PDA

View Full Version : Foil-back poly insulation or concertina batts?

blt
14th November 2004, 10:41 PM
Hi - yet another insulation question!

I've been hunting everywhere, but can't find any foil-backed polyester batts. I'm sure I saw them quite a while ago, but now I think I might've been mistaken and they don't really exist - has anyone seen such a thing? Or, any ideas on who might have them (in brissie).

Failing that, I'm interested in concertina foil batts (as seen here http://www.concertinafoilbatts.com/ (http://www.concertinafoilbatts.com/) ) - does anyone have experience with these? Our main concern is stopping radiant heat from the roof - not too fussed about keeping heat in for winter. We have a tiled roof, no sarking or foil.

Wildman
15th November 2004, 03:54 PM
Have you had a look at foilboard?

www.foilboard.com.au

Easy to handle, assuming you can get into the roof cavity with the sheets or you are able to remove the existing roofing from the outside to put them in. Very effective and not too expensive (but not too cheap either). I am about to pull off all my weatherboards and put foilboard underneath them. They are also generally more effective at keeping heat out rather than in as well making them well suited to Queensland.

Cheers
Ben

brettdel
15th November 2004, 08:09 PM
G’day BLT,

We used triple layered silver batts (http://www.insulationsuperstore.com.au/Products/Silverbatts/silver_batts.html) in our ceiling (cathedral type) and wouldn’t hesitate to use them again.

Did our walls in the concertina batts and once again a pleasure to use.

Took my own temp readings after insulation and from memory (they’re stored away somewhere) got 13 deg temp drop in the roof and 11 deg in the walls.

Brett

Cliff Rogers
15th November 2004, 10:20 PM
G'day.

The foil insulation was covered in a thread a couple of months ago.

Here's something else to check out.

www.solartex.com.au

blt
15th November 2004, 10:28 PM
Thanks very much for the info guys - the foil products look very promising (there's a lot more to choose from now... I looked about 12mths ago and could only find one foil product which was basically sarking).

Turns out that the Insulation superstore is just up the road in Springwood, so I might drop in and take a look at the different types of insulations.

Thanks again! :cool:

soundman
15th November 2004, 10:44 PM
I was looking for foil backed poly too a while ago & spoke to QIS (aka insulation superstore) te upshot was that it can be got but at the price its not worth it.
the straight poly stuff is prety good & good to work with poly/wool is better if you want to pay the extra.
I'm not keen on the foil concertina bats as ive seen them in a few cielings & they dont stand up to any trafic from electricians ect.

cheers

jackiew
16th November 2004, 08:28 AM
for the once in a blue moon time when an electrician goes up in the loft you can probably go up there first and just move any concertina foil batts out of the way. When they are in the loft you don't fix them to anything.

blt
16th November 2004, 06:57 PM
Well, after doing the rounds of suppliers/products today we ended up ordering R6 triple-layer silverbatts like brettdel mentioned... got them for $8/m2 supply only (which seemed like an ok price after getting heaps of quotes. Or at least, I hope it is!).
Interestingly, 99% of insulation places we contacted *very* heavily pushed cellulose loose-fill insulation, to the extent of ridiculing the other varieties of insulation they sold (glasswool, foils, poly etc etc). None of them could really say WHY they thought it was so fantastic, but it was kinda strange they were so insistent... I wouldn't be too keen on it wafting out our downlights :)

Cliff Rogers
16th November 2004, 11:25 PM
G'day.

I did a quick google on aus sites only on "cellulose loose-fill insulation"....

wow, :confused:

It's gotta be cheap but..... here's another story to get you thinking...

We have a carton of parts for quick response to calls to 24 hour service stations
stored at our workshop, & I had to open them the other day to get a bit out
for a job. I found that the parts had been packed & stored in that rice bubble stuff.
It's great 'cos it enviormentally friendly, hell, if you are hungry you can eat the but,
so can the mice & the roachs, I had a carton full of parts packed in mostly
vermit , what a mess.

My point is, I hate working with fibre glass, it's a pain, & if a mouse or a roach
decides to have a nibble on any of the foil, it's gunna make his filings stand on end....
so, I reckon the foil wins for me.

Try & educate your dumb sparky to like & look after the foil 'cos I bet he doesn't
like having to work in & around the fibre glass or the vermin .

My opinion.... :rolleyes: