PDA

View Full Version : Dust collection (Another one)

graemet
16th November 2004, 09:29 PM
Has anyone made the cyclone dust collector from Australian Woodworker last month?
The author claims it works but with an inlet below the cone, it's hard to see how. I have just bought a new 3 micron filter bag from Hare & Forbes sale day for my two bag unit and at last the dust seems to be staying inside the thing.
I also have a Carba-Tec air filter hanging from the ceiling which seems to clear the air but the primary filter gets clogged up easily and the continual cleaning is wearing the filter material away. I've been back to Carba-Tec in Auburn twice to get a replacement but both times they have been out of stock. (Were they ever IN stock??) and the price quoted seems a little excessive compared with the original cost of the unit. Has anyone had the same problem and/or sourced the filters from somewhere else?
Still on the same subject of dust, I saw the Jet filter at Trend which fits on a 44 gal drum and uses a Truck filter cartridge as final stage. Seemed quiet and efficient. Any experiences?
Graeme

ernknot
16th November 2004, 10:10 PM
Come on, wer'e waiting!

Cliff Rogers
16th November 2004, 11:54 PM
Has anyone made the cyclone dust collector from Australian Woodworker last month?
The author claims it works but with an inlet below the cone, it's hard to see how.....

I was wondering if there was anyone else out there that read the mag 'cos
I was also wondering how long it would take for someone to comment.

I note that the exhaust was placed OUTSIDE & it has a spray nozzle
for a water hose attachment on the outlet.... :confused:

In the OLD days, that sort of attachment on a smoke stack was called
a 'scrubber' & it was installed as last resort attempt to clean up the output
before it hit the real world.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that it doesn't work BUT....
if I read between the lines, the fact the the outlet is outside the workshop &
it has a water assisted spray nozzle on it, maybe, just maybe,
it has limited applications. :cool:

Sturdee
17th November 2004, 04:16 PM
I was wondering if there was anyone else out there that read the mag 'cos
I was also wondering how long it would take for someone to comment.

Cliff, read the article and commented on it see http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=11453 and it was again raised on http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=11552

Peter.

Baz
17th November 2004, 09:06 PM
Graeme, I saw the Jet DC650-TS at the Canberra wood show and like it. A mate of mine bought one and he is very pleased with it, he replaced his 2hp DC with it. I am going to get one next month when I have to go to Sydney.
Cheers
Barry

ernknot
17th November 2004, 09:13 PM
It's ok to have a device which can scrub your emmisions as long as you have a container for the matter which is going to atmosphere. In reality you should keep the dust you make for later disposal. I guess with so many designs floatring about for the cyclones I would like to know which is the most efficient. Anybody got a lead on this?

Cliff Rogers
17th November 2004, 09:58 PM
Cliff, read the article and commented on it see http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=11453 and it was again raised on http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=11552

Arh, I missed them. On Friday 10th September I was on a plane to Hong Kong.
I didn't get much chance to read in the longe at Hong Kong as it was busy &
there were only 2 working Internet PCs.
I was in Tuscany on Tuesday 14th & I didn't read anything on this board
for a couple of weeks.

Cliff Rogers
17th November 2004, 10:04 PM
..... I guess with so many designs floatring about for the cyclones I would like to know which is the most efficient. Anybody got a lead on this?

Have you read any of Bill's stuff?

http://billpentz.com//woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm

There's HEAPS of good reading at that site.

graemet
17th November 2004, 10:30 PM
Peter,
Yes, I saw the previous threads. What I wanted to know was if anyone had actually made one!
Graeme

Sturdee
17th November 2004, 10:52 PM
for a couple of weeks.

Cliff, I knew of your travels at that time. That's why I pointed out the threads rather than give a smart a**e retort. :D

Peter.

bitingmidge
18th November 2004, 08:28 AM
for a couple of weeks.

Yeah, but Cliff,

where've ya Wheelie Bin?

:D :D :D

P

scooter
18th November 2004, 09:22 PM
Tuscany, Cliff, you poor bastard. My sympathies are with you and your family at this time.

Sean (who travels on the inside)

Cliff Rogers
18th November 2004, 10:02 PM
Tuscany, Cliff, you poor bastard. My sympathies are with you and your family at this time....

Yeah, me too, that was the 14th of Sept, I'm back here at work again now. :(

Actually liked the north of Italy better than Tuscana, cooler, better wine, etc.