PDA

View Full Version : 15° holder & cutter

NeilS
4th February 2011, 10:50 AM
Haven't used it and don't have an opinion as to its usefulness, but posted here as I stumbled on it and thought someone else might be interested.

15° HOLDER & CUTTER

(http://www.mcjing.com.au/categorybrowser.aspx?categoryid=1360)

hughie
4th February 2011, 04:32 PM
Woodcut has something similar. Along the bottom of the bowl it will slice, however going up the sides can be tough going, as it tends to chatter.

rsser
4th February 2011, 04:51 PM
Have tried a similar cup cutter and while it cut cleanly it was frustratingly slow as the cutting edge was small.

TTIT
4th February 2011, 10:07 PM
Ok - so who's in good enough with McJings to get one for review???? :shrug:

thumb trimmer
4th February 2011, 11:10 PM
Think I've got one ... even made a spotted gum handle for it ... :think:

But then I made the stainless Oland tool and stainless multi-tip tool :thumbup: <see http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/shop-made-oland-tool-122767/>, so the McJing tools tends to collect dust on the shelf.

I tend to agree with hughie some, although I experienced the opposite ... worked ok up the sides, not so good across the bottom of a bowl.
... mind you, I was cutting end grain ...

thumb trimmer
4th February 2011, 11:12 PM
sorry ... :doh: ... I had another look at the original post ... I've got the 'older' model.
... a bit less 'meaty' version.

hughie
5th February 2011, 06:47 AM
so who's in good enough with McJings to get one for review???? :shrug:[Vern I have a couple of them and have been mucking around with them for a while. I like the idea but as Ern has stated its got its draw backs, needs more work in my opinion.
I have not used mine on end grain, but it would not surprise me if it chattered along the bottom.

NeilS
5th February 2011, 01:31 PM
The nearest other similar tool that I'm aware of on the local market is the Vermec (http://www.cws.au.com/shop/item/vermec-14mm-shaft-tct-cutter) There are a variety of others on the market elsewhere.

Noticed that the Vermec has a 10mm TCT cutter, this one has a 27mm HSS cutter. That might make a difference one way or another

I have a 12mm cup cutter on a shaft and I haven't found much use for it myself, but maybe the angle is an important feature. Noticed the Vermec also angles the cutter.

I'm hearing finishing cut may be its primary use. That would have to be a shear cut coming up the inside on either end or cross grain.

hughie
5th February 2011, 04:24 PM
The nearest other similar tool that I'm aware of on the local market is the Vermec (http://www.cws.au.com/shop/item/vermec-14mm-shaft-tct-cutter) There are a variety of others on the market elsewhere.

Noticed that the Vermec has a 10mm TCT cutter, this one has a 27mm HSS cutter. That might make a difference one way or another

I have a 12mm cup cutter on a shaft and I haven't found much use for it myself, but maybe the angle is an important feature. Noticed the Vermec also angles the cutter.

I'm hearing finishing cut may be its primary use. That would have to be a shear cut coming up the inside on either end or cross grain

Ashley Isles makes one around 20mm dia But as far as I know only McJings and Woodcut have it at the angle. Big cutters have their draw back on internal unless its an open bowl or platter. The small ones will tuck in under the lip and so on, but take small bites. My Isles cutter will take bigger bites but for the life of me I cant prevent the chatter in the shape etc that it comes in.

tea lady
5th February 2011, 05:25 PM
Wasn't there a video of someone using something similar posted a while ago! Its used more like a bowl gouge than a scraper! :think:

tea lady
5th February 2011, 05:27 PM
I'm hearing finishing cut may be its primary use. That would have to be a shear cut coming up the inside on either end or cross grain.But a TCT cutter wouldn't be sharp enough! :shrug:

NeilS
6th February 2011, 01:21 PM
But a TCT cutter wouldn't be sharp enough! :shrug:

The Vermec is TC, but the McJing appears to be HSS, well they are not claiming it to be TC so assume it's HSS.

Others may argue that TC can come sharp enough to give a fine cut. Someone sent me some TC ring cutters from the US and unused they feel quite sharp. TC can also be 're-honed' with diamond.

And, yes, TC doesn't take as fine an edge as HSS, or CS for that matter, but whether it's sharp enough for final cuts may be a matter of personal preference as to what is acceptable as a final cut.

rsser
6th February 2011, 01:29 PM
Yes, one of the EWT TC cutters, the finishing disc, I found to scrape as cleanly as a refined edge HSS scraper and was sharp enough to easily cut your fingertip if you idly drew it across the edge.