PDA

View Full Version : Vicmarc VM100 Chuck Failure

steadyeddie
30th January 2011, 06:37 PM
Hello, I have a Vicmarc VM 100 chuck that has failed. After removing the back cover I saw that several of the teeth on the scroll wheel had broken off. Two single teeth had snapped (Their neighbours were fine), but in one place three in a row were broken. Also after changing jaws etc over time I have had trouble with the quality of the allen screws that secure jaws (Maybe due to continually changing to faceplates). I have looked after this chuck (regular lubrication and cleaning), and am stuck now in the middle of the bush 500kms away from anywhere that sells chucks. No more turning today! Am I stonger than I think, or does anyone had the problem with the scroll wheel teeth. I don't believe I applied too much pressure when tightening the chuck. If I choose to go with another brand of chuck, will my eixsting faceplates, jaws etc fit? This is my first post, hope it is not too longwinded, Regards Ed Baulch.

NeilS
30th January 2011, 11:20 PM
Not heard of this happening to anyone before. Reckon it's nothing you have done but that you have just been very unlucky.

Don't think you will do any better by going to another make of chuck. Suggest you contact Vicmarc and explain your plight. And tell us what their response was.

Welcome to the forum, Ed.

steadyeddie
31st January 2011, 01:13 AM
Thanks for the reply Neil. It does seem strange. I will contact Vicmarc tomorrow. I too think Vicmarc make good products. The teeth snapping individually does not seem to indicate over-tightening of the chuck (Why wouldn't the closest two jaws to the broken ones broken- the would have been in full contact with the jaw in question?) Maybe they will be able to supply me with a replacement part. This forum is an invaluable resource and I wish I had found it earlier. Cheers Ed Baulch. By the way, I am hoping to move back to Victoria this year after 16 years. How I will miss the Sheoak, Jarrah, Marri and Goldfields burls.

brendan stemp
31st January 2011, 09:06 AM
I have had this problem in the past, but only the once and it was my fault. I was trying to apply far too much pressure/torque. Vicmarc can supply replacement parts. Easily fixed. Contact them or I can do it for you. There aint any better chuck on the market from what I have seen so you have been unlucky. My advice would be to persist with Vicmarc.

brendan stemp
31st January 2011, 09:14 AM
And in relation to the screws, the wear is quite common, especially if you change the jaws a lot and also if you don't clean the dust out of the hex hole before trying to undo them. I have a sharp point (like a scratch awl) that I use to clean the heads out first before attempting to undo them. The alternative is to buy lots of chucks so you don't have to change jaws over! :D:D

These screws are also easily replaced. In fact I bought them locally from a engineer supply company. They are an off-the-shelf product. Some spares are a good idea.

INVENTOR
31st January 2011, 01:56 PM
On another forum there was reports ( from the USA) about a batch of chuck that the jaw 'teeth' broke. Perhaps from the wrong heat treatment?
Anyway the feeling was that Vicmarc was made aware of the problem, so you may have luck by contacting them.
Otherwise they are a very good product.

I hope this helps.

joe greiner
31st January 2011, 11:39 PM
+1 for spare screws. And the hex drive is enough of a PITA to persuade me to replace them with Phillips head. When you change jaws, brush the dust from the positioning slots too.

Cheers,
Joe

INVENTOR
1st February 2011, 06:47 AM
Joe, I think your post needs clarification.
1. I think you will find that most ( if not all?) chuck screws will be high tensile. Phillips head screws are typically not high tensile.
2. Phillips head tend to more troublesome ( easy to damage) than Allen head. You are correct that the Allen head do fill up with dust etc. but just pick it out with a scriber etc, to ensure a correct size allen key is used.

joe greiner
1st February 2011, 10:59 PM
Maybe I've just been lucky, but they work fine for me. Strong enough, and less troublesome. I keep the parts clean, and use hand tools only.

Cheers,
Joe