PDA

View Full Version : Plane for neck work

IWieldTheSpade
12th January 2011, 06:10 PM
Hi all,

I'm in the middle of an electric bass build and have just recently cut the neck timber for the scarf joint. This is the first project I've done that actually needs a scarf in it (all the rest made previously have been one piece necks) and I'm wondering what sort of hand plane would be suitable for cleaning up the ends for a better joining surface before gluing the joint?

Cheers,
Miles

DarwinStrings
12th January 2011, 06:40 PM
A block plane and a straight edge will do the job.

Jim

woodturner777
12th January 2011, 07:51 PM
Well done Jim, alias toejam, darwinstrings two great replys with good info.:2tsup:
Cheers, Bob

littlephil
17th January 2011, 04:59 PM
I cut my scarf joints by hand and clean them up with a router jig. I haven't had any problems with doing it this way.
Here's a pic of a jig that's similar to the one I use.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_TqjHsFeMouc/SUYzQ5U-35I/AAAAAAAAD4w/3tmKPtLGUsk/s1600/03122008080.jpg

kiwigeo
18th January 2011, 08:20 PM
I use a Veritas low angle block plane for my neck scarf joints. A block plane is a must if your building acoustics.

IWieldTheSpade
18th January 2011, 09:33 PM
Thanks a lot guys :U

Has anyone had any experiences with the economy planes from carbatec? Money's a little tight at the moment...

Sebastiaan56
19th January 2011, 09:31 AM
Dont tell anyone but I bought a cheapie off Bunnies, $20 from memory. When it is really sharp it works well. Im a weekend warrior and couldnt justify the dollars for the amount of use it gets. Of course if I was going to use it a lot I would invest some real money but at this stage the once a month it gets pulled out of the drawer doesnt justify three figure sums.

IWieldTheSpade
19th January 2011, 01:49 PM
Sounds like a good option.
Your secret is safe with me :;
It's only for the one off job at the moment, so that might do the trick if it holds out long enough. I can always invest in something a bit higher in the market at a later date if the need is justified

auscab
20th January 2011, 07:50 PM
For the price of the economy model you can get good second hand stanleys and similar, here block planes,rebate planes (http://www.hansbrunnertools.gil.com.au/blockplanes,rebate%20planes.htm) with a clean and a tinker ,better than any new plane , I think. Not the 118 though . Rob