PDA

View Full Version : He does what for a living

wheelinround
4th January 2011, 08:11 AM
This is Shed envy (http://blog.woodworking-magazine.com/blog/European+Dreaming+A+Visit+To+Kent+Adkinss+Shop.aspx?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+woodworkingmagazine+%28Woodworking+Magazine%29)

fubar
4th January 2011, 09:27 AM
so thats whats achievable when money is no object
well just to be clear this is not an attack just envy and hope i could do something similar

Woody1
4th January 2011, 10:41 AM
If I ever won Tatslotto that is exactly what I would do.:U I am envious

Shuttle
4th January 2011, 12:02 PM
Hi All

I would seem that the link to the workshop and the slideshow ( and yes I am envious ) stirred up some adverse comments on the forums that posted the original link. The forum owner has responded.

Here is the link :

Woodworking blog Woodworking Magazine - Dr. Adkins's Shop, Revisited (http://blog.woodworking-magazine.com/blog/Dr+Adkinss+Shop+Revisited.aspx?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+woodworkingmagazine+%28Woodworking+Magazine%29)

Shuttle

Skew ChiDAMN!!
4th January 2011, 02:43 PM
Yowsers! That is one nice workshop.

Pity Chris Schwarz had to post that response... it seems that some people don't cope with envy well and turn it into personal attacks. :sigh: Tall Poppy Syndrome, I guess.

Lignum
4th January 2011, 02:48 PM
If I ever won Tatslotto that is exactly what I would do.:U I am envious

If I won lotto, im going to build the ultimate amateur surgery, and learn how to do a few appendectomies and minor amputations for my mates free of charge. :rolleyes:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
4th January 2011, 02:51 PM
I gather you wouldn't be buying a Sawstop then? :U

Waldo
4th January 2011, 02:57 PM
Mmmm, nice.

I'd love to have his shed, jointer, drum sander and his dusty set-up. I'd be very happy with that. :yes:

Mike Busby
6th January 2011, 10:40 AM
That sheds got a better floor than my lounge room. :no:

But has he got a BBQ, beer fridge Cricket / Football TV and a radio permanently glued to ABC Radio National? :;

Nah didn't think so I will stick with my shed thanks.

Hmm win lotto and buy machinery for shed, what a sterling idiea. I will get the missus straight on to that today then.

Sawdust Maker
6th January 2011, 04:55 PM
That shed looked bigger then my house, sigh

Lyle
7th January 2011, 02:21 PM
How can he possibly work in that shed. :o
Nothing to trip over or bump into. Too clean by far, no glue or paint drips on the floor. :no:

I think I should go visit him and see if I can help him get some 'patina' into the shed.:2tsup:

TomH
7th January 2011, 09:55 PM
I hope there's some impressive woodworking coming out of that shed.

Surely there's only so much woodworking possible without it being a commercial pursuit!!

munruben
7th January 2011, 10:39 PM
How can he possibly work in that shed. :o
Nothing to trip over or bump into. Too clean by far, no glue or paint drips on the floor. :no:

I agree, I think I would feel uncomfortable working in that shed.:)

Lignum
7th January 2011, 11:50 PM
I agree, I think I would feel uncomfortable working in that shed.:)

Its one of the most bland and passionless workshops I have seen in person or on the net. He is a surgeon, the workshop reflects his profession, he is not a woodie.

That said, Im still trying to work out why an amateur woodie hobbyist needs a full Martin kit like the good Doctor has. :?

ian
8th January 2011, 05:57 AM
I'm still trying to work out why an amateur woodie hobbyist needs a full Martin kit like the good Doctor has. :?for the same reason that an amateur photographer buys a professional grade Canon or Nikon digital SLR -- because they can.

to continue with the photography example, what sticks in my craw is people who buy the top line DSLR and leave it set on AUTO and/or marry it with a cheap or all purpose lens.

This guy can afford to buy good tools and, according to Chris Schwartz, he turns out decent furniture as well.

Good luck to him.

skot
8th January 2011, 09:16 AM
How can he possibly work in that shed.
Nothing to trip over or bump into. Too clean by far, no glue or paint drips on the floor.

Lyle, LOL ...know what you mean, I count the bruises on my hips when I make a quick turn to get a tool off the bench and hit the outfeed table of the thicknesser