PDA

View Full Version : How to store thin sheet without it warping?

cpcp
15th January 2011, 04:22 PM
Hi, does anyone know a solution for storing thin sheet like 3mm particle board and 3mm acrylic so that it won't (or minimally) warps? My problem is that due to space constraints I can't lie it flat and even if I did I would have to sort the sheets from largest to smallest -which would be a big shifting exercise when I wanted the bottom one :~

I have seen some vertical racks in acrylic fabricator shops that used thin dowel but they seem space inefficient. I wonder if there is a solution like the racks they use on glass transport trucks where an arm compresses the sheet stack on a slightly leaning frame?

Anyway I don't want to have to re-invent the Ark if anyone out there knows the best solution.

Thanks for any ideas.

Master Splinter
15th January 2011, 04:49 PM
I've kept my thin stuff sandwiched between two sheets of thicker stuff. Keeps the faces of it protected, too.

cpcp
15th January 2011, 05:21 PM
I've kept my thin stuff sandwiched between two sheets of thicker stuff. Keeps the faces of it protected, too.

Right, I find that won't stop the thinner sheets sliding out at their base and pushing the thicker sheets away or have you worked out a way to jam the sandwich together?

Thanks

munruben
15th January 2011, 06:06 PM
If you have the sheets upstanding on a timber base, how about something like bench dogs to hold the sheets together.

cpcp
16th January 2011, 10:43 AM
bench dogs.

That's a good solution -thanks! I am going to make a frame today and I think I will build it on a 5 degree tilt so that the tops of the sheets are encouraged to lean against each other but not so much that they can't easily be separated.

With the bench dogs I will try to add an eccentric cam type lobe to them with rubber outer so that I can get a snug fit with minimal holes drilled.

Thanks for all the help guys :U

Master Splinter
16th January 2011, 11:06 AM
My solution was a couple of $2 clamps from the local cheap crap from china store.

cpcp
16th January 2011, 11:38 AM
couple of $2 clamps

Thanks MasterSplinter but I decided that for my purposes as I have sheets from 1200x2400 to 30x30 that the "sandwich" will have to be opened every time I want to eyeball the stock on hand. In a frame it should all be more visible but thanks for the help.