PDA

View Full Version : Laminate paint

14th November 2004, 01:07 PM
Hi there everyone,

I was reading the Mitre 10 magazine and there was an article about a kitchen makeover. The article mentions a urethane paint product from Germany that apparently is brilliant for painting laminate kitchen doors. Is there anybody that could advise me on where I could find out more information about this product. I have tried to do a google search but to no avail.

Thanking you

Sprog
14th November 2004, 05:43 PM
Have a look at ESP, allows you paint over just about anything

http://www.floodaustralia.net/products/esp.htm

You can even get a free sample to try it out :D

http://www.floodaustralia.net/freesample.htm

seriph1
14th November 2004, 05:53 PM
Hi and welcome to the Forum! You will find a wealth of knowledge (and opinon) here and a whole bunch of folks willing and ready to lend a hand - or brain I guess.

:D

I have seen ESP at work and I think it's amazing. the particular laminate paint youre referring to is probably a proprietary paint product and likely to be sold through Mitre 10 - would be worth giving them a try first...... but if you go with ESP as SPROG suggests, I reckon it will work fine.

Look forward to following the story as it unfolds ......

have fun

scooter
14th November 2004, 10:19 PM
White Knight make a laminate paint, I think they recommend it for cupboards, etc, not for benchtops.

Should be stocked by the majors.

Of prime (pardon the pun :o ) importance would probably be the efforts put into preparation.

Cheers..........Sean, he with the '60s pink enamelled kitchen cupboard doors :)

15th November 2004, 02:55 PM
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. Had a look at the site and it looks great. Can I use the ESP before I paint MDF boards and will they then need a gloss paint or do I use the Laminate paint by White Knight??????

Thanks again

Sprog
16th November 2004, 03:07 PM
Hi Guys,

Can I use the ESP before I paint MDF boards and will they then need a gloss paint or do I use the Laminate paint by White Knight??????

If you are painting bare MDF you need MDF primer then a gloss paint of your choice.

If you are painting over laminate then use ESP first then paint as you would normally with your choice of paint.

An email to the paint manufacturer always results in getting the right information for the job you want to do, they will also recommend the correct product to use.

Pollyanna
24th October 2007, 12:19 AM
Thought I'd jump on this thread even though it is old...

Has anyone actually used a laminate paint? I'd like to know if comes up alright or if it looks cheap?

Any tips on using it?

Don777
24th October 2007, 02:55 PM
I have used white knight tile paint. on kitchen splash back tiles
worked a treat, ( 3 years ago )
Just redid it as added more tiled area ( kitchen reno )
but preperation is very important, on under coat/primer, if you can see roughness, brush marks you will see it in the top coat, use a good brush and flowing strokes, tile can hide some mark but with a plain smooth surface, it would be all care.

Ps tried it in the bathroom, shower over bath. dont do it.. it lasted about a year, ended up retiling the lot, but had a water leak.

Good luck Don

bethkil
21st December 2007, 08:55 PM
Newbie here, hopping onto this thread a bit late but, has anyone painted their laminate benchtops and with what?

Eli
21st December 2007, 10:52 PM
No one on this thread did. I think the consensus was no counters, just cabinets. And not in the shower.

bethkil
22nd December 2007, 09:31 PM
Thanks Eli. Spoke to a painter today who suggested the following for bench tops.

Use White Knight Grip Lock water base undercoat (he reckons it even makes paint stick to glass like the proverbial to a blanket), also said wouldn't need all the fussy prep, just fill in any cracks/holes with a water base wood filler, then light sand. He says I can then use any paint, even GLOSS, as long as it is left to dry for a good 2 days, although he said he thought Wattyl was a better "sticker". Anyway, think I'll give it a go on a small benchtop. Works out a lot cheaper than the whole White Knight experience as well.

Cutting Edge
23rd December 2007, 07:41 PM
Is it a kitchen benchtop that you want to paint?

I would never use a brush painted bench top for anything else than a TV cabinet.

It wears far to easily.

Eli
23rd December 2007, 09:11 PM
Let us know how you go if you do, my guess is you'll be replacing the entire thing within a few months. Like CE said with wear and scrubbing no matter what you use to paint it, the old top will show up again like people looking for free beer. (the inlaws just left)