PDA

View Full Version : Kity bestcombi 2000 - can you use normal router bits on it?

Yvette Burger
25th January 2011, 12:07 AM
G'day

I am in dire need of some info about the kity bestcombi 2000. I would like to know if you are able to use normal hand router bits on it or do you have to use spesific router bits? I own nearly every kind of bit available but i am a bit weary as to try using a bit meant for use on a standard router. As i said i am scared to try and would rather ask before becoming an example of what not to do!!! Also what kind of chuck could i use if i can't get the original kity part?

If anything sounds confusing, i am originally afrikaans speaking (and blonde) so pls have patience with me.

Any help or input would be great.

Thanks

munruben
25th January 2011, 10:31 AM
Hi and welcome to the forum. There doesn't seem to be much advice regarding the bits you can use on this machine. A Google search reveals very little. someone on this forum maybe able to help with your question so keep looking in.:2tsup:

Bushmiller
25th January 2011, 11:11 AM
Hello YvetteB

Welcome. As John said, there is not too much information available. Even the Kity website is a little sketchy. There is a contact tab on it so perhaps in the first instance you could try that. They should know!

You would definitely need a router chuck and an adaptor as spindle moulders have a very different arbour.

The second problem is speed. I am not pointing to an adiction here :).

A router rpm is in the 20,000 to 30,000 range. The Kity you are considering runs at 6,500rpm. The router bits, particularly the smaller ones up to 25mm dia, would not run successfully as they would rotate far too slowly. Large bits such as used for panel raising may be ok and really you can only use those in a router with variable speed down to around 10000rpm.

Tip speed is the important factor here. The spindle moulder tip speed is faster than a router, but the spindle speed is only a third to a quarter of the router.

If you have a large number of router bits already, I am assuming you already have a router perhaps that you have in a table. Could you consider the Kity just for it's other uses?

Regards
Paul

Beneke
25th January 2011, 01:07 PM
Welkom by die forum.

Sorry, can't help you to much with your query, but agree with what has been said above, rotation speed will be a problem and can be dangerous.

Groete van Perth.:2tsup:

Yvette Burger
26th January 2011, 07:37 AM
Hello YvetteB

Welcome. As John said, there is not too much information available. Even the Kity website is a little sketchy. There is a contact tab on it so perhaps in the first instance you could try that. They should know!

You would definitely need a router chuck and an adaptor as spindle moulders have a very different arbour.

The second problem is speed. I am not pointing to an adiction here :).

A router rpm is in the 20,000 to 30,000 range. The Kity you are considering runs at 6,500rpm. The router bits, particularly the smaller ones up to 25mm dia, would not run successfully as they would rotate far too slowly. Large bits such as used for panel raising may be ok and really you can only use those in a router with variable speed down to around 10000rpm.

Tip speed is the important factor here. The spindle moulder tip speed is faster than a router, but the spindle speed is only a third to a quarter of the router.

If you have a large number of router bits already, I am assuming you already have a router perhaps that you have in a table. Could you consider the Kity just for it's other uses?

Regards
Paul
Thanks so much for the info. Have tried Kity's website. . . still waiting a reply and that was about a week ago. Anything that requires more info then just the technical specs on these machines are nearly "myth-like" in rarity. I have a router but it isn't mounted, and as the Kity is in a sense a space saver i would really have liked to use it for that purpose.

Thank you, when i joined i thought i might not even get a reply but everyone so far are extremely helpful even if it is just saying they can't find info. It feels great to know there are such a nice (think Australian Yvette) bunch of blokes out there. I will def not change to another site for help.:2tsup::D

Christos
26th January 2011, 09:33 PM
I am just going to say welcome to the forum. Do post an update once you have a reply.

Bushmiller
27th January 2011, 05:01 PM
Yvette

You might like to have a look at this link on the forum about making your own router table.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f20/challenge-create-ideal-router-table-6106/

Set aside about two weeks to read it all, but it is good. I have been contemplating and dreaming of making my own table for about four years and have even had the aluminium router plate insert for two years. One day:).

A stop gap method could be to mount your router under a thick board (eg. 32mm laminated MDF or chipboard such as used for kitchen benches). Just sit it on saw horses to use and stand it up out of the way when not in use. A lot depends on the level of accuracy you require.

Good luck hearing from Kity. It doesn't bode well that they can't reply within a reasonable period of time. There again people who think they know me, feel I am inclined to intolerance:rolleyes:.

Regards
Paul