PDA

View Full Version : Wrist fracture, first anniversary

rsser
5th January 2011, 02:35 PM
Just an update ...

The paw is pretty good now. Has better than standard range of movement and strength.

Over the rehab period there was a lot of pain, bad nights' sleep and uncertainty about the future. I got a lot of support and advice from forum members which helped me get through that time.

I also had some days when grumpy and made some caustic posts; mostly with a bit of reflection I got back and made my apologies.

Another positive about the experience was that with some effort I could identify and get excellent health care paid for by the TAC.

These days I'm still limited. There's an older thumb injury and arthritis has set in, and with the wrist it's a bit like what I imagine the experience of those eccentric Poms to be, who stow their ferrets down their trousers. Fine when quiet but the bites are painful though erratic :D

So now I'm up to some heavy work in the yard and keenly waiting for calluses to form on the palms. (My hands that is, not the vegetation :rolleyes: )

Foo
6th January 2011, 05:57 PM
Happy days ahead for you! :D

rsser
6th January 2011, 06:27 PM
Thanks Foo.

Can only get better :D

rrobor
6th January 2011, 07:03 PM
I have rather fragile bones, due to that, or reasons unknown I developed Rheumatoid Arthritis.
It caused me to have to retire at an early age, But it also taught me many things.
First , Pain has facets, is it an unknown ache, one you can fix, or something you must accept. Toothache is excruciating, Why, because you silly begger you didnt brush the ivories well enough. My foot burns, that I can ignore, it is normal. As we grow older, we all have to learn to accept what comes. Fighting pain and discomfort is a folly. Focusing on a pain when you understand the cause is another. Pain is the bodies mechanism for passig to you its problems. Understand, accept, and move on.
Yes its easy to say but harder to do.
My method is to understand what is happening. I believe if your brain understands the messeges it gets it can deal with them. Toothache as I say, you are going to suffer.
So please consider these lines and figure out how you can deal with what is yours to deal with.
Understanding you is your first priority.

Foo
6th January 2011, 08:38 PM
Hi Rrobor,

What you say is very true, and I for one, agree with your out look! I am lucky in a sense, that i have a high thresh hold to pain. Over the years I have had many doctors and physios have remarked at how I have been able to do the things that I do. :o

Never underestimate the power of the mind, the hardest thing is training it to block as much as possible out.Then again I have been told that I am a stubborn so and so! :U

Foo

Ricardito
8th January 2011, 11:54 PM
Hi Rrobor, Never underestimate the power of the mind, the hardest thing is training it to block as much as possible out. Foo Glad that you are in full recovery mode rsser nothing less for this New Year True, true Foo I still not understand how my wife coped with so much extreme pain and suffering for eleven months yet she still alive.I think this is a lesson for me but I do not wish to be in that position to test myself.

munruben
10th January 2011, 09:09 AM
Glad to hear of the improvement. I know the pain involved with this kind of an injury having broken my wrist and arm a couple of years or so ago; took over a year to heal and even then not 100%. I had the same problem with Arthritis in the early stages of my healing process, apparently that happens due to a shock to the area of the injury,You are over the worst now and it will improve day by day. :2tsup:

rsser
10th January 2011, 10:33 AM
Thanks guys, and for the perspectives on the matter.