PDA

View Full Version : Home-made dust control

rsser
20th November 2004, 03:26 PM
The 'bad woods' list makes for some scary reading and the American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists has apparently recommended that wood dust be classified an A1 carcinogen - on par with asbestos (source: Fine Woodworking, April 1996, p. 114).

Health issues have been canvassed before on this forum.

FWIW ... my dust control system consists of three components: an air scrubber, top left of photo 1, a home-made exhaust duct and a powered filtered visor.

The duct connects to a salvaged kitchen exhaust fan. The first section is a length of galvanised iron pipe salvaged from a building wreckers yard, and the second section is 8" diameter flexible ducting that sits on and can be moved along a wooden rail. In photo 1 this section obscures from view a length of wire that connects a collar at the bottom of the duct to the rail, allowing the inlet to be positioned in relation to the lathe bed.

The flexible end can also be detached and swung up to be hooked off the ceiling. This puts it just above the bandsaw out of the frame on the left.

This exhaust system expels most of the dust created at the lathe to the outside. The scrubber deals with the remaining floating particles. When sanding I also use the visor. (The reverse-cycle a/c visible in photo 1 is fitted with 3M Filtrete but this is mainly to protect its fan bearings).

Paranoia? - maybe.

smidsy
20th November 2004, 06:19 PM
Hei Ern,
How effective is the kitchen exhaust fan for dust extraction, I've probably got a few of these floating round but I've never thought of using them this way.
Cheers
Paul

rsser
20th November 2004, 06:25 PM
Paul: good enough to be worth replacing when this one carks it. It's low pressure, medium volume. Positioned right, it seems to catch most of the dust that sanding produces.

smidsy
20th November 2004, 08:04 PM
Hei Ern,
Looks like I have my next project.
When you think about it those fans are designed for a wide area so if you used the 4 inch hose you get quite a bit of suction.
Cheers
Paul