PDA

View Full Version : Sash Window Balances

meaning
14th November 2004, 11:06 AM
Hi all

We have a very icky, sticky and generally dicky couple of sash windows in our spare room that I'm trying to fix up before we replaster. A couple of the spring balances have busted and I'm looking at replacement options.

The type we have are the long spiral springs that are fixed at the top of the window frame and housed in tubes. Spiral-shaped rods are attached to the bottoms of the sashes and slide up into the springs as the windows are raised, working against the springs as they're lowered.

They don't really look all that cheap or readily available. My first question is does anyone know where to get them?

I could probably fix them but the spring strength would be different on each side, making the windows wonky all over again (I think). Also I think the tubes look a bit yuck. SO does anyone know what other options there are? Are moden sash windows made, and if so, what do they use?

cheers!
Meaning

nine fingers
14th November 2004, 05:11 PM
look up whitco sash balances on google. Would have to be ordered in from a good hardware store.

meaning
14th November 2004, 11:09 PM
Thanks, ninefingers! (dare I ask?)

Apart from telling me that St Albans is within 10km of Ferntree Gully and Rotorua NZ within 50km, they had some good specs and info (http://www.whitco.com.au)!

I'll call Emerald Co-op Mitre 10 in the morning.

Does anyone have any experience with jamb liners?

cheers
meaning