PDA

View Full Version : burl to make bowl

woodslab
1st February 2011, 04:56 PM
hey evry1 got some burl in and i wanted to start off makeing little bowls from the small stuff first could any1 give me some ideas on how to start at home with what kind of tools i need and also the process on making small burl bowls. here r some pics of wat i will be useing for practice i do no that 50 % off wat i have is ready to use and debarked:U types i have cream coolahbah ,red malle ,yellow box ,bimdle box

benupton
1st February 2011, 06:04 PM
To make bowls you could use a small lathe and chuck, if you look in the wood turning zone of the forum you may find there is a thread that shows you how to, or ask a question. You could cave them with a grinder and caving and sanding disks, or by hand, using chisels.

Just wondering where did you get them all I have been looking but cant find to much.

Regards Ben

woodslab
1st February 2011, 06:13 PM
hey Bupton cheers for that i will take a look at the thread right now and i like the grinder idea and sanding disk that sounds good to me .. and as for the burl i have heaps if u need let me no i always get new stuff in due to my work as a tree lopper i have a few friends that r helping me out with supply and im helping other wood workers out :2tsup: all the best and thanks for the tip for bowl makeing

benupton
1st February 2011, 06:21 PM
Have found these videos of turning

YouTube - Woodturning Turning A Natural Edge Candy Dish 1 OF 2

YouTube - Woodturning Projects Turning A Natural Edge Candy Dish 2 OF 2

woodslab
1st February 2011, 06:24 PM
love ur work Bupton thats helpful

Pat
1st February 2011, 06:41 PM
Woodslab you #$%^&!

I have a small stash of Burls, but you lucky individual have a motsa.

I have carved by hand and grinder and turned burl bowls. It can be damn hard work whichever way you go. If some of the larger burls are still green, I would rough the bowl now. Allow to dry, then finish . . . it is easier on the tools and your sanity:;

woodslab
1st February 2011, 06:52 PM
hahaha cheers Pat that made me smile:2tsup: i will be getting heaps more and all of that stuff is almost a grade i got 50 burls i gotta debark thanks for the tip aswell:D

corbs
1st February 2011, 06:58 PM
Sorry for the slight threadjack but in the second video, did he apply the wax whilst sanding? I haven't seen it done that way and am interested to know more. What type of wax would you use for that?

woodslab
1st February 2011, 07:35 PM
Ok heres another Question to debark burl and the burl type im talking about is cream coolabah, red coolabah the out side is really tuff compared to the red malle burl i striped with a gurnie wich was easy mind u i havent tryed wit this new stuff i got it looks like really hard bark . I heard soak the burl then gurnie them but i see burl buckle and change shape if u soak it in a tub of water wat should i doo any one?

benupton
1st February 2011, 07:41 PM
I have read that you can use a pressure washer.

Pat
1st February 2011, 11:16 PM
Wire Brush, chisel, Stainless wire cup brush and tailed heavy duty drill, pick, curses etc.

Good Luck:U

woodslab
1st February 2011, 11:28 PM
thanks il give that a go Pat :U