PDA

View Full Version : Mill Y-axis Slide Grooves

electrosteam
5th January 2011, 06:08 PM
My Kondia FV-1 turret mill is - slowly - coming together.
The head is operating fine and I am working on the slides.

The photos of the slideways on the LHS of the Y-axis show a deep groove, about 0.25 mm each side.

The general surfaces are not as-new, but certainly OK to use with the original scraping showing through in some areas.

Any suggestions on corrective action(s) ?
Do I suffer anything if I put it back into service like this ?

John

Greg Q
5th January 2011, 08:22 PM
Any suggestions on corrective action(s) ?
Do I suffer anything if I put it back into service like this ?

John

Make sure you stone it lightly to remove any burr remaining from the original damage. I'd run it as-is given the relatively small area of the groove-the undamaged portion of the way is more than adequate.

The repair strategy would involve grinding the ways back to a pristine condition then building up the mating part with a way liner material, then re-scraping for bearing. Lots of work.

Just ensure that the mating way is inspected and likewise stoned for burrs. The offending chip might still be lodged between the ways. Then ensure the felts and covers are renewed and the oilers all work and have a ready supply of way oil (ISO 220 at a guess)

Greg

Dave J
5th January 2011, 09:05 PM
Greg has given some good advice above so their is no use repeating it.
It's nasty looking but will run fine, it will just act like an extra reservoir for oil.

Dave

electrosteam
5th January 2011, 09:59 PM
Thanks guys for the advice.

I have just come in from the workshop cleaning the slides and I have already carefully stoned the grooves slightly.
Like Greg, I am concerned that the foreign object(s) may still be there.
My next action will be to set up some good lights and magnification, and use a sharp scriber to probe around to see if I can see anything.

John.