PDA

View Full Version : My new table saw.

DanP
17th November 2004, 01:52 PM
I have been in deep discussions with Carbatec in Richmond since the WWW Show regarding when my TSC10HB table saw would be ready for me to pick up. LOOOOOONG story short, the bloke at Richmond told me that it was coming off the truck last week and I could pick it up whenever. I had to go to Melbourne for a course Monday and Tuesday, so I called Carbatec Bayswater and told them I would be coming down to pick up my saw. :cool:

Problem is, there seems to be a bit of a problem in communications between Richmond and Bayswater. I was told that a: the truck hadn't come in yet and b: the TSC10HB's on the truck would be filling back orders from June and I wouldn't get one of those. :eek: :( :mad: Then, because I'd been stuffed around, he offered me the TS12-R table saw which is basically the same, excepting the blade which is 12", for $1800, $600 off the cattledog price. I might be a sucker but I thought it a pretty good deal. (Even if the budget has now gone Osama) :D

SO. I picked up yesterday, my new 12" saw in the trailer and brought it the three plus hour drive home. When I got home I realised one little problem. How the bluddy hell do I get it off the trailer???? :confused: I have been staring at it for ages and I'm none the wiser. I can make up a bit of a trolley to roll it to the shed but I've gotta get it off the trailer first. :(

Any suggestions?

Dan

Zed
17th November 2004, 01:58 PM
surely one of your mates from the rescue squad can rig up a gin pole with some block and tackle to get it off the trailer.... If you were in sydney I could help you out being a rigger and all, but seeing your in mexico and you didnt buy my mujifang plane I cant help you ... :D

seriously a gin pole with B&T will do the job. either that or some of your mates from work can get together and do a communal bench press....

silentC
17th November 2004, 02:32 PM
Only took two of us to lift it my TSC10HB off the back of my BIL's ute.

Iain
17th November 2004, 02:33 PM
Simple, you were travelling at 20kph over the limit in the main street, that is a $250 fine, however.......................
I had a similar problem, my saw was forklifted into the rear of my Landcruiser and I couldn't get the bugger out, undid the packaging in the rear and took it out piece by piece, the main body was the hardest but I was able to slide it to the rear and manipulate it onto the trolley.
Even the two cast iron wing weigh a ton but I managed.
The next problem was turning it the right way up after assembly, and mine is the 10".

craigb
17th November 2004, 02:44 PM
The next problem was turning it the right way up after assembly.

:confused: Care to elaborate Iain?

WRT to what Iain said, with mine, I unpacked everything I could off of the pallet and then managed to trolley the main saw body down 3 flights of stairs ( I didn't have to get it off a trailer though).

Problem was I still had three stairs to go up to get it into my shed and I didn't have the muscles for that so what I did was to take the cast top off and remove the motor . Then I was able (just) to get it up the stairs. The cast trunions and the steel case is still pretty heavy.

I guess that in doing that it took me much longer to set it up than it otherwise would have but as it was the only option I had I didn't have much choice.

Craig

Iain
17th November 2004, 02:49 PM
The saw was placed on the floor upside down, base attached and the two extensions attached.
By now the thing is a touch heavy and I had trouble picking it up to put it on it's feet.
The instructions state that the saw should be assembled upside down and indeed this makes attaching the two cast iron wings much easier.
My wife and daughters were not of much assistance and I got two blokes to come in and help right it.

DanP
17th November 2004, 02:53 PM
Zed, What's a gin pole?

Iain and Craig, I'll take the box off and see what's what.

Silent(?), you blokes must be gorillas. Two blokes for 170kgs, :eek:

Wood Borer
17th November 2004, 02:55 PM
Dan,

How close to your shed can you get with the trailer?

How high off the ground is your shed?

Is is possible to fit the saw through the shed door intact?

silentC
17th November 2004, 02:58 PM
The instructions state that the saw should be assembled upside down
See, that's what you get for reading the instructions. It was a bit of a hassle attaching those wings though, I have to admit.

Silent(?), you blokes must be gorillas. Two blokes for 170kgs
Nah, I'm two yards of pump water. Bit of a struggle but can be done. Unpack it first and it'll be lighter. The wings are separate.

Iain
17th November 2004, 03:00 PM
They come partially assembled, base and wings to be attached.
They are also upside down in the box.

silentC
17th November 2004, 03:04 PM
They are also upside down in the box
Mine wasn't :confused:

At least I don't think it was. Maybe that's why it flies across the floor every time I turn it on....

The main table was on mine, I just had to attach the wings. We are talking about the Carbatec TSC-10HB aren't we? The 12 might be different....

DanP
17th November 2004, 03:07 PM
Rob,

Closest I can get is into the garage, which is about 30 metres away, around the other side of the house.

Shed is only 2 - 3 inches above ground level.

Shed door is about 7' wide so no wuckers there.

I don't think getting it to and into the shed will be a worry, it's the trailer bit thats an issue.

Dan

craigb
17th November 2004, 03:08 PM
Mine wasn't :confused:

At least I don't think it was. Maybe that's why it flies across the floor every time I turn it on....

The main table was on mine, I just had to attach the wings. We are talking about the Carbatec TSC-10HB aren't we? The 12 might be different....

What Darren said.

I had to put a mobile base on mine due to space constraints so I did this while the motor and main table were off.

DanP
17th November 2004, 03:13 PM
Yes it is the Carbatec and from the pic it looks to be a bigger version of the 10HB.

Zed
17th November 2004, 03:28 PM
I've had another idea, reverse really really fast then slam the brakes on, assuming there is nothing to catch the ts it should slide nicely onto your trolley. look out Australias funniest home videos...

seriously now, a gin pole is a pole usually a either a piece of 6 or 9mm duralium (aluminium) or structurally sound peice of timber about 10 to 12 foot in length and about 8 inches thick with a steel collar around it at one end that you can attach a block and tackle or a chain block from. what you do is you "foot" the pole by stabilising it with a non slip mechanism (either a non slip shoe on the ground the end of the pole will fit in or you hammer in some pickets and tie off the pole so it doesnt slip.) from the top of the pole as well as the block and tackle you attach 2 or 3 guy ropes that are attached back to some pickets hammered around the circumference of the pole 120 deg apart. these tie off points need a turfer or a winch that you can take off and tack slack up with.... manouver the top of the pole to sit directly above the trailer (centre of gravity of the TS) and then lower the B&T until it is in reach of the TS, attach the TS and lift the TS with the B&T until it is clear of the trailer - remove the trailer by driving away and lower the ts onto the trolley. if you want to get sexy you can belay the pole to manouver about until the pole is above the trolley and drop the ts.

Alternative 1 you can use sheer legs which is a similar technique but uses 2 poles instead of 1 in a classic "A" frame. I suggest you do these 2 methods over your front lawn so that it desnt damage any concrete....

see if you can get your local rescue squad to do it for practice on a weekend - a coupla slabs and you're off - and your neighbours get to see who your mates are! !!! :D

I've seen some REALLY SERIOUS weights (2 or 3 tonnes) in incredible places (like the tops of buildings or in caves) moved about like this....

Alternative 2 you can hire a engine lifter from kennards, the rigging methods while reasonably easier require a fair degree of experience, staff and tackle to achieve - an engine lifter is easy peasy to hire and use.

see.... you should have bought my plane!!!!!

DanP
17th November 2004, 03:36 PM
Geez you're smart for a one year old monkey.

I've unpacked it from the box and I think I will be able to slide it off ok, with the trailer tilted a little and get it off onto the ground of the garage, from there I should be right to rig up a trolley to get it over the grass of the yard.

Fingers crossed, wish me well.

Dan

Zed
17th November 2004, 03:41 PM
use pneumatic tires or you'll sink and be f*ked!

himzol
17th November 2004, 04:35 PM
Or you could hire one of those hydrolic engine hoist cranes, lift it straight up, move the trailer, lower the unit onto a trolley and wheel it into the shed.

Himzo.

Sturdee
17th November 2004, 04:59 PM
Dan,

Have you thought of borrowing hiring or knocking of (just kidding) a forklift?

Peter.

TOMARTOM
17th November 2004, 07:14 PM
[QUOTE=Zed]I've had another idea, reverse really really fast then slam the brakes on, assuming there is nothing to catch the ts it should slide nicely onto your trolley.

very funny, although I am sure that many have tried the technique :D :D :D :D

AlexS
17th November 2004, 07:53 PM
I've had another idea, reverse really really fast then slam the brakes on, assuming there is nothing to catch the ts it should slide nicely onto your trolley. look out Australias funniest home videos...

Watched a bloke try to launch his boat like that at Marlay point once. Probably would have worked if he'd remembered to unhook the boat from the trailer first.

Geez that ramp was slippery! Launched the red Falcon as well!

Shaty40
17th November 2004, 09:21 PM
If you can rock the pallet up on one edge and put some water pipe under it, and use some strong timbers as ramps, it should be possble to just roll it out of the trailer

gatiep
17th November 2004, 09:38 PM
Dan,

Here in Perth the 10HB is delivered with a tray back UTE by Carbatec. They have usually one guy, sometimes two doing the delivery. They use 2 boards to slide it down the UTE. If you look at the bottom of the carton/crate that it is in, you'll note tat it has two planks there. Put the two boards, say 120 x 30 mm from the ground up to the trailer, so that they will fit into that space.Use a crow bar to slide the crate onto the planks and slide it down. If you have it close to the edge of the trailer, you can poke the two boards into that gap between the trailer base and the bottom of the crate, Then drop the boards, pushing them down to the ground. That secures the crate on top of the ends of the boards andlift it slightly. A good hard shuv and she'll be sliding down. I used the same method to off load my Vicmarc 175 lathe ( 180 Kg ) all by myself, used two boards and 3 round metal rods. Moved it accross the shed floor on the rods right to the spot where it now lives.

Good luck and have fun!

Cya

:)

bitingmidge
17th November 2004, 10:28 PM
Dan, I guess if worse comes to worst, you could:

1) Reverse the trailer to a suitable location.

2) Remove the wheels from the trailer and get the bed as level as possible.

3) Pour concrete of a suitable area around the trailer and flush with the floor.

4) Grind off the trailer sides

5) Build a new shed using the new slab as the floor.

6) Unpack the saw, without any need to move it because it will be in the centre of your new shed.

Hope that helps,

P

:D :D :D

gatiep
17th November 2004, 11:18 PM
Tsk Tsk Tsk........................................

:)

Toggy
17th November 2004, 11:25 PM
Where's the problem Dan. I'd just back the tractor up & slide the crate onto the forks.:D:D. If you bring it down here I can unload it for you.;)

Ken

journeyman Mick
17th November 2004, 11:34 PM
Dan,
I unloaded my saw (a CT250 TS-about 250kg) by myself, of my 4wd trailer, about 650mm high. Drove a hardwood wedge under one edge of the pallet with a sledgie, then llifted it further with a crow bar. Kicked a couple of lengths of 2" waterpipe under it and rolled it to the back edge of the trailer. Rolled it onto a pair of oregon (ex scaffolding) planks and skidded it down onto a waiting lenght of pipe. Then rolled it into position with several lengths of pipe. Demolished crate from around saw, unscrewed saw from pallet. Used crow bar to slide it off pallet and onto some strips of timber to allow final positioning. Once in position lifted one end with bar, removed packing strip and lowered to floor, repeat at other end. And in case you're wondering, I'm only 1680mm tall and weigh in at 80kg with a crook back and worn out shoulder so I didn't put a lot of "grunt" into the process ;) .

Mick

Shaty40
17th November 2004, 11:55 PM
Mick, was 190 cm,110kg and his back and shoulder were good before he unloaded his table saw.

Tim

Trent The Thief
18th November 2004, 05:08 AM
I picked up my saw the week before last. The freighters loaded it into my van, but then I was in the same fix. I couldn't get the darned thing out!

I ended up opening the box and removing everything that I could.

Then I worked a 10 foot 1x10 under the box and pushed it out with my feet (while laying on my back) along the board and onto a hand truck. I used band clamps to secure it, board and all, to the hand truck. The 10 foot board gave me enough leverage to shift it around. It was still a bit touchy getting it down the basement stairs.

I'm definitely making some sort small boom crane to move things around. I'm glad I didn't buy the big lathe, too...

Iain
18th November 2004, 07:47 AM
Sounds good, love to see the photo's :D :D

chook
18th November 2004, 08:27 AM
The problem with these forums is the silly suggestions and answers that people give,like this one from bitingmidge which I quote:
Dan, I guess if worse comes to worst, you could:

1) Reverse the trailer to a suitable location.

2) Remove the wheels from the trailer and get the bed as level as possible.

3) Pour concrete of a suitable area around the trailer and flush with the floor.

4) Grid off the trailer sides

5) Build a new shed using the new slab as the floor.

6) Unpack the saw, without any need to move it because it will be in the centre of your new shed.

Hope that helps,

It is too expensive and entirely unnecessary to build a new shed. The problem is that some parts of the saw are too heavy. Most people have access to an oxycutter and an angle grinder to which you can fit a cut off disk. With these few simple tools you can easily dissassemble the saw into more manageable pieces.

Now I hope that helps.

gatiep
18th November 2004, 04:10 PM
MMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm maybe

Wongo
18th November 2004, 04:24 PM
7) ......mm maybe you should move next door to Carba-tec.

chook
19th November 2004, 01:15 AM
I have had second thoughts about your problem. Bring it around to my house and we will practice by putting it into my shed first.:)