PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Australia Day pen swap - Photographs

Pages : [1] 2

Sawdust Maker
31st January 2011, 10:31 PM
Thought it might be a good idea to have a thread for the piccies of the works of art we receive.

I'll start with this piccie:

Ok it's not a Sawdust Maker original :doh: but you've gotta admit it's a classic.

No probs with comments here either...
like: "Nick you couldn't make one that classical in a quadrillian years"

corbs
31st January 2011, 10:38 PM
Photo's out of focus towards the rear... trying to hide something back there?:rolleyes:

wheelinround
1st February 2011, 08:23 AM
Nick looks like a kit so easy your sons could do it.
How did you turn the cap want a WiP on that please.:p

gawdelpus
1st February 2011, 08:35 AM
That's a very U-BIC-UOS offering :doh: cheers ~ John

ldubia
1st February 2011, 08:55 AM
Is that the best you could do.:o:no::roll: Your camera work needs help. Ya can't see the finial. Is it postable?

ldubia
8th February 2011, 07:27 PM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
I am very happy to say I have gotten the swap pen from Ian. It is a streamline in gunmetal. The wood is a nice looking white gum. He did a great job on it and I love it. I love the blanks he sent as well. Those will look great wrapped around a kit. :D:D

Larry

CeeGee
10th February 2011, 07:29 PM
:D:D Yes!! My swap pen from Dudley Young has arrived. It's a Sculpted Arbor pen wrapped in a beautiful Amboyna burl and some great blanks to go with it. I look forward to turning them.:):):)
My apologies for the out of focus at the front but I think you'll still be able to work out it's a lovely pen.

Coral

Sawdust Maker
11th February 2011, 09:54 AM
Nice pens Dudley and Ian

ldubia and CeeGee you are both very lucky

cookie48
11th February 2011, 12:18 PM
very attractive pen.

USNR'03
13th February 2011, 12:46 PM
:D:D Yes!! My swap pen from Dudley Young has arrived. It's a Sculpted Arbor pen wrapped in a beautiful Amboyna burl and some great blanks to go with it. I look forward to turning them.:):):)
My apologies for the out of focus at the front but I think you'll still be able to work out it's a lovely pen.

Coral

Very impressive Pen

Congradulations!!

Peter:roll:

Brett Hammond
14th February 2011, 06:23 PM
I received my parcel from Larry (Idubia) today.

One is a Starry Sunset Acrylic Aero PW, the other a Patchwork Pencil along with same extra leads. Larry has done a great job turning both of them. The parcel also contained 6 pen blanks that I am sure I will put to good use.

I hope the picture quality is ok, I am a better woodturner than photographer.

Brett

Nai84
15th February 2011, 11:25 PM
Hey Everyone

I was gop smacked when I got my package today from Larry AKA ldubia The Pen an Pencil he sent me are ARWSOME and I love them to bit the blanks are also ARWSOME I think I am gonna have some fun turning them up so I would like to say a BIG THANKS to Larry :cool::2tsup: Pencil is sycamore made from Maple, Cocobolo, Zebra and Walnut segments the Pen is made from Particle board and patchwork gatsby and the blanks are Redwood Burl x 2, Madrone Burl, Patchworkan Arcylic blank with wood in it and the last one I have know idea maybe Larry can help thier

Ian
(pic will be load via mobile asap)

ldubia
16th February 2011, 04:33 AM
I believe the blank is Ipe if not mistaken. :2tsup: Could be wastree though. :oo::D:D Makes a nice pen though.

Enjoy.
Larry

Nai84
16th February 2011, 01:36 PM
I believe the blank is Ipe if not mistaken. :2tsup: Could be wastree though. :oo::D:D Makes a nice pen though.

Enjoy.
Larry

Hey Larry

Thanks for that I found the name it was written on the end and it is Ipe and dont worry I will enjoy I hope you can also enjoy yours

Ian

ldubia
16th February 2011, 04:15 PM
Hey Larry

Thanks for that I found the name it was written on the end and it is Ipe and dont worry I will enjoy I hope you can also enjoy yours

Ian

No worries there mate. I will enjoy them greatly.

Larry

Nai84
16th February 2011, 05:20 PM
Larry glad to here :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::D:D:D:D

Ian

Big Shed
17th February 2011, 06:40 PM
Received my parcel from my partner, UKPenmaker, today. In fact I went to the post office today to send his parcel off and it turned in to a swap at the post office. His parcel was sent last Friday and had turned up today.

The contents blew me away, not only was there a beautiful Baron fountain pen, closed end and custom finial in Yew, for me in there, but also an Elegant Beauty in Laburnum for SWMBO as well.

Both in boxes specially labeled with our names on them.

As well as this Andy sent some very nice timber blanks, Yew, Laburnum and Horse Chestnut, and a couple of very spiffy looking acrylics.

Thank you very much from both of use Andy, you have made the 2011 Australia Day Pen Swap a memorable one for both Johanna and I:2tsup::2tsup:

bench1holio
17th February 2011, 07:24 PM
hey bs,
that closed end is freakin awsome:o lucky bugger!

Ironwood
17th February 2011, 08:40 PM
hey bs,
that closed end is freakin awsome:o lucky bugger!

I'll second that !! :2tsup:

UKpenmaker
17th February 2011, 08:42 PM
Glad they arrived safely Fred, pretty quick too! :)

That was the first custom finial that i have done, thought i would push myself i bit for the swap, i even managed to get it done in about 4 attempts :wink:

Excellent job on the photos Fred, couldn't have done better myself.

Pleased that you like the pens, will let you all know when mine arrives.:2tsup:

seriola
17th February 2011, 10:19 PM
Great looking pens, anyone would be very pleased indeed to receive that package.

cookie48
18th February 2011, 01:03 PM
Received my pen from Nicholas (woodminister) today,along with some great blanks. I am very happy with it all.
The pen is made from Desert Ironwood and is great. :2tsup:
The blanks are from top of pic :oo:
Mesquite, Desert Willow, Rosewood, Desert Ironwood.
Here is hoping I can do justice to them. :?
Once again thanks Nicholas.

ldubia
18th February 2011, 02:24 PM
I got a package from Bernie (BClapcott) today. He sent me three cool blanks of Huon pine, and huon pine burl and tiger myrtle. Tucked in the package was a sweet pair of fine writing instruments. First was a Huon Birdseye Pine Navigator (looked like huon birdseye.) A beautiful job on the workmanship. Very smooth, good finish, and great wood choice. Second was a slimline in what looks like Banksia pod! Very cool look. I'm sure he'll correct my mistakes here so I'll know. That is a sweet looking pen as well. You rock dude! Thaks a whole bunch Bernie!

Larry

bench1holio
18th February 2011, 05:29 PM
got my pen swap package today from michigan mike,

what a cracker! :2tsup: shredded money on a rinehart kit.

plus some blanks for me to try, i havnt turned any of these timbers yet.

the lignum smells sooooo good i cant wait! :D

thanks mike.

Big Shed
18th February 2011, 05:31 PM
Good score there lovely pen and nice blanks:2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
18th February 2011, 10:51 PM
michigan mike, and
BClapcott, and
woodminister
great work each of you - magic looking pens

Larry

I think your second pen is Tiger Myrtle

Michigan Mike
19th February 2011, 05:10 AM
Sorry about taking so long to post but here's the pen I received from bench1holio.
Ben did a great job on the pen and really made me feel welcome. I'll be looking forward to next years swap.
The pen is Coolibah burl on a Baron. Can't wait to turn the blanks.
Mike

cigarman
19th February 2011, 09:19 AM
I recieved my pens from John ( Gawdelpus) today. The only thing I can say is WOW. It is a silver and gold pen and pencil set that is one of the best pens I have ever recieved. The workmanship is fantastic and the material is ...well fantastic also. Also the blanks are some I have never had so I can hardly wait to turn them I will try to get a picture later to post. John you have made me rethink the pen I was going to send so it is back to the drawing board :doh:. Hope to get it in the mail by next week.

Simomatra
20th February 2011, 03:19 PM
Its safe to post here as jerry has told me he has received the pen.

The pen is a Jnr Marshal dressed in red mallee burl and the finish is WOP 30 coats.

I also sent 4 blanks and one of David's left top boxes not pictured< jerry will have to post as I only took the pen

The one to Marla which is different has not arrived a s yet so no pictures

http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l369/simomatra/Pens/RMBJM1.jpg
http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l369/simomatra/Pens/RMBJM2.jpg
http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l369/simomatra/Pens/RMBJM3.jpg
http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l369/simomatra/Pens/RMBJM4.jpg

Sawdust Maker
20th February 2011, 06:32 PM
Sam

great pen :2tsup:

JerrySambrook
21st February 2011, 01:00 PM
Got my pen from Sam, and he has already posted pics, but I still took some and here they be.
To start with, I do want to say that this is much better in person that my pics or his convey. I cannot say thank you hard enough.
It is a gorgeously done piece of red malee with an awesome finish on a non-postable jr marshall

Just plain superb work

The four timbers are:
1) huon pine
2) figured myrtle
3) Blackheart Sassafras
4) Rose Oak

Thank You
Sincerely
Jerry Sambrook

seriola
21st February 2011, 01:39 PM
There are some truly beautiful pens journeying from one side of the world to the other and this is another great example. Gives us newbies something to aspire to.

Big Shed
21st February 2011, 03:44 PM
Well done Sam, you've done your partner proud, lovely work and presentation:2tsup::2tsup:

Crickett
21st February 2011, 04:54 PM
Its safe to post here as jerry has told me he has received the pen.

The pen is a Jnr Marshal dressed in red mallee burl and the finish is WOP 30 coats.

I also sent 4 blanks and one of David's left top boxes not pictured< jerry will have to post as I only took the pen

The one to Marla which is different has not arrived a s yet so no pictures

http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l369/simomatra/Pens/RMBJM1.jpg
http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l369/simomatra/Pens/RMBJM2.jpg
http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l369/simomatra/Pens/RMBJM3.jpg
http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l369/simomatra/Pens/RMBJM4.jpg

Wow Sam!!! I hope I'll be as lucky as Jerry, that pen is incredible! :2tsup:
I'll post pictures as soon as it arrives.

Simomatra
22nd February 2011, 12:27 PM
Marla

Hopefully you will get yours today

It just like Christmas when we have these swaps

Dudley Young
24th February 2011, 03:16 AM
Received a beautiful Cigar dressed in Red Mallee Burl and five great blanks. Thank you CeeGee. I will put it with my other treasures. It's a real beauty. Can't wait to turn the Mallee blank you sent. Regards, Dudley in Florida, USA.:2tsup:

Seer
24th February 2011, 09:03 AM
Recieved my pens from Ozkaban and they are beauties and some nice timber to go with them. I will post pics when Dave recieves his and hopefully he enjoys them as much as I enjoy these.
Cheers
Jerry

Simomatra
24th February 2011, 09:15 AM
Wow! :thewave:Marla's parcel has arrived via an extremely fast pigeon, what can I say Marla you have blown me away. Your work is outstanding.

Not only was there a fantastic Steampunk Jnr Statesman FP but there was also 3 fantastic timber blanks with history and if that wasn't enough Marla included 4 of her absolutely beautiful casting two in Chiyogami and two feathers. I can'y wait to turn these they will never be for sale in the private collection, thank you Marla.

Marla is still waiting on her parcel so I hope she enjoys it as much as I have enjoyed receiving form her.

Congratulation on your new new business venture Marla I am sure it will keep you very busy

Crickett
24th February 2011, 10:46 AM
Sam,

I'm glad the package arrive safe and sound ... that was no pigeon, it was a big ole stork, they are the ones that make deliveries on time!! :;

Glad you like what I sent, I'm told there is a package in my mailbox to pick up when I head home shortly, I'll post pictures if it's the package!!

Simomatra
24th February 2011, 10:52 AM
Cheers Marla fingers crossed that it is the package.

Ozkaban
24th February 2011, 11:20 AM
The quality of pens has been amazing this year... I suddenly wish I had more time to put into mine :-

Cheers,
Dave

Seer
24th February 2011, 11:27 AM
Dave your pens are great quality and I really like them a lot and hope you like mine as well and the goodies. I figured you would rather have some goodies than a wood pen box.:D:D
Jerry

Crickett
24th February 2011, 12:25 PM
Cheers Marla fingers crossed that it is the package.

Fingers crossed must have worked because the package was in the box!! :2tsup: I love it!! A Jr. Marshall in Lace Sheoak finished with 20 coats of WOP, tucked safe and sound in a beautiful box with Birds eye Huan Pine, Figured Myrtle, Black Heart Sassafras and Rose or Flame Oak local to Sam.

Thank-you so much Sam, I knew I lucked out with as a partner!! :U

Simomatra
24th February 2011, 01:37 PM
Hi Marla,

I am am glad it has arrived and you like it.

Some more pictures I took before sending

http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l369/simomatra/Pens/_MG_3144.jpg
http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l369/simomatra/Pens/_MG_3142.jpg
http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l369/simomatra/Pens/_MG_3145.jpg

Crickett
24th February 2011, 03:01 PM
Hi Marla,

I am am glad it has arrived and you like it.

Some more pictures I took before sending

http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l369/simomatra/Pens/_MG_3144.jpg
http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l369/simomatra/Pens/_MG_3142.jpg
http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l369/simomatra/Pens/_MG_3145.jpg

Beautiful pictures, your photography skill are much better than mine, thank-you Sam!!

Marla

Ozkaban
24th February 2011, 04:27 PM
Wahoo! I've just had a call from LOML and there's a parcel of goodies from the US sitting there... piccies tonight :2tsup:

ldubia
24th February 2011, 05:22 PM
I went to the Post Office on Tuesday and found a brown box crammed into the slot. after much struggling (and hoping not to break something) I finally got it out. It wasn't the order I thought it was. It was something far better. A swap box from Brett! :2tsup::2tsup:Whoohoo!!!:D:D:D:2tsup::2tsup:

I sped (yes, really sped) home to tear it open. I found a note, three very sweet blanks, and a pen. I took out the note and read it. It detailed the types of pens, the woods, and ...PENS??? I had seen only one. I noticed the box had a tear in the side. I thought UH OH. One fell out. I was a bit saddened until I took out the blanks and found yet another wrapped piece. Inside was the box he made for the pen with the second pen inside it. I woke my wife up hollering about how cool it looked and how it was so nice and I got it! She thought I was crazy or something until I showed it to her.

So...to make a long story short (too late for that) here's the pics of the contents of the package.

An Executive Sierra Australiana in Mangrove. he said it was supposed to be bright blue. I'd love to see that.

162415 162416

Next is the box he made from Jarrah Burl. Very precise joinery. Beautiful box. Lovin' it.

And here's the pen inside it.

Lastly is the Cambridge Hybrid rollerball in Coolibah Burl.

And of course, let's not forget the very cool timbers he sent my way.

Boy do I feel ultra special! I feel like I scored big time. :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Larry:U:U

cookie48
24th February 2011, 08:41 PM
What great looking pen pieces are shown here. I am going to start work on next years swap now.

Ozkaban
24th February 2011, 09:15 PM
Well I'm gobsmacked :oo:

Got home to this parcel, crammed with goodies. Seer is a very generous individual :2tsup:

Two beautiful pens. A cigar in mesquite burl which has just become my daily user :cool: and a beautiful sierra/diplomat made of Canary wood. Took me ages to realise it's actually two halves laminated together - brilliant work :2tsup:

I've not heard about some of the timbers but I will certainly enjoy playing with them. Don't know what the two darker brown ones on the top are (Walnut?). Some, like the Arizona desert wood and the mesquite burl are ones I've always wanted to have a go at, so a very biig thank you to Jerry,

Appologies about the photos... I'm exhausted and didn't do a good job. Believe me, the pens are first rate - beautiful finish and perfect fit.

Cheers,
Dave

UKpenmaker
25th February 2011, 12:32 AM
Just received my pen today from Fred aka Big Shed and what a stunner it is too.

A El Grande roller-ball made possibly from a Red Gum worthless wood cast???
Will have to wait for confirmation from Fred to see if i am correct.

Excellent work on the pen and with a custom finial and Fred even managed to use my favorite plating Black Titanium.:D:2tsup:

But not just a pen a really nice selection of Aussie blanks too.

Cheers, Andy

USNR'03
25th February 2011, 12:41 AM
What great looking pen pieces are shown here. I am going to start work on next years swap now.

After seeing the latest pictures I'm going to do the same!!

Thay are all fantastic!!!!

Peter

Simomatra
25th February 2011, 07:50 AM
Andy

I think you will find your pen is made from straight bark from one of the large trees on Fred's property. I have one of his blanks on the go at the moment.

Fred will confirm soon.

Lucky man Dave I have done blank swaps with Jerry and they are terrific nice haul.

Big Shed
25th February 2011, 08:48 AM
Hi Andy, Sam's correct, it is made from the bark of the Red Ironbark tree. One of the blanks I sent you, the funny fragile red and black one, is the same.

Seer
26th February 2011, 12:14 AM
The top is a Black Walnut Curly Burl and the other I forget could be Black Walnut but the colors are more like the Koa. The Mesquite burl even with those inclusions will give a wonderful pen just lots of patience and if you know someone who does worthless wood they may be able to stabilize it for you. Glad you enjoyed them and look forward to seeing them. By the way when I cut the ironwood there were shotgun pellets in the middle of them and we think the tree was over 150 years when it was cut down.
Jerry

Well I'm gobsmacked :oo:

Got home to this parcel, crammed with goodies. Seer is a very generous individual :2tsup:

Two beautiful pens. A cigar in mesquite burl which has just become my daily user :cool: and a beautiful sierra/diplomat made of Canary wood. Took me ages to realise it's actually two halves laminated together - brilliant work :2tsup:

I've not heard about some of the timbers but I will certainly enjoy playing with them. Don't know what the two darker brown ones on the top are (Walnut?). Some, like the Arizona desert wood and the mesquite burl are ones I've always wanted to have a go at, so a very biig thank you to Jerry,

Appologies about the photos... I'm exhausted and didn't do a good job. Believe me, the pens are first rate - beautiful finish and perfect fit.

Cheers,
Dave

Seer
26th February 2011, 12:32 AM
Here are the pens I recieved from Ozkaban and they are beautys. Jarrah on an Australiana and a Baron with Carbon Fiber something I had been wanting to try for awhile so this gives me a little push to get it done. My pics aren't the greatest but these pens are. Oh I got some bits as well Figured Queenskand Maple, Sheoak, Brown Mallee Burl and a nice piece of Redgum. Looking forward to tirning these soon.
Jerry

Spanner69
26th February 2011, 12:46 AM
Amos,
what more can I say other than what I wrote to you via email. I can not believe the time and thought that went into this pen and the box it came in!

I will get picture organized but suffice to say I had a VERY hard time getting the pen back from my daughter who wants it for her home work and I also have a very hard time convincing my 3 nearly 4 yr old that the amazing art work on the box in MINE not HIS!

Once again Amos thankyou from the bottom oft heart for this fabulose pen.

I now have a nearly clean yard and working she again after the cyclone so your pen should be ready tontirn and assemble and shoot off to you...... but I am thinking I now need to commision someone to make a good one for me to send to you. ;)

cheers spanner69

Dudley Young
26th February 2011, 06:06 AM
Received a beautiful Cigar dressed in Red Mallee Burl and five great blanks. Thank you CeeGee. I will put it with my other treasures. It's a real beauty. Can't wait to turn the Mallee blank you sent. Regards, Dudley in Florida, USA.:2tsup:
Correction: Not a Cigar, it's a BARON.

lazylathe
1st March 2011, 12:13 PM
WOW!!
Looking at all the pens i am hoping mine stands up to all the others!

I received my box fromIronwood today and it was jammed full of goodies and a pen!!!!:o

Not sure of the wood but it is a segmented Elegant Beauty and what a BEAUTY it is!!
Also a whole pile of blanks that i have never turned or heard of before!!
This is going to keep me busy for a long time!!!

Question: What does "dead finish" mean??

Kind of nervous about the pen i sent. It was the first one i have done in this type of style and it is different... Hope you like it Brad!!!

Thanks for all the cool goodies!!
Once the workshop is back together i will send you off another and some more blanks!

Andrew AKA lazylathe

mkypenturner
1st March 2011, 08:50 PM

hey andrew that is a common name that we call that timber over here
it is only found in the drier area of a couple of states
supposedly named that by the aboriginal people ( native ) as to when that tree dies that the whole area that it was growing is dead and nothing will grow or live there :oo: ( very bloody dry )
hope that helps

Todd Gengelbach
2nd March 2011, 08:07 AM
I got my pen today from seriola.WOW the finish is great.I also got some great blanks.Some I have never heard of.Going to enjoy these.Thanks again Des.Have a great day.

Ironwood
2nd March 2011, 08:54 AM
I received my box fromIronwood today and it was jammed full of goodies and a pen!!!!:o

Not sure of the wood but it is a segmented Elegant Beauty and what a BEAUTY it is!!
Also a whole pile of blanks that i have never turned or heard of before!!
This is going to keep me busy for a long time!!!

Andrew AKA lazylathe

Glad you liked my pen Andrew, It is made from Mackay Cedar and Norfolk Island Hibiscus.
Its one of a series I have made of these lately, constantly changing the angles trying to get the best balance.

I have started on your next pen, hope to get a bit more done on it today.
( for anyone wondering why we are doing another one ) - just before I was about to start on my swap pen for Lazylathe, I had an accident while working in my shed, and sharpened up one of my fingers on the Jointer.
I contacted Andrew and said if it was OK with him, I would send him a pen that I had on the production line, that was almost finished. And when my hand had healed up I would make the pen that I had planned for the swap and forward that on also.
Andrew also wanted to make another and send it, so we are lucky enough to be doing 2 swaps :).

For some info on the Dead Finish blanks have a look at Ttit's fantastic website, Dead Finish (http://www.ttit.id.au/treepages/deadfinish.htm)

A couple of the other blanks will also be listed on his website if you want to check them out also.

cookie48
3rd March 2011, 01:49 PM
Received my Pen Swap gift from Cindy (aka handyrn) today.:2tsup:What a great pen and blanks I got.:p
Pics show pen and cover,blanks are
top left Myrtle, centre top Maple, top right Aspen, bottom left Buckeye burl, bottom right Turkish Walnut, centre Coffe Bean, centre top Coco Bolo.:D
Thanks very much Cindy they are great and will be used with care.
Dean Cook

Ironwood
3rd March 2011, 06:52 PM
I got a nice surprise when I checked the mailbox this morning, a package from Canada :2tsup:.

A nicely turned and finished pen, I am guessing it's Cocobolo but could be Honduran Rosewood also. Andrew will let us know for sure.
It also has some segmented accents.
Also a very nice selection of blanks, I cant wait to turn some of these tasty morsels:wink:
Not sure what the black rod is on the left side of pic, looks interesting though, hopefully Andrew can tell me what it is made of.

I had trouble with these pics, maybe a darker background would have helped.
In the third pic, it started to rain, the spot is a raindrop. ( yes I take my pics outside, in natural light)

Sawdust Maker
3rd March 2011, 08:50 PM
My package from dalecamino arrived yesterday

Thanks Charles, absolutely stunning.:2tsup:

I received a Rhodium and Gold Titanium Jnr Statesman II clad in a fantastic piece of cocobolo. It has my name engraved in it so my son can't steal it :p. It came in a bamboo presentation box along with some blanks and timber. I think you'll all agree it is a absolutely superb pen. :woot:

163129 163130

The piece of Hondurus rosewood is also pretty special. Can anyone suggest which way they would slice it up? No I won't send it for examination :no:

The second blank on the right is a bit of crotch walnut - some very nice fiddleback

Charles, once again, thanks very much

lazylathe
3rd March 2011, 10:31 PM
Glad you liked the pen Brad!!

As for the blank on the left it is a material called Nylatron.
Here is a brief summary from wikipedia:
Nylatron is a tradename for a family of nylon (http://www.woodworkforums.com/wiki/Nylon) plastics, typically filled with molybdenum disulfide (http://www.woodworkforums.com/wiki/Molybdenum_disulfide) lubricant powder. It is used to cast plastic parts for machines, because of its mechanical properties and wear-resistance.
Nylatron is a brand name of DSM Plastics and was originally developed and manufactured by Polypenco.
Nylatron is used in rotary lever actuators (http://www.woodworkforums.com/wiki/Actuator) where unusual shapes are required. They are also used as heavy-duty caster wheels, normally as a replacement for cast iron or forged steel.

And a link to the IAP for a quick video of a finished pen:
3/4 and 1/2 diameter Nylatron Blanks - International Association of Penturners (http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=72140)

Will start on your second pen as soon as i can find my lathe under all the bits of my disassembled Atlas 618 metal lathe that i am reconditioning!!!

Andrew

I got a nice surprise when I checked the mailbox this morning, a package from Canada :2tsup:.

A nicely turned and finished pen, I am guessing it's Cocobolo but could be Honduran Rosewood also. Andrew will let us know for sure.
It also has some segmented accents.
Also a very nice selection of blanks, I cant wait to turn some of these tasty morsels:wink:
Not sure what the black rod is on the left side of pic, looks interesting though, hopefully Andrew can tell me what it is made of.

I had trouble with these pics, maybe a darker background would have helped.
In the third pic, it started to rain, the spot is a raindrop. ( yes I take my pics outside, in natural light)

Simomatra
4th March 2011, 08:06 AM
My package from dalecamino arrived yesterday

Thanks Charles, absolutely stunning.:2tsup:

I received a Rhodium and Gold Titanium Jnr Statesman II clad in a fantastic piece of cocobolo. It has my name engraved in it so my son can't steal it :p. It came in a bamboo presentation box along with some blanks and timber. I think you'll all agree it is a absolutely superb pen. :woot:

163129 163130

The piece of Hondurus rosewood is also pretty special. Can anyone suggest which way they would slice it up? No I won't send it for examination :no:

The second blank on the right is a bit of crotch walnut - some very nice fiddleback

Charles, once again, thanks very much

You could always bring it here and we will cut it up :p:p Nice haul

Sawdust Maker
4th March 2011, 10:32 AM
You could always bring it here and we will cut it up :p:p Nice haul

The cutting up is the easy bit - where to cut - now that will require some thought

dalecamino
4th March 2011, 12:51 PM
:U Glad you like the pen Nick. As far as the HRB, I had the same delima deciding how to cut the slab so, I sent it to YOU :U Now I don't have to worry with it anymore :2tsup:

Spanner69
4th March 2011, 09:48 PM

163121[/QUOTE]

wow!!!!!! that is awsome.

HazzaB
4th March 2011, 09:49 PM
Hey There,

I posted two (2) parcels to the other side of the world today, Ron and Rob, they should be there in about 7-10 days

HazzaB

Penpal
5th March 2011, 11:26 AM
Beautifull Pen, Box and two blanks to make. Waited for Ed but he he has Computer settling in probs.

I am delighted with your swap Ed.

Kind regards Peter.:2tsup:

PS No collusion but we were swap partners last year how about that for lightning.

Sawdust Maker
5th March 2011, 02:01 PM

PS No collusion but we were swap partners last year how about that for lightning.

The one thing I didn't plan for - lightning strikes :doh:
oh well

Nice pen Ed:2tsup:

Rippa
5th March 2011, 03:30 PM
Recieved my parcel from Newlondon88 yesterday had to take some photo's before posting here, also had to reclaim it from SWMBO before that ??
It is a magnificent pen in a pen case I have never seen before. The pen kit and the timber are both new to me. The cook claimed the pen, as it has crystals around the the middle band and a cut crystal cap.
As with all photo's they dont show the true colour and finish, much better in the flesh. Also included was 4 pen blanks 1 resin 2 I think curly Maple ?? and 1 of the same timber that the pen is made out of ??.

Charlie will correct me if I am wrong and hopfully tell me the name of the kit and timber.:2tsup:
Thanks very much Charlie and to the organisers of the pen swap

Sawdust Maker
5th March 2011, 07:25 PM
Charlie, nice pen. Great work on the box lid :2tsup:

Rippa - you've gotta be happy with that

Rippa
5th March 2011, 11:23 PM
Charlie, nice pen. Great work on the box lid :2tsup:

Rippa - you've gotta be happy with that

More than Happy Nick over the moon I can only dream of making a pen like the one I recieved

Rippa

cookie48
6th March 2011, 01:05 AM
All pens received up to date look great. Love the artwork on the lid of the box.

Mrs Woodpecker
6th March 2011, 04:50 PM
My parcel from QC Inspector has arrived, and I am stoked. I just hope I can do the acrylic pheasant feather blank justice.
The wood blanks are Box Elder Burl, a Black Locust Burl and 2 Curly Western Maples.
The pen is just gorgeous. I have not owned a fountain pen for many years, and certainly never one as luxurious as this. Thanks Pete and Marla.
Cheers,
Shirley

Simomatra
6th March 2011, 04:54 PM
Wow! Marla and Pete well done that is another beauty. :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Shirley I can see the smile om your face :oo:

Sawdust Maker
6th March 2011, 07:27 PM

Shirley I can see the smile om your face :oo:

That's funny - I could see it from here as well :D positively beaming, got sunburnt I did!

Great pen, Marla and Pete :2tsup:

QC Inspector
7th March 2011, 04:14 AM
Thanks for the complements. The hardest part was picking the blank to turn. :wink: I'm glad Shirley likes the pen and look forward to the next few days when my goodies arrive. :2tsup:

Pete

wheelinround
7th March 2011, 07:34 AM
The cutting up is the easy bit - where to cut - now that will require some thought

I'm not as far away and I can think and cut at the same time while you have coffee:;

NewLondon88
8th March 2011, 12:07 PM
Charlie will correct me if I am wrong and hopfully tell me the name of the kit and timber.:2tsup:
Thanks very much Charlie and to the organisers of the pen swap

Hey Bryan.. glad it got there safe and sound..
As I do often, I typed up a note to send with the box and then forgot to PUT IT in the
box! :oo:

the pen is a Venus kit from Exotic Blanks and the wood is curly bubinga. I finished it
with WOP. The box is from PSI, but the lid is routed out to fit a cold cast bronze inlay
I made. And yes, there was some very curly maple in the box, too. It looked so good I
had to get it, even though I'll never make that many curly maple pens :p

I'm told there is a package from Australia for me to pick up :2tsup: I'll do that tomorrow.
Glad you like them.. I'll make more! :D

seamus7227
8th March 2011, 12:24 PM
Well , my package showed up from Mrs woodpecker! Its a Gold Sierra with Myrtle burl and it is beautiful! Shirley also threw in some wonderful pen blanks to go along with the pen. Thanks again Mrs Woodpecker!

Touchwood
8th March 2011, 09:15 PM
Packages ready for mailing tomorrow - we have has such a huge run of 35 C days for the past 30 plus days that it has been, prior to this weekend, too hot to get into the shed .... I dream of luxuries like lining and air conditioning (mainly in my classroom - cooking room!!!). Could be worse, the water hasn't flooded my shed and the earth hasn't tried to shake it to pieces!!:wink::wink:

Pizwiz and Phil can start pacing ... waiting ....

JD

Reece
8th March 2011, 10:04 PM
A package from Nick arrived yesterday. Beautiful copper and black enamel sierra dress in (maybe) curly red gum, along with some great woods including some of the paperbark he showed off recently. Thanks Nick, I love it!

Pictures will be up when i get a photo of it.

NewLondon88
9th March 2011, 12:54 PM
Got a package today with a beautiful Jr Victor pen and some great blanks :D
Funny, I was looking around the classifieds for some tiger myrtle lately..
and guess what was also in the box? :2tsup:

Thanks, Rippa!!

(no pics, my camera isn't working.. but I think he took some pics before he shipped..)

mick61
9th March 2011, 02:08 PM
G`day here are the pens and blanks I got from Snyiper.A bullet pen and one in pisstachio.Both very nice I am not sure how the deer is attached. The three blanks by them self need names any suggestions.
Mick:D

gawdelpus
9th March 2011, 03:16 PM
Looks a fun selection there :) I think you have some curly maple ,and longleaf pine (like our cypress) no idea on the burl though :) , cheers ~ John

PenTurner
9th March 2011, 06:36 PM
Mick, great selection, beautiful pens, my guess starting from the top-
1. Curly Maple
2. Zebra wood
3. Amboyna
Amos:):2tsup:

PenTurner
9th March 2011, 06:45 PM
:)My Swap partner, 65GTMustang(Kevin), in South Carolina, USA, has sent me a Ubeaut Pen and Stand, the pen is made from Maple, and the top is custom cast in the flag ensigns of South Carolina! very thoughtful and artistic. Along with that came the blanks! now I have no excuse-I will quickly whip up a slimline from Red Gum and send it!:D(only joking):) The Stand is turned from Dogwood--and I am over the moon!:U Amos
Here is how he did it in his own words-------
The upper barrel is Uncirculated – Proof a hand cut SC state quarter (being a proof coin from the mint the first and only time the coin had been touched by bare hands was when it was cracked open from its case to be altered. It makes a big difference in the visual quality to use a proof coin over one that is in circulation, a normal coin…etc...
Then A LOT of tedious work goes into shaving the quarter’s thickness down to 1/3 it’s original thickness so that it does not bulge out from the barrel. The coin is then cut with a scroll saw “very carefully” LOL
The coin is bent around the shape of the pen barrel being used.
A picture of the State flag is printed from the computer and used as a wrap – That’s the blue background with a Crescent Moon and Palmetto Tree. The quarter is set in place and then the blank is clear cast with poly resin.
The lower barrel and the desk base are both Dogwood – This is the State Tree. It is a vey slow growing tree that puts out beautiful flowers in the spring I have attached some pictures. The wood that your pen was turned from actually came from a tree that had been on family land since 1948.
Both of the barrels were turned and finished with micro mesh, then a CA finish and micro mesh again….you probably know the routine…LOL J
The base was turned with a special mandrel for closed-end barrel turning. The base was shaped to leave and show as much of the natural bark from the wood as I could. I did soak the bark with some thin CA in areas that were loose in order to keep it from falling apart; I hope it held up well during its travels.
The mossy looking coating on the bark is called lichen – it is a harmless fungus type “stuff” that seems to take over many of the Dogwood trees.

Basically other than the Platinum Finished Baron pen components the rest of the pen is all native South Carolina materials. It was the thought to make a pen based on the area I am from

mick61
9th March 2011, 10:31 PM
Cheers Amos.
Mick:D

Rippa
10th March 2011, 01:26 AM
Now that Charlie has recieved his package I can post the photo's I have of it, Pleased you liked the pen Charlie and also the Tiger Myrtle.

Rippa

handyrn
10th March 2011, 03:30 AM
Received my Pen Swap gift from Cindy (aka handyrn) today.:2tsup:What a great pen and blanks I got.:p
Pics show pen and cover,blanks are
top left Myrtle, centre top Maple, top right Aspen, bottom left Buckeye burl, bottom right Turkish Walnut, centre Coffe Bean, centre top Coco Bolo.:D
Thanks very much Cindy they are great and will be used with care.
Dean Cook

Received my pen(s) from Cookie and they are beautifully made of Platypus Gum, with very nice workmanship. Then about a week later I got another box with really nice blanks all labeled so I can identify them. I have tried to take pics, but camera is not doing a nice job so I will try again so I can show them off.

NewLondon88
10th March 2011, 09:59 AM
Pleased you liked the pen Charlie and also the Tiger Myrtle.
Rippa

Oh, I did .. that finish is like glass! :2tsup:

dalecamino
13th March 2011, 06:39 AM
I received my pen from Nick (Sawdust Maker) It is a Black Titanium Baron FP, with what he believes to be Lemon scented Gum, found roadside in suburban Sidney. It has some excellant spalting and, very nice color. Along with the pen, I received a very nice assortment of blanks, with the corners sanded off.

Very pleased with this swap Nick and, good job running the show. I'm happy with my results and, hope you are too :2tsup:

Sorry for the poor photography:-

mkypenturner
13th March 2011, 07:25 AM
amos that is one special pen :oo::2tsup:
the work in that is amazing

Big Shed
13th March 2011, 08:58 AM
Good score Charles, well done Nick, another happy swapper and swappee:2tsup:

The standard this year is amazing and the swap has run very smoothly, well done all.

Ironwood
13th March 2011, 10:54 AM
The standard this year is amazing and the swap has run very smoothly, well done all.
I agree with that Fred.
There is some fine work on display here.
Well done to all involved :2tsup:

dalecamino
13th March 2011, 12:38 PM
Good score Charles, well done Nick, another happy swapper and swappee:2tsup:

Thank you Fred. And, I totally agree with you. Quality work is being shown this year.:2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
13th March 2011, 07:36 PM
Charles
Thanks for the kind words
and I think your photos of the pen are better then the ones I took

And I have to agree - there are great pens being shown.