PDA

View Full Version : Which Sealant

shanker99
30th January 2011, 06:28 AM
I'm half way through installing a dust extraction system in my shed. (3hp cyclone with metal ducting). I have a number of 'saddle elbows' to install. The nature of these elbows means that they require some form of sealing to make them air-tight. Can anyone suggest the best form of sealant for this purpose. I have been intending to use silicone but also have considered something like a large crack filler (which is also a bit elastic). I wondered if there is a specific product made for this purpose?
Thanks,
Bruce.

movay_2008
30th January 2011, 08:05 AM
Wnidscreen sealant?

Claw Hama
30th January 2011, 11:00 AM
If you want to paint it use a mastic either water base or oil if you don't you can use silicon or anything else that will stay there.

shanker99
30th January 2011, 12:38 PM
Okay. Thanks. Pretty much what I was thinking.

Strom
30th January 2011, 01:10 PM
Sikaflex 11Fc..

Iam sure there would be others in the Sika range that would also be suitable..

shanker99
30th January 2011, 01:57 PM
Thanks Strom. I'm not familiar with Sikaflex etc. Anyway, I have already bitten the bullet and filled the first two :-with silicone.

Strom
2nd February 2011, 11:18 PM
Sikaflex Is available at Most of the hardware chains..
Great Stuff..
They have a product for anything you can think of..

Sika Australia Pty Ltd | Australia (http://www.sika.com.au/)

I have no affiliation with the above...

Goodluck.. :2tsup:

shanker99
3rd February 2011, 05:20 AM
OKay, thanks. I'll keep an eye out for it next time I go shopping.
Cheers,
Bruce

crowie
3rd February 2011, 05:44 PM
Thanks Strom. I'm not familiar with Sikaflex etc. Anyway, I have already bitten the bullet and filled the first two :-with silicone.
G'Day Bruce,
I did a set up in a workshop recently in a maintenance workshop
and used 100mm heavy duty stormwater pipe plus
a stack of fittings from Hare & Forbes for connecting the machinery into the system.
The bloke at Hare & Forbes suggested that we use silicon sealant on all the joints & connections
as it would allow for alterations/modifications at a latter date;
so maybe you've done the right thing after all.
Cheers, Crowie

PS - Sikaflex is a top shelf engineering product we used to use in the maintenance dept of a large manufacturing plant; good product but too expensive for a home workshop dust system.

Sturdee
3rd February 2011, 06:52 PM
The nature of these elbows means that they require some form of sealing to make them air-tight. Can anyone suggest the best form of sealant for this purpose.
Bruce.

Bruce, I used ordinary duct tape, wrapped around each joint a few times.

Peter.

Mulgabill
3rd February 2011, 07:00 PM
:whs:

shanker99
3rd February 2011, 07:32 PM
Thanks Crowie and Peter,
I'm well on the way now and things are going very well. I have used only duck tape and tech screws on anything I think I may wish to undo later on and I have sealed up branches etc with silicon. This has been a long drawn out project (I built a special sound insulated shed to house the cyclone outdoors) and finally I can see a glimmer of light at the end of the duct. Can't wait to fire up the machines that I have connected it to.
Cheers,
Bruce.