PDA

View Full Version : Help with Kitchen Design possible paid job

namtrak
15th November 2004, 12:23 PM
Im just in the middle of renovating our house, refer to previous photos of holes in roof and floor. I am looking to replace our kitchen, however I dont trust myself enough to come with an accurate cutting list for the supplier.

I will be adding doors and benchtop post installation, however I am hoping there is someone on the boards who has the werewithall to provide me a with a cutting list.

I've got the measurements of all the bits and pieces and can provide photos as required.

Cheers

Trav
15th November 2004, 01:05 PM
Aren't you better off buying flat packed cupboards? They are cheap and easy. Cutting yourself sounds like a pain and could possibly be more expensive if you are getting someone else to do the cutting.

Trav

seriph1
15th November 2004, 01:30 PM
if you google "free cutting list program" or similar, you will get just that

:D

I agree that flat pack is easiest, just far from cheapest IF and only IF you know what youre doing.....

namtrak
15th November 2004, 01:33 PM
The prob with flat packed cupboards is that I am paying for the doors and benchtops, which aren't going to be used. I just priced some sets at Bunnings.

Cheers

Guy
15th November 2004, 01:52 PM
Companies like Plyboard in Melbourne and several others i can name sell kitchens in flatpack form without doors or benchtops. These are usually extra, also stay away from thos at bunnings they are expensive.
If you want a pricelist from Plyboard email them on [email protected] and ask them to send you one out, nt sure they ship interstate but there is no harm in asking.
Guy
PS would love to do the jonb for you but im too far away.

namtrak
15th November 2004, 02:07 PM
PS would love to do the jonb for you but im too far away.

I was wondering if you could do the cutlist from afar?

Cheers

simon c
15th November 2004, 02:18 PM
If you stick to standard sizes, you should be able to get the carcasses from any kitchen supply chain as they normally sell them in modular form (ie you buy a number carcasses of this size and add this many drawers, cupboards etc). Even the likes of Ikea do that. It would certainly be much more expnesive to do it yourself. The only problem is if you have non-standard sizes. It would be wise to search out a supplier of flat pack kitchen carcasses and then see what their standard sizes are and use that as a guide to fit the kitchen.

Simon

Guy
15th November 2004, 02:25 PM
I am interested, but due to the distance and the cost of my time you would be better off buying this program.
Hettich Selection it is real easy to use and give you a material and a cut list of the cabinets.
The manual is here
http://www.hettich.com/software/downloads/Manual_Selection_1_3_en.pdf
and
http://www.hettich.com/software/downloads/SelectionMail_A4_GB.pdf

Cost is about $180 and is based on autocad and includes lifetime updates.

conatct hettich here
http://www.hettich.com.au/index_162.htm

Trav
16th November 2004, 01:57 PM
Namtrak

Check out this place - www.kitset.com.au. They are based down your way somewhere and they do flatpacks and carcasses. I think you could probably get them without doors and benchtops. If nothing else, the website will give you some ideas.

The stuff in Bunnings is crap and is not worth thinking about (IMHO).

Trav

namtrak
16th November 2004, 03:08 PM
trav, this is exactly what I am looking for!!

Bunnings, sell their units with doors and tops (which i didnt want) and also had separate kickboards for each unit, which meant you would have joins right along the length of the kickboard - looks cheap.

Kitchen suppliers locally either need accurate cutlists or want to do the job in its entirity, there was no middle ground. These guys can supply a kitchen to our door without doors and benchtops - superb!! And they come up with the cutlist which precludes my mathematical inability!!

I will keep people posted on how it all goes..

Cheers

arms
17th November 2004, 07:46 PM
go to www.armstrongcabinets.com.au/kib.htm (http://www.armstrongcabinets.com.au/kib.htm) for flat pack kitchens over the net
kind regards
tom

vsquizz
17th November 2004, 09:03 PM
I'm just finishing off one kitchen and about to start another two. I do up a sketch of the major critical dimensions and the layout I require. I then go and order the cabinets from a local kitchen mob, (cheap as chips) instal them and get everything (plumbing etc) sorted. I then measure up and make or order the bench top. Takes some time but works well for me. I can't make the cabinets myself for the price the pro's can knock them up. A good kitchen mob will discuss the finer points and offer suggestions. Just remember the design is yours. The cabinets arrive pre-assembled and delivery makes it very worthwile. You can then do as you please.

Heres some pics showing a before and during. These cabinets were ordered with doors.

Cheers

seriph1
18th November 2004, 07:27 AM
I recall years ago when I was buying and selling antique radios and gramophones, a (very weird, but that's another story) guy wanted to buy a very rare radio from me called an "Astor Mickey Grand Tall Console" ..... he didnt have enough cash BUT he was a cabinet-maker, so we cut a deal. Some cash + three kitchen cabinets to my specs...... we struck the deal in the a.m. - at around 4 p.m. he arrived with them totally done (no doors or drawer fronts) - they included drawers at the top all along their entire length, like in the old days :D and adjustable plinths etc. I was staggered at how fast he did them and realised that a good panel saw and cutting list - along with 2 workers (and a bunch of business smarts, of course) meant a firm with its together could make a LOT of money.

if anyone wants to know why he was weird - the cabinet had twisted over the years and needed to be restraightened by a professional .....he ended up smashing the radio - on purpose, because he couldnt straighten it and wouldnt give it to someone else to do. Bloody d1ckhead destroyed one of the rarest radios, worth today around $5000 (so rare I couldnt even find a pic on the net - only its baby sibling)

http://us1.webpublications.com.au/static/images/articles/i1017/101737_2mg.jpg

anyway, enough bad memories - I'm going to have some brekkie

:)

weekendwarrior
23rd November 2004, 04:17 PM
try www.boxandbench.com