PDA

View Full Version : new Start I had hoped.

lonesomebob
8th January 2011, 09:19 AM
After a long kind of dumb summer, I got the shop cleaned up,installed an 88% natural gas furnace. The new heat is great,except that my shop is about 25 YDS from the house. Winter when it finally set in , has been so cold and windy that, dashing out there ,at my 79 years ,is kind of daunting. . Wind chill is the thing. Thanks for letting me gripe, probably safe to do so ,as you are so far away that no one will call and tease me for being a wimp. B:roll:

Big Shed
8th January 2011, 09:24 AM
We seem to have opposite problems, it is heading to 35C here today, gets a bit warm in my (non-airconditioned) shed:doh:

Not familiar with a "88% natural gas heater", could you tell me what that means.

Stay warm:2tsup:

lonesomebob
8th January 2011, 01:22 PM
I really hoped someone would be where it is warm,. 88% furnace is government registered to be 88% efficient in the use of the amount of gas used, To the amount of heat gained.Our newest furnaces are listed to 98.4% efficient. Any Thing like water heaters that use Natural gas or liquid propane are supposed to give some guarantee of what you can expect in the way of heat from fuel used. Even electric.Our temp here has been between 18 and 24 degrees F. the wind has been vicious and the snow going sideways. wind chill is around minus 10 to 8 or 10 degrees. F .I am in the state of Michigan ,about half way up the state in the middle..To keep things from rusting and freezing in the shop, I try to keep the temp around 35 to 45 Otherwise glue freezes and paint too. Sorry but I dont do centegrade or metric That is for you kids. Bob Holton AKA [email protected]

Big Shed
8th January 2011, 01:42 PM
Thank you Bob, that explanation makes sense.

My 67th birthday is coming up shortly, so"kid" is comparative:D

35C = 93.8F

Warm in other words.

Here in Central Victoria, about 120 miles north of Melbourne Australia we often go over 100F in summer, in winter day time temps are around the 13C or 55F, overnight it can drop to -5C or 23F

Sawdust Maker
10th January 2011, 12:25 PM
Only got up to 29 degrees here yesterday, nice day but really muggy - don't know what the humidity was but made the shed nearly unbearable

I can only imagine that sort of wind chill

lonesomebob
11th January 2011, 03:59 AM
When you step out the door,in a wind chill setting, your breath is whipped away with the velocity of the wind . Any exposed skin is cold!! your nose begins to hurt ant your throat constricts, the top of the ears is first to lose feeling ,if exposed, and gloves arnt worth anything, mittens are the thing. We have only 4 months of summer and 8 months of very poor sledding. I know I am whimpering. Ita worse the further north you go. just a wimp. Bob

lonesomebob
12th January 2011, 06:04 AM
It is snowing like everything 23 degrees F no wind . snow about 6 in today. very nice out. bob