PDA

View Full Version : Cretan curve

ribot
16th November 2004, 06:46 PM
Hi everyone! My first post.
I recently saw a cretan curve picture on another site whilst surfing(thats how I found this site).
Does anyone know how to do one?
The picture I saw , first (lathe)turned a gentle curve then you(pencil) draw an "s" curve, cut away waste use rasps etc and end up with a cretan curve. My problem when trying to make one is that I end up cutting away what I have turned so I presume I am doing something wrong even though I end up with a curve.

ozwinner
16th November 2004, 06:49 PM
Would love to help, but as everyone on this BB would know, Im not a cretan.
Welcome to the BB BTW.

Al :D

Cliff Rogers
17th November 2004, 01:07 AM
... but as everyone on this BB would know, Im not a cretan.

And to who(m) so ever(and/or what) do you accredit that authority? :confused:

smidsy
17th November 2004, 02:40 AM
but as everyone on this BB would know, Im not a cretan.
Al :D

Hei Al, seems like we need a poll on this :p

Welcome to the madhouse Ribot.
Cheers
Paul

RETIRED
17th November 2004, 06:30 AM
Hi everyone! My first post.
I recently saw a cretan curve picture on another site whilst surfing(thats how I found this site).
Does anyone know how to do one?
The picture I saw , first (lathe)turned a gentle curve then you(pencil) draw an "s" curve, cut away waste use rasps etc and end up with a cretan curve. My problem when trying to make one is that I end up cutting away what I have turned so I presume I am doing something wrong even though I end up with a curve.
Basically it is a spiral. Look at how you do barley twist on a straight length and apply the same to a curve.

ribot
17th November 2004, 03:40 PM
I was expecting cretan jokes,however I do believe it is pronounced similarly to Crete.

Thanks for the advice, so I guess the quickest way to make a curve is rasps and carving tools?