PDA

View Full Version : Motor mounting for cyclone

PhillipBrown
14th November 2004, 09:39 AM
I'm in the process of building a cyclone for my shop. I've got a Jet DC1900 blower and motor which comes with the motor mounts etc. All the research I have done shows the motor and blower attached directly to the top of the cylone, with the motor in a vertical position. I am thinking of mounting the motor and blower in a horizontal position above the filter stack, with a 9" ninety degree bend out of the top of the cyclone into the blower, with the blower blowing straight down into the filters. I can't see why this configuration should be any worse than the vertical one ( provides some benefits for installation and disassembly), but does anyone have any thoughts, or other information?

Wood Butcher
14th November 2004, 09:24 PM
From experience I can say that it won't make too much difference in performance and I think that it would be easier to make and service.

GeoffS
19th November 2004, 05:55 PM
Phillip - I've been away and therefore a bit slow to respond.

Have a look at my web site (address below) and you will see what I have done. My blower and motor (3 ph 3 HP) is at floor level. I have a 'u' bend at the top and a 6" pipe down to the blower. I simply couldn't find (a) the space and (b) the strength to put the motor on the top!

What your proposing should be no problem at all.

Cheers

PhillipBrown
20th November 2004, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I must admit, the weight is a bit daunting. I'm planning on mounting the motor and blower on top of a ~4ft by 2ft platform and hopefully lifting that up to the ceiling with block and tackle, then mounting the cyclone and filter stack to the underside of the platform, with the whole lot suspended on anti-vibration mountings from the rafters. Mounting it on the floor crossed my mind as well (even under the floor), so I guess I'll get it up and see how it goes.

Geoff, like your bench. It's very similar to mine. I put an extra row of dog holes down the length of the bench in front of the tool tray, which is usefull. The only thing I would have done different on mine would have been to put twin screws on the front vyce...I'll probably get around to that one day.

Sorry about the slow responses...computeers been off line for a week. Hopefully the dust extractor will be more reliable!

Phillip