PDA

View Full Version : Gluing Plywood

Grant Mack
28th January 2011, 09:55 PM
Hello All,
I have come across a couple of projects in some recent magazines which involve the laminating of plywood to give a usable blank.
The glues they recommend aren't available (as far as i know) in Western Australia.
Does anybody out there have any recommendations as to what glues I could use.
I have "Titebond 2" & "Liquid Nails" in the shed.
Cheers
Grant
(Hot & Humid with a Tropical Cyclone hovering on the horizon!)

Claw Hama
28th January 2011, 10:40 PM
What size is the ply and how thick? and what are you making?:U

Grant Mack
28th January 2011, 10:55 PM
Claw Hama,
I bought some 18mm thick Marine ply which needs cutting into 210mm long X 300mm to 100mm wide pieces to make a laminated blank- 17 pieces total.
It is actually a project in Woodturning magazine # 221.
The intention is, with variations that it will be a hollwform\vase shaped vessel.
Each piece is glued to the face of the preceding\following piece until the laminated blank is achieved.
And then the fun starts- the author did recommend a GOOD glue.
Cheers
Grant
Still Very Humid

brendan stemp
28th January 2011, 11:00 PM
There ain't nuthin wrong with Titebond for this job. I wouldn't use Liq Nails

Claw Hama
28th January 2011, 11:04 PM
Well your in luck, I would say Titebond II is a good glue and should do that job as good as any on the market. How old is it? Shelf life of most is only about a year so get some fresh if its much older than that. Have fun:2tsup:
Been rediculous here too, 90ish% and 30-40C for the last week. Making work very uncomfortable.

Grant Mack
28th January 2011, 11:15 PM
Cheers guys for the prompt replies.
Will go & buy some fresh Titebond as didn't realise that it had a shelf life.
All the best
Grant
Absolute Sweat Ball- warmest night for the Year last night- 50% humidity & 26.6 minimum at 2:30 am- worse expected tonight- at least we're dry unlike the poor Buggers over east!

Ed Reiss
29th January 2011, 12:40 PM
...adding my 2 cents worth - Titebond for sure - it's an excellent glue.

turnerted
29th January 2011, 04:38 PM
Grant
I have wondered about this too .The glue used in marine ply is black . I am not sure what colour titebond 2 drys. I only have 1 and 3 . You may need to consider if you want a colour change at each laminate .
Ted

Sawdust Maker
29th January 2011, 09:03 PM
I can't add to the advice above

but would like to see piccies as you go :2tsup:

joe greiner
30th January 2011, 12:11 AM
I have yet to try it, but Titebond II (2) is available in a dark formulation - part # 3704. I don't know how dark it is, but it might simulate the dark glue within the plywood better than ordinary Titebond or carpenter's glue. If you laminate the plywood sheets with face grains perpendicular to each other, the appearance might be as a single huge assembly. With yellow glue, and/or face grains parallel, it wouldn't have that effect. BTDT.

Cheers,
Joe