PDA

View Full Version : New Tool Cabinet Gloat

rhancock
30th January 2011, 10:40 PM
After seeing Mic-D's tool cabinet conversion last year, I've been hunting for a similar cabinet. Last week my brother moved house, and was trying to give me his tv cabinet, but I went straight past that to the lowboy next to it. It belonged to his father in laws grandmother apparently. I'd say it is probably around the second world war era utility furniture, but nicely presented, if showing a little abuse.

I've already started putting tools in, and I'll make a stand up saw till to go in the left hand side. Due to the flood issues here, I'll also put it up on a stand so it's less at risk.

The timber looks like silky oak, and I know some here have had problems with corrosion, but the interior is some sort of pine ply, and only the inside of the side panels will be silky oak any where near the tools, so I'm hoping it will be ok.

Stewey
31st January 2011, 10:29 AM
Well done- those old cabinets are always good to keep using in the shed once you add a few shelves. You can often get them for next to nothing as so many people prefer 'built-ins' when moving house.

Andy Mac
1st February 2011, 09:03 PM
Looks good, seems ample space to use in there! A practical cabinet with character.
PS I had something very similar, silky oak, which I used for my wardrobe in the bachelor years. It was retired to a shed where the bloody rats found their way in and spoiled the thing. Try as I might, with everything I could think of, I never could remove the stink from the inside... and would have made a good tool cabinet!

Cheers

Woody1
1st February 2011, 09:12 PM
Well Done your tools will love you for it:) I also am in the process of making a tool storage cabinet for under my work bench which is long overdue. I will post pics when complete.

rhancock
1st February 2011, 09:41 PM
Andy found Mic-D's cabinet (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f187/converting-old-pine-cupboard-94323/) which was the inspiration for this one, but mine isn't a patch on his. I think if I tried to cut it up, it'd fall apart - I turned it over to see what the support structure was like ( I need to build a stand to put it on), and its got loose bits all over the place.

Anyway, I think I'll end up putting more drawers in, but for now I'll just keep filling it up. Next job is to make a saw till, but I decided it needs to be a removable saw till, so that it can be moved to safety in times of floods...

mic-d
1st February 2011, 10:03 PM
Welcome to the club Richard:) I found drawers to be far and away the best way to store the smaller tools, lots of shallow shelves.
What's the story with silky and corrosion? Have only ever heard of troubles with clocks inside hmmm, think it was a rosewood.

Cheers
Michael

rhancock
1st February 2011, 10:05 PM
Thanks, Mic. I'll try and find the posts about silky. It was either IanW or Derek Cohen.

rhancock
1st February 2011, 10:29 PM
IanW it was. Here's a link: http://www.woodworkforums.com/f152/storing-chisels-71477/#post727094

"have never had any problems where metal touches wood, with Camphor, unlike the Silky Oak I used once. That was a disaster, & I still have a couple of etched patches on some saws ()."

I remember Ian complaining about the silky earlier, but maybe he'll chip in here and let us know his experiences.