PDA

View Full Version : Trial software warning

Kev Y.
16th November 2004, 02:48 PM
Recently I downloaded a program that was supposed to calculate the material required to make a raised panel door.

It was a time limited release program which did some of what it claimed.

Problems arose AFTER the trial period expired, everytime I removed the program and directory from the computer (no un-install program provided so manual uninstall was called for) it would appear again the next time the computer was re-started.

After doing a search of the computer I found several files related to this program "hidden" in unrelated directories :( . Still the program re-appeared.

The next step was to do a registery search :( (dont try this at home kiddies!), again this revealed several instances of the program, some of which could be deleted :mad: . which led to another problem, I now have several registery keys referencing a no longer valid program.

Now everytime the computer is started, I get the message "windows is trying to configure...." :mad:

I am now very hesitant to even try anymore "free trial " programs

bsrlee
16th November 2004, 09:48 PM
Sounds like you also need to run Ad Aware & Spybot S&D as well. Extreeeemly sloppy programming if its not outright malicious. Another useful tool is 'Hijack this' which looks for potential mal-ware re-directions. I'm guessing that it used some proprietary install agent so it bypassed the Windows clobbering files - do you have Norton's Cleansweep? - It may help in cases like this, or may make things worse.