised service.

For me, choosing a lathe has been a long, drawn out process because I just want to buy something that is going to be serviceable.

Good luck, I'm sure you're going to enjoy yourself.

pics81
1st January 2011, 07:02 PM
thanks heaps for the responses, the ps tools lathe is at the top of my list just wanted to see what the others are like too

Skew ChiDAMN!!
1st January 2011, 09:05 PM
i was looking at the carbatec economy mini lathe or the ledacraft mini lathe both around the same price. are these any good

I'm rather partial to the Ledacraft Minis, myself. Got a couple of 'em in my stash of lathes. :) They do have plastic handles on the tailstock & toolrest which tend to break with old age (& abuse :D) but the metal ones for JETs are simple replacements.

I tend to steer away from EVS minis... it honestly takes very little effort to manually reset a belt and all too often the electronics bugger up on the EVS's. Quite a few people will say "Rubbish! They're fine! Never had a problem with mine!" but I also know just as many people who've had them die and then had a hard time finding replacement parts. Our club has had it up to here (waves hand in vicinity of throat) with JET EVS's, purely because sourcing parts is so difficult and expensive.

Seeing that you're in the Croydon area, if you can make it out to Mont De Lancey homestead (http://www.montdelancey.org.au/) in Wandin... Eastern Woodturners have their club workshop there and it's usually manned and open to the public on Saturday mornings.

If they're having a quiet day and you mention that you're looking at buying a Leda mini, it's possible they may let you take one for a test-drive. Or a JET, if they've got it up & running again. :roll: I'm not making any promises, mind you!

(Or you could turn up around 7PM(ish) on the 1st or 3rd Wednesday of most months, which are the official club "meetings." Guests are awlays welcome. :;)

pics81
1st January 2011, 09:09 PM
thanks for that i actually live in seville so i know mont delancey been there a few time :U

Skew ChiDAMN!!
1st January 2011, 09:15 PM
:2tsup:

bclapcot
2nd January 2011, 10:53 PM
I've got a Woodfast M305 midi that I've been meaning to sell. It's around 6-8 months old and has barely used (mostly pens) - I upgraded to a Nova around 4 months ago as I was dragged into the vortex!!

I'm in Melbourne, so drop me a PM if you're interested.

Bernie.

pics81
3rd January 2011, 10:36 AM
I've got a Woodfast M305 midi that I've been meaning to sell. It's around 6-8 months old and has barely used (mostly pens) - I upgraded to a Nova around 4 months ago as I was dragged into the vortex!!

I'm in Melbourne, so drop me a PM if you're interested.

Bernie.

pm sent

thanks