PDA

View Full Version : The boxes I made at Kiewa!

tea lady
15th January 2011, 06:09 PM
Finally got the time to muck about with the pics. :cool:

We were working out of "50 woodturned boxes" or soemthing! I think!:doh: (Jeff? :C ) The first was the Tear drop box. I had bought a piece of Silky Oak. The simple shape I think showed off the grain the best, but Silky doesn't hold really sharp corners very well, chipping of on the edge off the lid. Some of you might be happy that there is NO foot ring! :p
The second is an"Elegant Box" But since my blank was cross grained I have to change the name to "Elegant Lidded Bowl" so all the pedants in the world are happy. No foot ring here either. :rolleyes: The Wood is Pepper Wood, which I had never seen before, but I don't get out much. A little bland really Maybe I should have done something a little more ornate in it cos its really got no grain to show off. Smelled vaguely off pepper while tuning. Both boxes sanded to 400# and finished in Rustins Danish oil.
158798 158799

springwater
15th January 2011, 06:15 PM
:U Love the tear drop, cant even see the join which makes for a little bit of a surprize wif the opening :cool: Elegant box...mmm...yes definately an elegant lid, pure elegance. Where's the other 48 :? :)

artme
15th January 2011, 06:25 PM
Noice TL, especially the teardrop!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Mulgabill
15th January 2011, 06:35 PM
Yes TL! what the others have said. Lovely work in the Tear Drop box. :2tsup:
Was there any input from KenW?

tea lady
15th January 2011, 06:41 PM
Was there any input from KenW?I think he was wondering where the finial was going! :doh: :U He was also working on his much more ornate box on the other lathe. Jim and kept coming and propping on my elbow. :C One on each side. Very distracting. They thought the curve of the top needed a little more Ogee in it. So I have to make some more. :cool::U

Mulgabill
15th January 2011, 06:54 PM
If that's your first effort TL, well done under the pressure cooker circumstances:q. Keep it up.

dai sensei
15th January 2011, 07:06 PM
I like the teardrop, but probably agree with you on the ogee.

Surprised you didn't get the "little bit more here", "nah bit more there" from the side gallery :U:U

Des.K.
15th January 2011, 08:04 PM
Love the tear-drop box TL. Beautiful work. :2tsup:

Des

tea lady
15th January 2011, 08:47 PM
I like the teardrop, but probably agree with you on the ogee.

Surprised you didn't get the "little bit more here", "nah bit more there" from the side gallery :U:UI did! But I had already hollowed it, and that was the form I had to follow. SO the next ones will be perfect! :D:rolleyes:

Enfield Guy
15th January 2011, 10:09 PM
Looks great. The teardrop would be my preference as well.

Cheers

TTIT
15th January 2011, 11:04 PM
"Not enough ogee" - bah-humbug :no: I reckon it's just right as it is for a teardrop at that particular point in time - just depends on your interpretation of what a teardrop looks like :shrug:
Nice stuff TL :2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
16th January 2011, 08:35 AM
I agree with Vern

Nice work TL
and I don't agree that you need a foot ring every time

Mrs Woodpecker
16th January 2011, 10:11 AM
Beautiful !! Clever lady.
Cheers.
Shirley

Ed Reiss
16th January 2011, 01:13 PM
Good work TL...nice looking boxes!!!

NeilS
17th January 2011, 10:38 AM
Some of you might be happy that there is NO foot ring! :p

I'm not part of the 'no foot ring' brigade and mostly prefer a well proportioned and nicely made foot ring, at least on bowls. But, on this particular form a completely round bottom that turns it into a rocking box could be a nice touch, that is, if the weight distribution keeps it more or less upright.... :o

tea lady
17th January 2011, 11:28 AM
I'm not part of the 'no foot ring' brigade and mostly prefer a well proportioned and nicely made foot ring, at least on bowls. But, on this particular form a completely round bottom that turns it into a rocking box could be a nice touch, that is, if the weight distribution keeps it more or less upright.... :o
.:hmm: That could be interesting! :think: Make it kinda like one of those blow up clowns you can't knock down. :U Something heavy embedded it the base might be needed, cos there is a bit of weight in the lid! :think:

ticklingmedusa
17th January 2011, 02:08 PM
Great looking boxes !
:2tsup:
Just wanted to add that your Pepper wood might be Brazilian or California Pepper, both are members of the genus Shinus.
Sometimes has a pinkish hue and a faint pleasant peppery aroma when you machine it. It grows like a weed here in S. Cal and I seem to recall
other forum members posting pieces turned from it before.

Gil Jones
17th January 2011, 02:36 PM
Exceptional lidded boxes, anne-maria.
The first one reminds me of a Turkish lidded box.
Gil

mick61
19th January 2011, 03:14 PM
Nice boxes .Where is ken`s.
Mick

jefferson
19th January 2011, 04:05 PM
Ken's box is still in little pieces, all awaiting some glue after settling in etc.

I guess I better take a pic of my weed pot too!

Jim Carroll
19th January 2011, 04:11 PM
Good to see you back Jeff,

How was the fishing.