PDA

View Full Version : I think it is dead - opinions please

Avery
31st January 2011, 10:08 PM
When I turn it on there are no lights -the hard disc does not spin up, the CD has no lights, there is no video. The fan in the power supply starts, the cpu and cabinet fan do not. Holding the power switch down for 10+ seconds does not turn off the PS fan

With all the data cables pulled from the motherboard and the memory modules removed, the HD and CD cycle up, still no fans and no beeps.

All the power supply voltages check OK.

PS replaced - just in case. No change.

Dead motherboard??

All opinions welcome - please, please, please..

Master Splinter
31st January 2011, 11:10 PM
Dead motherboard, more than likely if it doesn't even give a 'CPU failure' or 'RAM failure' beep code.

Another forumite pointed out this mob - MSY Online (http://www.msy.com.au) - and they've got pretty good prices. Depending on the age of your PC, you could be looking at replacing m/b, CPU and RAM. Although some older models can still be found, unless you hunt them up secondhand you'll be spending as much as buying current spec stuff anyway - and you've got no assurances that the CPU and RAM didn't get done in by whatever the motherboard died of.

Cliff Rogers
31st January 2011, 11:13 PM
Sounds like dead M/B to me.

Avery
1st February 2011, 01:54 PM
Yes. It was definately a dead MB. The CPU was a P4 Celeron in a 478 Socket and DDR1 memory. So I have advised the owner to go looking for a new MB, CPU and Memory. I have also told him that because so much hardware is being replaced , Windows will probably deactivate itself and he will need to contact Microsoft and buy a new licence.

He is considering the options.

Cliff Rogers
1st February 2011, 08:32 PM
You can re-active windows, you don't have to buy a new one.

munruben
5th February 2011, 09:01 PM
If you explain to MS you have only changed the MB but its still the same computer, they will issue you with a new product key. You don't need to buy a new license

Mike Busby
9th March 2011, 11:11 AM
You can reinstal XP Home 3 times (Within 12 months outside of 3 months it resets) before requiring reactivation. Normally you can do this automatically once the reinstall has been completed at the regustration phase. If it won't accept it click on Register by phone and copy down the code it gives you.

You then ring the Australian registration phone number and have the option of either speaking to a human (Usually call centre OS) or keying in the code. 25 didgit codes entered in groups of 5 numbers and letters via your phone key pad) Either way you have to write down the new code and then input it once into the computer. It is time sensitive so you have less than 30 minutes to input the code or it will expire and you will have to do the entire ring around again. There is aboslutely no need to purchase a new installation code. If you are stuck PM me as I have lots of them for XP home from dead computers I have reclaimed from clients.