PDA

View Full Version : Lum's Shed in Sunny Werribee

Lum
27th January 2011, 12:08 AM
:! Warning :! Rank amateur on the loose. :!

The place in Sunny Werribee I moved in to has a nice dry shed 3m x 7m.
Full of old stuff and new spiders, it took a while to clear some space but now there's a 'room' 3x3 where I could get started on making amateur sawdust.

First thing to do was make a bench. I used a Mitre 10 plan which I had downloaded a while ago but doesn't appear to still be on their site. :(
Got the timber from Bunnies and had the three top pieces cut to length.
Looking back, I don't think it was a bad place to start. It's big but simple, so my poor measuring and cutting didn't matter so much, a few mm here or there and it still pulls together fairly square.

(Sorry to everyone I've offended by my offhanded inaccuracy).

Once I had a bench I had a place to pile my little collection of tools. :roll:
Thought I should store them a bit more neatly, and I'd seen some nice examples on the web where walls were lined with ply and 'stuff' hung on. Seemed cheap and cheerful so I gave it a go. Tested my ability to cut straight lines but didn't turn out too bad in the end I reckon.

And it's all such good fun to have a go.

My Darling got me the mitre saw for Christmas !!!

Just a question: Is it cheating if I use long screws and Liquid Nails ?

Mulgabill
27th January 2011, 08:44 AM
Welcome to the Forum Lum!

When starting a long term project, any start is a good start! Your bench is of a good size.:2tsup:

I'm sure you will have many of enjoyable hours in your Shed.

Scott
27th January 2011, 09:29 AM
Definitely not cheating! I started in similar circumstances like you and now I'm a sawdust tragic.

Welcome to the forum!

Pat
27th January 2011, 09:50 AM
That's how alot of woodwreckers get started. Make a bench, as it is your most used tool. One suggestion is to either make a cabinet for the underneath or a simple "floating" shelf to enhance your storage.

Bu "floating" I mean not physically attached by screws or glue. Cut to fit around the legs and the bugger wont move on you, by is removable (in theory:U, mine's never moved).

Liquid nails is a type of glue, woodwreckers use a lot of adhesive's. No problems I can see, Liquid Nails is a little more heavy duty then PVA or CA.

Treecycle
30th January 2011, 08:03 PM
Great start Lum. Keep it going and you will have a place you will love to be in down the track. Its all good fun.

andrewr79
25th February 2011, 10:32 PM
Isn't Werribee where the Tomorrow when the war began series was set?

<begin rant> Looks a good start - but is lacking pegboard. All workshops must have pegboard! </end rant over love of pegboard>

Lum
26th February 2011, 09:30 PM
Yes Andrewr79, you're not far wrong. I've had a few big nights and thought I said "Werribee" to the cab driver and ended up in Wilby or Wycheproof or Wirrawee.

Regarding pegboard, never again.

andrewr79
27th February 2011, 11:47 AM
No pegboard? I've just manged to build myself a double sided rolling wall of it and I'm very happy with the result

sjm
22nd March 2011, 08:55 PM
Any particular reason why you put the vice in the middle of the bench? Makes cutting rather difficult.
Also, did you stuff some insulation behind that ply? It will be cooler in summer, warmer in winter, and will help with condensation.

Jim Grant
1st April 2011, 08:27 PM
Hi Lum,
You've had your shed for a couple of months now. How is it going? Mate, you find very quickly that it is too small as that is what happens to us all. welcome to the club.

Lum
6th April 2011, 11:15 PM
Any particular reason why you put the vice in the middle of the bench? Makes cutting rather difficult.
Also, did you stuff some insulation behind that ply? It will be cooler in summer, warmer in winter, and will help with condensation.

Hi SJM,

You're right. That vice is just a big blue pothole, in the road. I saw it in Supercheap and was so proud of myself for fitting it, but I'd never really used a wood vice in anger, so it was just put somewhere, rather than somewhere useful. Will be moved when I learn a bit more about the tool or get sick of it being in theway all the time.

I didn't put in any insulation because I didn't line the whole shed, just put some sheets up to hang other stuff off.

Lum
6th April 2011, 11:49 PM
Hi Lum,
You've had your shed for a couple of months now. How is it going? [...]

Hi Jim,

All good, but slow. Been busy making plywood boxes and putting things away neatly for a change. I've become enamoured of 7mm plywood and I'm just cutting up 1200x600 boards and gluing them back together like a demon. I make the cuts on the weekend and glue a few pieces each night so that I don't annoy the neighbours.

Almost all of my tools now have a home, nothing's on the bench. Most of my bibs and bobs have a home or are getting a little plywood one soon.

Trugo the Garbo Hound helps me empty the rubbish bin.

I've got a good workshop coat from a deceased gentleman's widow. I hope he's happy that it's still being used; I certainly feel privileged to wear it.

I'm as happy as a pig in whatever it is that pigs like to be in a lot. :D

Christos
7th April 2011, 03:48 PM
Some very good progress.

gms002a
8th April 2011, 12:55 PM
Hi Lum,
Impressive work.
Would you have a room up there for air compressor?. I've got GMC compressor working fine that has to go. You can have it free. I'm in Lara.
Cheers
George

Grommett
8th April 2011, 06:45 PM
Your shed is such a great WIP. Would that mine was so neat, it ain't and I blame genetics, it couldn't be me. Actually I've got a lot of 7mm ply offcuts from lining the shed. I saved them 'just in case' as one does. Perhaps there are some boxes coming on.

Lum
9th April 2011, 02:50 AM
Your shed is such a great WIP. [...]

Thanks Grommet,

I'm trying to think of something pithy to say to you. Something long the lines of: "you can do it if you really try." But I wouldn't be convincing either of us !

leon

Lum
9th April 2011, 03:26 AM
I showed these pics to some of the fellers at work and I got a few comments and suggestions. I'd like to respond formally (without the coarse words I used originally) here...

1: "You should paint the tool board white and then you could in
black mark the outline of each tool once again it's just a suggestion"
- An excellent suggestion. I will do that for any of my tools that cost more than the texta required to make the outline

2: "Too neat. You're obviously not doing anything in there"
- Please note the sawdust on the floor and the clamps in action in a couple of pictures. Some gluing is happening about each second night. Also note my bottle of Titebond II is at 20% ! I'm going bananas

3: "You're starving your dog, his bones are sticking out"
- He eats better than us ! Ms Lum sorts out the cwt* for the front end. I pick up the cwt* at the other end. (* hundredweights, for anyone under 46.3yo)

4: "You should mark the dates on your glue bottle as it goes down. Like for kids growing up, only the other way around
- A perfectly mental idea

Many thanks to all contributors.

gms002a
9th April 2011, 08:29 AM
Lum,
I'd like to sort it out aap. If you're not interested, please let me know.

gms002a
13th April 2011, 05:38 PM
link to tradetools direct

small gun

TradeTools (http://www.tradetools.com/Catalogue/ProductView.aspx?ProductCode=F32P)

bigger gun
TradeTools (http://www.tradetools.com/Catalogue/ProductView.aspx?ProductCode=DA1564P)

stapler - excellent

TradeTools (http://www.tradetools.com/Catalogue/ProductView.aspx?ProductCode=9040P)

all very good value for money

Bazzmate
13th April 2011, 09:50 PM
I'm as happy as a pig in whatever it is that pigs like to be in a lot. :D

That's great . . . as long as your not in more whatever pigs like to be in than a Werribee duck! :D

Congrats on the shed. Well done.

Lum
14th April 2011, 08:45 PM
Thanks GMS, Tip Top suggestions !