PDA

View Full Version : Want to rent a workshop together?

Too Many Clamps
27th January 2011, 10:30 PM
The lease has just run out on my workshop and now have everything in storage. Is there someone out there that would like to share the rent on a smallish factory (or part of one), between 35-50m2 in the inner north, inner west suburbs of Melbourne. Likely rent will be between $3000 and $6000 per year all for the both of us.

I have a full compliment of quality machines that I am will to share with another woodworker provided they assume all risk. Woodworking is dangerous, blah blah. All you need are your own hand tools (keep your mitts off mine), and a workbench.

old pete
28th January 2011, 06:49 PM
Hi Too many clamps,

That's an eminently sensible suggestion that should be further developed. It's a common thing in the USA to be able to hire space in a commercial workshop for retirees where you get a secure bench room of your own and access to a communal machine room and all sorts of tools like sash cramps plus instruction or machining services if you need that too.

I've seen similar down in E Gippsland under the auspices of TAFE. I can't remember where it was but it was a great set up and provided a great mentoring force for new players to the trade.

Cheers Old Pete

Too Many Clamps
28th January 2011, 08:10 PM
There's also Men Sheds. But that's not really what I have in mind. I'm not trying to set up a communal workshop, rather looking for another woodworker or 2 that would like to share in a bigger workshop. Would ideally suit someone without much machinery, but nothing is fixed in stone.

Surely there must be others out there that have outgrown their home workshop and wouldn't mind spending $30 to $50 per week for some wife-free, or husband-free for women woodworkers are welcome, workspace where they can escape to woodworking bliss.

If I can't find someone to join me, I will go ahead alone and then offer benchspace for rent. I'm not interested in returning to full-time woodworking or I would take on another apprentice. Perish the thought.

tollyboy_uk
21st March 2011, 04:24 PM
I'm in a similar situation to you. Just returned to Melbourne after a 17 year absence as my partner has taken up a job at Latrobe University. My machinery is currently in Storage in Sheffield UK but will be shipped out here sometime in the next few months. I am looking for someone to share a workshop with BUT my interest is predominantly metal work and I have quite a few metal working machines. If that wouldn't bother you I would be happy to put my machinery up for others to use provided they assume all risk. Currently located in Watsonia but happy to travel where ever public transport takes me.

Richard

Too Many Clamps
21st March 2011, 07:14 PM
Richard,

I have since sold my machines and most of my tools as my health has taken a turn for the worse, again.

Thanks

tollyboy_uk
21st March 2011, 08:15 PM
Sorry to hear it, hope you make a full recovery.

Sawdust Maker
27th March 2011, 07:29 PM
Richard,

I have since sold my machines and most of my tools as my health has taken a turn for the worse, again.

Thanks

Sorry to hear this

Hope you get better

Phildo77
11th April 2011, 03:57 PM
I am also interested in renting a workshop somewhere in the inner northern suburbs.
If anyone is interested please let me know. I have a very small amount of machinery and would only need a small amount of space. If you're keen let me know.

I hope you're feeling better Too Many Clamps.

Cheers

jarvas
5th February 2012, 01:01 AM
Hi
I'd be really interested in this if anyone still has the will
I'm currently working out of my single car garage and part of my lounge room. I started making homewares and jewelery (all in timber) and they've just taken off. I'm keen to make some bigger stuff but my space is... limited.
I'd be quite happy for people to use my machines (i've got more machines than space) and i'm keen to get more. set up a spray booth etc.
let me know if anyone is keen. I'm trying to make this my career and going somewhere alone is a bit too big a step at the moment
cheers
joe

munruben
6th February 2012, 06:59 PM
The idea sounds good. I don't know how it all turned out for TMC. its been a while since this thread was first started.

ian
6th February 2012, 07:16 PM
and it's a while (8 months) since TMC posted

I hope he's still with us

marc21
4th March 2012, 01:45 PM
Hi Jarvas,
Like you im looking for space how did you go? turns out my workshop is riddled with asbestos from the old roof.
Im making timber lampshades in Coburg and living in Kensington. I need space for a bench and im having trouble finding a small workshop .