PDA

View Full Version : Termites

Grommett
5th January 2011, 11:32 AM
I have just turned a large redgum burl to find active termites living in it. I'd like to save it but not at the cost of introducing the little darlings to the house. Any suggestions? I was going to finish the inside with danish oil cut with turps, would this discourage them?

Cheers all and all the best for 2011.

Grommett

turnerted
5th January 2011, 12:57 PM
G'day
Zap it in the microwave for a couple of minutes or put it in a sealed plastic bag and leave in the deepfreeze for a couple of days .
Ted

Grommett
5th January 2011, 01:57 PM
Thanks Ted. It's a bit big for the microwave, and I can see my wife's face if I tried, but the deep freeze is an option.

orraloon
5th January 2011, 04:07 PM
Grommett,
Ok with the offending critters chilling out it is time to check out your wood storage for more signs. If you have not had a pest inspection done for a while then perhaps now is the time. Those little bu&&ers will eat you out of house and home.
Regards
John

Grommett
5th January 2011, 04:33 PM
Yes they can be a disaster in a house. Onetime I leaned on the toilet wall and went straight through, only the paint was there. Fortunately this burl only arrived a couple of weeks ago and has been on the shed floor (concrete) the whole time. It came from up on the Murray and I suspect the nest stayed there and these are just remnant hitchhikers.

But I think its a good reminder that we should all turn over our timber piles.

Cheers

wm460
5th January 2011, 05:18 PM
Put it on a ant nest, black ants love white ants.
Environmentally friendly pest control.

Grommett
5th January 2011, 06:16 PM
I love the lateral thinking here. Its so much better than spraying the little loves. I also found that termites like dark and damp, so having opened up the burl and having it in full sun might discourage them further.

RETIRED
5th January 2011, 07:03 PM
Not a bad little spot to live either Grommet. Are you a member of Hartleys Harem in Wonthaggi?:D

Grommett
5th January 2011, 08:01 PM
I replaced him as secretary while still being the treasurer. You can call me Michael.

brendan stemp
6th January 2011, 11:01 AM
from what I understand of termites (especially the ones around my way) is that they will not live long if they are cut off from their nest. And their nests are usually in the ground. So if you have them in a burl they are unlikely to be near their nest any more so they should just die, eventually.

skot
7th January 2011, 09:12 AM
brenden is correct, if not connected to their ground nest they shouldn't last long. Although Termites can do considerable damage if left unchecked, they are rather fragile critters outside their mounds.

Just don't put the timber back on the ground

Grommett
8th February 2011, 03:15 PM
To everyone who replied to my query many thanks. In the end hollowing out the burl exposing it to light and air and lack of moisture did for them. I have posted some pictures in my album and hopefully the link works (first attempt at both burls and adding pictures to a post, be kind)

http://www.woodworkforums.com/members/61299-grommett/albums/woodwork-general/

Treecycle
10th February 2011, 01:09 PM
Not sure if I am doing something wrong, but I looked at your album and the thumbnails are bigger than the actual photos. Is there a problem, or is it me?

RETIRED
10th February 2011, 04:08 PM
I have reported it and we will look at it. I get the same thing.

Grommett
10th February 2011, 06:02 PM
I see what you mean. I have no idea. I uploaded the pics from camedia and thought they looked OK. I didn't try to double click on the photo. Hmmmm.

Ed Reiss
11th February 2011, 12:25 PM
Train the little buggers to do your rough-outs for you...make 'em earn their keep!!!:U

Grommett
16th February 2011, 02:15 PM
I have reloaded the pics in my album and the problem seems to have gone away.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/members/61299-grommett/albums/woodwork-general/

Treecycle
16th February 2011, 05:37 PM
Working good now.