PDA

View Full Version : Buying 1st lathe - what horsepower?

wsal
3rd January 2011, 06:07 PM
Hey guys, I'm looking to get my first lathe, and have been mostly look at the mini lathes from Leda, Jet etc. with 0.5HP motors. What kind of work is a 0.5HP motor capable of?

My initial intentions for turning will be small things like chisel handles, chess pieces, pens etc. but in the event that I 'catch the bug' would a motor like that be enough for small bowls, say 15-20cm diameter?

How about the ubiquitous MC900, with a 1HP motor? What is 1HP capable of producing?

Cheers
Will

rsser
3rd January 2011, 06:09 PM
Quite a lot.

Certainly those bowl sizes you mention and bigger with slower or smaller cuts.

I started with an MC900, as did many other forum members, and it can do some good work with care.

wsal
3rd January 2011, 06:39 PM
Thanks Ern, just to clarify, are you saying you can get quite a lot done with the 0.5 or the 1HP motor?
Cheers
Will

Mr Brush
3rd January 2011, 06:50 PM
I recently got the JET 1220 Midi which is 3/4 hp, and its easily capable of that kind of work.

My requirements were very similar to yours - mainly smaller spindle work, option of an extension bed if required for longer stuff, plus maybe a small bowl or two.
:2tsup:

rsser
3rd January 2011, 07:05 PM
Sorry Will, I no longer recall what grunt my MC900 had.

These units can vary quite a lot anyway. As Skew says, there's horse power and hamster power and regrettably much of what comes out of China is the latter.

With lathe quality and design there are many variables.

If you're not really squeezed for funds then my 2c worth is to look beyond the MC900s. Don't discount the Woodfast midi lathe; there are many contented users of this unit.

And Jet as Mr B has mentioned and is already in your frame.

hughie
4th January 2011, 04:35 PM
I started out with MC1100 with a 1hp motor. It ran well although as mentioned it might not have been the full 1hp.:C :U
But having said that I would not recommend anything less, because I have never met a turner yet who remained at the lower end of the power spectrum.:no:
As you get more proficient you will go on to bigger and better projects requiring more power especially if you have a .5hp motor. 1hp is a standard motor size with good reason as it can handle most, if all not the hobby turner throws at it.

rsser
4th January 2011, 05:25 PM
Yes. My pref is to cry once, by buying well.

And if the unit that caused the tears no longer suits you, it's not hard to sell a recognised brand lathe.