PDA

View Full Version : Unknown Burl

Fredo
16th January 2011, 08:33 PM
It's been a while since I've posted, so here's a bowl I made about two weeks ago - does anyone know what the timber is? I acquired it from a retired turner and forgot to label it, so years later, I don't know what it is. The pics were taken in almost full sun, but in reality it's more brown than orange. It was very dry and dusty to turn, and as far as burls go, a little on the soft side. Lots of pick out, but then the grain runs in every direction. Sharp tools and plenty of sanding were necessary. Size is 330mm x 150mm. Any guesses?

Thanks for looking,

Fredo :U

Zedicus
16th January 2011, 09:18 PM
G'day Fredo,

Sorry, but I can't help you out with the type of timber. I thought I could at least comment and say that it is a real nice looking bowl though.

dai sensei
16th January 2011, 10:05 PM
Beautiful grain :cool:

Not sure about timber, looks like red-gum but since it wasn't that hard, perhaps some red mahogany :?

bench1holio
17th January 2011, 06:06 AM
hey fredo,
that bowl finished beautifuly, i recon its a lump of myrtle burl.

Hors
17th January 2011, 06:54 AM
I am no expert

But I reckon myrtle

artme
17th January 2011, 08:39 AM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Picko
17th January 2011, 08:40 AM
Fredo

Nice bowl!
From your description and the photos I would say Red Gum. The photos look exactly like some Blakelys Red Gum burl I,ve turned. Not too hard and very dusty.

Picko

Fredo
17th January 2011, 08:54 AM
Hi guys,

Zedicus - Thanks :)

dai sensei - I've turned lots of red gum and that's definitely not what this is. I'm not familiar with red mahogony, I'll try to find some pics on the web to see how they compare. Thanks

bench1holio & Hors - I've turned some myrtle burl, this doesn't appear to be the same but still possible. Thanks

I'll post another pic that I've doctored in Photoshop and it's much more like the true colour.

woodturner777
20th January 2011, 08:52 PM
Myrtle Burl.

Fredo
21st January 2011, 09:25 AM
artme - Thanks

Picko - Thanks - I don't think it's Red Gum as it's too soft and the wrong colour

Woodturner777 - That's a definite maybe

Tomorrow is the Saturday Woodturning Group meeting at the ACT Woodcraft Guild, I'll take the bowl with me. The messiah - Richard Raffan may be there. Richard or someone may be able to confirm what type of burl it is.

bench1holio
21st January 2011, 10:43 AM
hey fredo,
what time is that meeting on?, id like to try and get there.

Fredo
21st January 2011, 03:43 PM
Ben - Saturday turning 1.30 - 4.30 pm. Check out the Guild web site.

Woodcraft Guild of the ACT (http://www.woodcraftguild.org.au/)

(SIG) Special Intrest Group and Newsletter.

AJ
21st January 2011, 10:18 PM
Looks like red mallee burl to :roll:me

seamus7227
27th January 2011, 02:27 AM
I wish i could help you with identifying the wood, but aside from that you did a wonderful job on the shape!~ What type of finish did you use?

Fredo
27th January 2011, 05:47 PM
AJ - Thanks for the reply.

Seamus 7227 - Thanks, the finish is 2 coats of BLO (Boiled Linseed Oil)

Thanks to everyone who replied and tried ...

Last night was our local guild monthly meeting and the bowl went along, our guild wood guru said some burls are difficult to identify, but he's fairly certain it's myrtle burl and I'm happy to go along with that.

Thanks again