PDA

View Full Version : Use of Campervans in NZ

John Saxton
14th January 2011, 01:23 AM
Later on in the year with the Rugby WC in NZ we're thinking of hiring a campervan but have not had experience with them in NZ.
We have previously used Rental cars to get about but thought perhaps a new style of adventure might be the go.

Have any of our folk here on the Forum had any experience with campervans in NZ?

There are a multitude of choices some look quite good however with OZ $$ still strong some look comfortable to cater to anyone's needs.

Cheers:)

ian
14th January 2011, 03:43 AM
Hi Johnno
I've never bothered with a campervan in NZ because
1 -- they're too slow
2 -- they're not suited to hub and spoke touring i.e. stay in one place for a few days and visit places with 2 to 3 hrs travel
3 -- compared to a car they're very expensive to put fuel into
4 -- they're nowhere near as comfortable as a bed in a B&B or motel
5 -- you can't take them places you would take a car
6 -- I'm not sure where you can stay in places like Duneden, Christchurch, etc
7 -- they're a pain in that you have to pack up if you want to drive into to town for dinner or to pick-up milk

RETIRED
14th January 2011, 08:49 AM
John, here might be a good place to start.

New Zealand Motor Caravan Association Inc (http://www.nzmca.org.nz/)

John Saxton
14th January 2011, 10:07 AM
Thanks & Ian for your resonses ,thats a handy site to look into and will do so at length when SWMBO is free to do so as well.

Ian You have raised some interesting points which also will need looking at .People I have spoken to regard their experience with campervans as quite good mind though that they may also be defending their decision to having used them.

They appear to be quite popular and with the RWC I reckon accommodation is going to be at a premium that is if it is available.

Toymaker Len
14th January 2011, 10:30 PM
We spent a couple of weeks going around the south island in a van with son and english girlfriend. Camped out, caught trout, fossicked for jade, did some long walks, stayed in a few huts and a couple of motels too. Its a great cheap way to travel and NZ has some of the best free camping spots tucked away up dirt roads along rivers and behind beaches which you would never see if you weren't in a van looking for a spot. But watch out for the elcheapo rental campers. We got one of the graffittied ones out of darwin and the first night it filled up with mosquitoes. Turns out they just cover minor dings with a bit more graffitti and let it go. Ours had a knock to the back which made it impossible for the rear door seals to connect. On top of that they charge the customer something like $1000 if you bring it back with any damage. Buzzards !

John Saxton
14th January 2011, 11:58 PM
There has been some concerns about some of the rental mobs ripping peoplle off in recent times however I think the Government over there has clamped down on it.

The tourist industry is one of the main sources for income in the country so I can't understand why some would go to lengths to use such measures moreover with a buoyant industry.

ian
15th January 2011, 02:51 AM
People I have spoken to regard their experience with campervans as quite good mind though that they may also be defending their decision to having used them.

They appear to be quite popular and with the RWC I reckon accommodation is going to be at a premium that is if it is available.John
I can see the attraction of a campervan for a holiday where you spend nearly all your time in the "bush"
Staying at the end of the road in the Martukituki Valley is magical (when I did it we slept on hay bales stacked in an open sided shed), and waking up in Paradise or Mt Cook with the mountains all around you is awsome.
However, if you're going to NZ for the RWC, how much time will you be spending in cities and large towns as opposed to using the campervan in places remote from motels and cabins?

munruben
15th January 2011, 08:11 AM
Its a great cheap way to travel and NZ has some of the best free camping spots tucked away up dirt roads along rivers and behind beaches which you would never see if you weren't in a van looking for a spotIf you read the fine print on your hire contract; insurance does not cover you for traveling on dirt roads so I would be very cautious about doing that. The excess is very high on camper vans if you cause any damage to it and even if you have taken out "extra" cover to wave the excess, you are still liable if the damage is caused when traveling on dirt roads also liable to any damage you may do to other property such as motor vehicles etc.

Unless they are recognised, approved camping spots, it is also illegal to camp by the roadside.

I know I sound like a wet blanket but these are things you should consider when hiring a camper van anywhere. I also agree with Ian, they are cumbersome, slow (particularly if you are traveling over the Southern Alps) and fuel guzzlers and just a pain if you run out of milk and need to go down the street to buy some, They are definitely not comfortable as a regular bed.

Having said all that; I did a trip to NZ middle of last year and there was quite a few of these on the roads traveling around. I guess it all comes down to expectations and what you want to do. Obviously they meet the needs of many people and those people must enjoy the experience. Personally, I spent 30 years in connection with my work, traveling around Australia in a caravan and staying in caravan parks and camping sites and I guess that is also one of the reasons I like the comforts of a proper home bed.

But, hey, why not give it a go, its only for a short time and I think attitude plays a big part in anything like this. If you go at it with the attitude," I am going to really enjoy this" then chances are, you will enjoy it. At least you will have had the experience first hand and know what its all about. Be a devil, have a bit of adventurous spirit and you will come home either vowing 'never to do that again" or can't wait to go and do it all again. Good luck whatever you decide to do. New Zealand is a beautiful place to travel specially the South Island. Scenery is spectacular.

damian
24th January 2011, 12:03 PM
I haven't rented a camper in nz, although I've looked into it and have several friends who have done it. FWIW:

Regarding dirt roads, talk to the company. I made enquiries and apparently there are only a few dirt roads they don't like you to use.

I'd go with one of the more reputable companies. Horror stories about the cheapies, but great accounts on the better ones.

Many roads in NZ are twisty and hilly. Piloting a big truck along them is going to get old quick. I recommend geting the smallest van you can make do with.

When we were there last april/may the only really "bad" driving I encountered the whole trip was a van that didn't give way on a single lane bridge. I'm told me experience wasn't unique :)

John Saxton
28th January 2011, 11:37 PM
John
I can see the attraction of a campervan for a holiday where you spend nearly all your time in the "bush"
However, if you're going to NZ for the RWC, how much time will you be spending in cities and large towns as opposed to using the campervan in places remote from motels and cabins?

We have folk that have generously offered their facilities (ie parking in their yards or whatever near Wellington /Christchurch) so finding sites in those areas dont present any issues and we want to do some bush hiking as well so I guess we will be in the scrub as much as possible.
Auckland where the main events are to be held would present some issues however we have decided not to stay for the main events as the prices to these are fairly expensive and we can just as well see them at home with TV coverage.

The campervan experience was just a step away from the norm of Hotels/Motels that we usually use and a different adventure in our lives.
Did it early on in our lives in Europe and Tassie before we progressed to the caravan that like a lot agree do give you that individuality whenyou can park and ride not unlike a 5th wheeler.
Agreed that they are cumbersome and slow ,we're at the time in our lives where we want to slow down and a bit of forward planning like powdered milk as a stanby can be helpful I guess .With accommodation going to be at a premium with the RWC this is an option that we have seriously considered.

Thanks to all for their time and input.