PDA

View Full Version : Where to get material tested for asbestos?

Beep Beep
15th November 2004, 08:37 PM
Hi All,

Our house has a renovated bathroom (approx 1960's-70's) and we want to get a sample of the board used for the walls tested to make sure it's not asbestos before we demolish.

Does anyone know of a cheap place I can get the cement sheet tested in Melbourne? How much?

Jackiew said in another post that they got a $20 test done, but didn't say where. Any ideas?

Your help is appreciated.

gemi_babe
16th November 2004, 12:05 AM
http://www.nata.asn.au/cgi-bin/natadir/page.cgi?g=Chemical_Testing%2FAsbestos%2Fin_workplaces_and_buildings%2F&d=1

This should point you in the right direction.

I had an old loo out the back that was asbestos. I rang up the nearest licenced asbestos removalist and they came out, identified it and gave me a quote to remove it. I wont touch the stuff!

$100 later and the problem is gone!

I wouldn't go breaking bits off to take in to get tested. Get someone out!

jackiew
16th November 2004, 08:25 AM
i used www.noel-arnold.com.au - in box hill

seriph1
16th November 2004, 09:06 PM
if it is grey AC cement sheet or looks like it, long odds is: it is Asbestos. It was used in cement sheet until the very early 80's - costs for removal are by the metre - a job I just awarded and had done cost $2400. (Ceiling panels over a large residential swimming pool....very straightforward job that took 4 men 40 mins - my client had to supply: Pool cover and construct timber platforms for the workers to put their ladders on......personally I thought it a rip-off)

Do you absolutely need to remove it in order to do your reno? It can be successfully covered etc. without incident - it is when one starts fiddling with it, that the fibres get released.