PDA

View Full Version : Shed Cladding

kgmonteiro
23rd January 2011, 12:16 AM
Hi Guys this is my first post, been reading through all the posts for a while gaining info and now the time has come. Got the green light form the "boss" (wife) to build a shed out the back, 4x3m.

I've got the floor down and will start the framing this week. My query is about external cladding...was thinking about weatherboards but they are quite expensive and the "bosses" budget is tight, about a $800. I was thinking outside the box and would plinths do? stagger them in weatherboard style and cap all edging and window trim. My studs are 400mm on centre so I thought this would prevent any warping with the plinths and then give them a sand and paint or stain. Would this "work" you think? Also any recommendations on what type of sarking I should use?

Thanks guys, as I get a boogy on I'll post some pics.

Have a good one,
Kev

bernie power
25th February 2011, 12:21 AM
As with you, I'm about to build a small shed. I'm thinking of using cement sheeting, but adding a decorative trim on the exterior walls to rid the project of drab, uninteresting facades. I suspect that using pliths as weatherboards will result in some drooping and twisting. This would depend on the quality of the wood you use in the project. Best of luck.

bsrlee
26th February 2011, 03:58 AM
One word - Termites.:oo:

I'm guessing you are using H2 or H3 LOSP treated pine for the framing, but the little &^%&* will happily travel over that to get to untreated wood.

Cement sheet, colourbond/galvanised with insulation (cheap at the moment if you look around) and a coat of paint - which you were going to have to use anyway :rolleyes:

johnc
26th February 2011, 09:07 PM
Corrugated iron on the horizontal can look quite good and I would certainly put foil behind it. In time you can put in batts and line with ply if you want to keep it cosy.