PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used a Jasper 300 jig?

chrapladm
2nd February 2011, 10:05 PM
I was going to buy a 200 for some speaker holes but realized I will need to cut quite a few sizes that are above 18"(22 & 21").

Now I know there are alot of innovative people out there but I was just going to use a jig and be done with it. The only bad thing about the 300 is that it doesn't cut circles very small like most of my cuts in the future will need.

But that being said I am just wondering if the 300 is just like in the other Jasper jigs in terms of quality?

I know they all have a tendency of breaking but I might just get an aluminum one made buy copying the template.

Thanks for anyone's positive feedback.

socratous
4th February 2011, 04:49 PM
I've had the 200 model for ages. Yes, it has broken, but that was due to me dropping a Makita 1800w router with it still attached and the extended part of the jig hitting the floor first and taking 6kg of router from about 1.4m high :doh:
Having said that, the only part that did break was the part where the base plate screws pass through it, so I could just re-drill it elsewhere if I could be bothered.

Outside of that, I was very impressed with it especially for what I bought it for (I make a lot of speakers too).

Now, I am using the Router Buddy system from Practical Technologies. If you can get your hands on the deluxe kit, it will allow you to cut circles from about 50mm diameter to well over 1m. Its not cheap, but worth it imho as it will also come with an attachment to the jig to allow for elliptical cut outs as well. I got the last one that Grahame (professional woodworker supplies) had in stock. I don't think he is carrying them anymore, so either maybe ask him where to go, or suss out US ebay or Amazon?

Cheers,
Ben

chrapladm
4th February 2011, 09:23 PM
Where in Adelaide are you from socratous?

I will search for this jig you mention as it seems the best thing for me. Thanks so much for the suggestion.

socratous
4th February 2011, 09:57 PM
I'm in West Croydon mate, just off of Torrens Road. If you wan't to have a look at it, feel free to PM me and we can work something out. What router are you using with the jig? My 200 is just sitting here collecting dust at present, so if the damaged holes don't affect your usage you could probably just take it away!

chrapladm
4th February 2011, 10:55 PM
Wow that would be awesome.....Ryobi 1200 I think is the model number.