PDA

View Full Version : First commissioned car

LiliB
1st January 2011, 05:57 PM
Hi everyone

David has just finished his first commissioned car. It is from a book of plans, and is 340mmx125mm. It is listed as an early 1930s coupe.

It was made out of jarrah, redgum, oregon and tassie oak.

The plans in the book are far less sophisticated than the Joys and Toys plans, and therefore the finished product doesn't quite have the finisse of our recent Cadillac model. I've put in a pic for comparison. The Cadillac is much bigger, and has more scope for embellishment.

We're hoping this car might open up some interest from paying customers!!!

The next project might just be a Stutz Bearcat. I am collecting photos to draw plans from. It will be a great challenge. It has lots of distinctive details that might be hard to replicate, such as seats with buttons, and brass lanterns. Even the windshield is an amazing circle of glass. A totally cool car, and now that David's said he could draw up plans, he'll have to deliver.

I've included a couple of pictures for those who don't know this car by name. It was used in the Great Race, if you ever saw that!!!

Cheers
LiliB
:U:U:U

Ps I can only take credit for quality control and the surface finish. Dave's the one with the real talent in this family

crowie
1st January 2011, 08:54 PM
G'Day LiliB & David,
Wow what top workwork.
One can see the love, time and effort in the detail.
A job well done and it's for someone else.
It'll be very hard to give it away when it looks so good.
Cheers, Crowie

munruben
1st January 2011, 09:17 PM
Nice work.

LiliB
3rd January 2011, 10:29 AM
Hi Crowie and Manruben

Thanks for the positive comments. Much appreciated.

Cheers
Lili

Yonnee
3rd January 2011, 10:01 PM
I am so looking forward to getting into making models like these, I can only hope they turn out as good as David's.
Truely an inspiration.

LiliB
4th January 2011, 08:12 AM
Hi Yonnee
I'm glad someone else will be joining the model making brigade. It's quite addictive, though.

Please feel free to put any technical questions to David or me. I think David would have encountered most of the day to day challenges in making these and would be happy to help with ideas.

Some of the plans require modfication to make them work well. Especially those from the book he uses occasionally.(Antique cars and trucks you can make). They assume, also, that you'll be buying your wheels and lights, a costly exercise if you get them from the US.

Cheers
LiliB

Yonnee
4th January 2011, 03:31 PM
David / Lilli,
the grill in the front on shot. Looks like aluminium flyscreen material. Is that the case?

LiliB
5th January 2011, 12:07 PM
Hi Yonnee

Indeed it is. It's the closest thing we could find to simulate radiator grille material. The best stuff is the new 'crimsafe' type stuff. Very fine in the weave.It's the only piece that is not wood in the car.

Cheers
LiliB

Yonnee
5th January 2011, 05:46 PM
Thanks Lil.
See, I don't mind so much the little touches like that, that are not made from timber. I'm the sort of modeller that adds spark plug leads and battery wiring to my plastic model cars. :2tsup:

LiliB
5th January 2011, 08:46 PM
Hi Yonnee

Good of you to say so. We'll have to add some spark plug and battery leads to our next one for you!!! Maybe I can get Dave to make a hotrod with an exposed engine. You can really let yourself go on something like that.

Seriously, though, I'm not too fussed about using materials other than wood in a minor way, because it's the illusion of the car you try to create, and anything that helps that is fair game, I say.

Dave is currently trying to work out how to do wire wheels for his 1930's sports cars, and he will probably opt to use wire, rather than toothpicks. It all depends on what looks best.

Cheers
LiliB

crowie
5th January 2011, 09:00 PM
Keep it coming LiliB & David,
I'm finding it so fascinating what you're doing.
I'll hope to aspire to your level of models one day.
Cheers, Crowie

LiliB
5th January 2011, 09:18 PM
Thanks Crowie

I have watched while David has increased his skill level during the last two years. He has only been woodworking for roughly that time. He's got a mechanical background, so he has a head start in knowing roughly how things are put together, and how they work.

Really, it is a great deal of practice and a willingness to solve practical problems. The more specialized tools you've got, the easier a lot of problems are to solve. It also helps to have others to give you advice and constructive criticism. And to give you the benefit of their hard won experience with problem areas.

Three illustrations of useful tools - a linisher and bobbin sander to bring down pieces accurately, and a band saw, which David is using more now than the scroll saw.

For example, the roof on the little Coupe and the Cadillac were both done with the band saw and involved considerably less effort than previously where he might have used a Dremel to shape the 'soft top'. You can cut lovely curved shapes on the bandsaw. But it's a challenging tool to set up properly.

The other main thing I believe is that you have to develop your own idea on quality control. There will always be people who can do it much better than you can, and I always use them as my bench mark.

Nine Fingers and Powdpost are two who spring to mind. Their work is more than just a model, it's a work of art. I doubt David will ever get to that standard, but he'll keep improving until he reaches his best possible level.

I often find that when something is photographed, it shouts mistakes at you and then you can rectify it before it's too late.

Anyhow enough of my chatter, I'll be making you tired!!!
Cheers
LiliB

Mutawintji
27th February 2013, 07:40 AM
because it's the illusion of the car you try to create

I'm gunna pin these words to the wall of my liddle workshop. So true.

Greg