PDA

View Full Version : Poll on SketchupWoodPlans

brandy20
13th January 2011, 10:07 AM
Hi all,

I put a poll on my blog because I'd like to know from you what kind of SketchUp tutorials you'd like to read there. You can vote one of the options or just write your own answer.

Thank you for doing that, I'm trying to make my blog better and more interesting.

Luca

Phil Spencer
13th January 2011, 10:58 AM
Hi all,

I put a poll on my blog because I'd like to know from you what kind of SketchUp tutorials you'd like to read there. You can vote one of the options or just write your own answer.

Thank you for doing that, I'm trying to make my blog better and more interesting.

Luca

Tried that new fangled stuff, I find it easier to use a pencil and paper.

brandy20
20th January 2011, 05:06 AM
Hi Phil,

Sketchup is not so difficult to learn and once you have some practice you can reach any level of detail you desire in your drawings.

If you want to give it a try and abandon your pencil and paper drop me an email and I'll be happy to help you.

Waldo
20th January 2011, 10:58 AM
I tried working out how to draw a leg with two curved faces. I vaguely got one face done, but when I tried to push through the other face Ketch-up then told me I can't push through on a curved face - so long story short a tutorial on that would be very gratefully appreciated. :2tsup:

brandy20
20th January 2011, 07:20 PM
Hi Waldo,

Thank you for your suggestion.

Do you have an image or a sample of that leg so I can better help you?

Waldo
21st January 2011, 12:28 PM
G'day Brandy20,

That would be very much appreciated. Attached is a PDF of what I'm after.

:2tsup:

brandy20
22nd January 2011, 02:13 AM
Hi Waldo,

I'll be back to my computer in a couple of days. So I'm going to describe you the procedure, then I'll prepare a tutorial for you.

From the pdf you sent me I deduce that the two curved faces are flat, I mean not rounded.

Consider that the push/pull tool cannot extrude curved surfaces. For that there's a specific plugin but that is useless for your needs.

Draw a rectangle 915mm high by 60mm wide. This will help you to draw your leg on the correct plane. Now draw your leg following your measures and when you are done erase the outside geometry of the rectangle.

Select the pull/push tool to extrude the flat face of your leg at the required depth.

Remember that you can insert your exact measures in the Measurement box (low corner right).

When the leg is completed make it a component and save it for future uses

In case you meant to make the curved part of the leg rounded, the right tool to use is the Follow me tool. I'll explain this in the tutorial, unless you urgently need this.

Cheers,

Luca

Waldo
22nd January 2011, 12:06 PM
G'day Luca,

Appreciate the help. :2tsup:

I should have explained some more detail, see the attached illustration (but disregard the measurements), which shows the leg in front and end elevation, as the basis of what I am looking to do. I am happy to wait - given it is your time you have graciously given and I take a bit of time in the planning before I start building something. :U

I can do the leg with two curved faces, but I have no idea on how to do four. :2tsup:

Regards to the specific plug-in for push/pull for curved faces, where do I find/get it for the Mac version of Sketch-up?

brandy20
23rd January 2011, 09:32 AM
Hi Waldo

Now I understand your question :wink:

I'll prepare something for you as soon as I'll be back home.

About the plugin, it's the joint push pull you can find here (http://forums.sketchucation.com/viewtopic.php?f=180&t=6708)

It will help you extruding curved surfaces but it's not the right tool for your needs.

Cheers,

Luca

brandy20
25th January 2011, 08:43 PM
Waldo, I sent you a short tutorial via email.

Waldo
25th January 2011, 10:25 PM
And very much appreciated too. :2tsup: