PDA

View Full Version : Guide rails

monoman
19th November 2004, 01:23 PM
Hiya,

Does anyone have any experience with the new style twin-connector guide rails? How straight do they join? I'm interested in the TS 55 EBQ-Plus-FS plunge saw (which comes with the 1400mm guide rail).

I need to accurately rip 2700mm, however, there's no way known I would fork over $473 for a 2700mm aluminium extrusion. I mean, $132 for the 1080mm rail is steep enough.

Whinging Pom
20th November 2004, 09:04 PM
Havenīt done it myself but as very few people can afford or carry the long rails they opt for connecting two shorter ones, not had any back feedback yet. I have to be honest in the fact that most people are ripping down with the connected rails so I donīt think that the accuracy is a big part.

Would you fancy carting 2700mm rails around? Way to easy to damage.

Andy

monoman
26th November 2004, 08:14 PM
Okay,

Just took the Festool plunge. Got an TS 55 EBQ whatever, and an extra rail. Line up of the 2 rails is pretty good. All I did was get the gap between the 2 rails even by eye. When I'll use it in anger, I'll line them up against a starightedge. Should do fine.

The saw handles like a dream. Did some tests in 18mm melamine, and some 33mm manna gum. No chipping in the melamine, and pretty good (would need v,minor further finishing for jointing) in the manna.

Still, the price is brutal.

Better go back for that OF1400 tomorrow.