PDA

View Full Version : lathe copy jig

Mike Wingate
11th June 1999, 11:06 PM
I wish to buy a copy device to use between centres and on faceplate work. Any recomondations, reviews, links or problems. I am willing to finish off with a skew chisel.

Rod Smith
12th June 1999, 04:50 PM
Hi Mike.
If you were inclined, its not that difficult to make a copy attachement. It only really consists of, a flat surface for the tool holder, a tool holder for the cutting tip and follower, and a couple of simple devices to hold turnings/templates to follow. Worth a thought. Thats what I'm gonna do. Fortunately I have a tool maker friend to do the metalwork. See ya. Rod

ubeaut
12th June 1999, 09:34 PM
Mike. Woodfast have a copy attatchment that works along the same lines as a Symtec and what was discribed by Rod. Don't know the price and definately wouldn't use one myself, but it is an avenue open to you. You should be able to see one at a Woodfast distributor. I think they have them in the UK. Try Craft Supplies as a starting point.
Good luck. Neil.

Marshall Gorrow
13th June 1999, 12:01 PM
Mike, there are a lot of copy attachments on the market. One of the best copiers in the world is you. Most copiers are used with spindle turning. They give a scape cut that requires either finish turning or a lot of sanding. If you turn an original, then make a story stick, find your major diameter, the rest is easy. All you have to do is connect the dots. The story stick gives you the distance from one end of all major diameters. (usually 3 or 4) Part down to each diameter with the aid of calipers. Rest the original behind the turning in the same orientation as the turning. Your eye will allow you to turn an almost exact replica by just connecting the diameters with the apropriate bead, cove or taper. It is surprising how close you will come to exact replicas without any more measuring. Probably closer than you will be after sanding or finish turning. If you are turning less than a dozen pieces it will take more time to make the template than to turn the pieces. Except for production work done by non turners these copiers have little practical use. For long run production work where finish isn't terribly important, they may be useful. Again this is only one persons opinion. There are no right ways or wrong ways as long as you get the job done to your satisfaction.

------------------

Marshall Gorrow
May your next turning be your best!

RETIRED
13th June 1999, 01:33 PM
Gooday, I must admit I have never found a copy attachment (read cheap) that does as good a job as doing them by hand. Granted that proper auto lathes ($20,000 upwards) do a good job but in most cases they have extensive sanding as well. If you wish to see an article on hand copy turning go to:http://home.vicnet.net.au/~pwguild/

Check under articles, copy turning.

------------------
Ian () Robertson
"We do good turns every day"

Mike Wingate
16th June 1999, 09:32 PM
Rod, thanks, I have gone down this route for mass producin tool handles. I now want somethin a little better. I quite like the looks of the Woodfast copier, any comments?