PDA

View Full Version : Flooded out

Groggy
4th February 2011, 08:48 PM
Just had a record deluge here and a 75mm flood through the workshop :( All the gutters filled, downspouts and drains were overloaded then they backed up. Everything flooded over, it was like a waterfall everywhere I looked.

Still, I am better off than a Queenslander I suppose.

seriola
4th February 2011, 09:17 PM
That is a shame but as you say a lot better off than so many others. Raining heavily here but so far all the work put in re working drainage has worked well. Minor hiccup, little brown canary (spoggy) nested in gutter outlet but got to that in time and no damage done.

Big Shed
4th February 2011, 09:20 PM
Sorry to see so much water go through the workshop Greg:(

There has been some wild weather going through here as well, we had 50mm in 30 mins and the wind was so strong we thought we would lose the roof:oo:

Raining again as I write this but much more controlled.

Since Jan 1 we have had 265mm so far, for the whole of 2006 we had 344mm:o

m2c1Iw
4th February 2011, 09:24 PM
Bugga, no consolation but I just saw some pics of Dunk Island....... smashed. :o

Groggy
4th February 2011, 09:33 PM
At least I have the ark if I need it :rolleyes:

Grumpy John
4th February 2011, 09:52 PM
We copped a big downpour at the Bunnies @ Cranbourne tonight. They actually closed the store early because of the danger of electrocution. Sorry about the poor picture quality.

160490 160491

Jim Carroll
4th February 2011, 10:00 PM
Had the same trouble here, water flooded into the shop and my office.

Now the carpet is wet so have had to clear out the office and try and rip up the carpet in the morning.

The water came down the driveway so fast it had no choice but to run inside. Bugga.

Looks like a weekend of cleaning up and shifting things around to dry out.

Claw Hama
4th February 2011, 10:12 PM
I can take a bit off your hands, we have only had 20mm since Xmas the most has been about 5mm at any one time. My veggie garden and yard are realy dry, coupled with the average max temp of 38+ deg its very dry.
Sorry to see you guys get a dunking but like you said not as bad as other places.

Groggy
4th February 2011, 10:15 PM
It looks like Jim Carroll just got a pasting too!

Edit - yep, just read your post Jim, the radar image looked nasty.

issatree
4th February 2011, 11:43 PM
Hi all,
Yes, we've had a fair bit of Rain here just outside of Geelong, Vic.
Tipped out 29mm. this morning, & just tipped out another 36mm.
A bit come in the house, as the Gutter overflowed, so there will be a new bit of Down Pipe going in there, & our Garage took on some Rain as well. Have to be careful walking in there as I have the Thong like Flooring down, & it gets very Slippery.

Scott
5th February 2011, 09:03 AM
Groggy and Jim - I'm in Melbourne, if you need some assistance cleaning up (moving stuff around etc) email me or PM me, would be more than happy to assist.

I'm glad I'm on high ground (side of a hill), the house and shed are well protected. 85mm in the rain gauge since 9pm last night!

Big Shed
5th February 2011, 10:15 AM
Hope there's no major damage for our other Vic members:no:

Certainly some dramatic weather coming through and by the look of it a fair bit more on it's way, some dramatic radar pics around Renmark/Mildura, looks to be heading straight for us.

Since 5pm yesterday we've had 115mm and our dams are overflowing once again and our creek has burst its' banks for the umpteenth time this summer.

Lots of big branches down on our place but no major damage thankfully.

Sturdee
5th February 2011, 11:20 AM
As my workshop is under the house and dug out into the hill side I get seepage into the workshop with prolonged heavy rains. So this morning I found it had a lot of water but nowhere as bad as Greg.

Funny thing is that it flowed between the concrete floor and the foam rubber matting that covers the whole floor. Felt in parts as if I was walking on air.

So although flooding I could still clean up the workshop and no damage.:2tsup:

Peter.

Groggy
5th February 2011, 11:22 AM
This morning has been spent raising bits and pieces so air can get under and dry them out. Drill press, filing cabinet, cupboards, table saw etc all had water under them. Overall I'd only put damage as a 1 out of 10, it looked worse last night but in daylight it is not too bad at all.

I got off relatively lightly and it makes me feel twice as sorry for those in the true flood areas that have had everything go under.

tea lady
5th February 2011, 01:39 PM
Bit wet here too! But nothing actually flooded! :rain: Isn't weather amazing! :rolleyes::U

Waldo
5th February 2011, 01:47 PM
Someone opened the flood waters on us last night. Thankfully the bit of overflow work I did to the drainage a year back or so kept the tide from entering the shed - instead it went down to next door's.

Hope it was very minimal Groggy.

Groggy
5th February 2011, 05:43 PM
Spent the day drying and sorting stuff out. Ran out of G15 so will need some more. Ready to get back to work on the bench tomorrow.

Found the sawdust in the corners was a moisture trap so the workshop is now *really* spotless. I even cleaned under the mats because water seeped in there :rolleyes:

rsser
8th February 2011, 10:33 AM
Sorry to hear of your woes folks.

Yes, the rains were a good test of plumbing, flashing and building design.

We only got one internal leak, a dark brown trickle that took a bit of forensic work to trace.

For the first time in about 5 years, the water tank has been repeatedly filling and overflowing that that now needs to be properly plumbed as there's rising damp in the shed slab beside it.

Jim Carroll
8th February 2011, 12:50 PM
The flooding was a bit of a pain in the backside, wasted the whole weekend cleaning up.

Looking back at this though we got of pretty lightly compared to a lot of others.

When it happens you think the worst, we hope everyone else gets cleaned up quickly and can get their lifes back on track.

FenceFurniture
8th February 2011, 06:33 PM
Man there is some weird weather around. Here in Katoomba it was pushing 35 degrees or so all last week, next day about 20 (that happens here a fair bit because of the 1000m altitude) but yesterday (Monday) it was 14 !! Back to three layers of clothes and numb fingers.

February 2010 there was two solid weeks of torrential rain (I hadn't moved here from the smoke then).

My commiserations to all in Qld and Vic who have suffered damage.

Regards, Brett

rsser
23rd February 2011, 05:26 PM
Groggy, if you're still short of G15 I can bring a can over.

Groggy
23rd February 2011, 05:34 PM
Thanks Ern. If you have an extra can I'll take it off your hands, otherwise I will probably pick one up over the weekend. I am not in any rush, the workshop smells like an oiler's wiping rag at the moment.

rsser
23rd February 2011, 05:58 PM
K, go for the weekend pick-up; if that fails I'll bring one around.

It's a pox they can't be posted these days.

Groggy
23rd February 2011, 06:00 PM
Appreciate the offer but I may mosey over to CT for ....ummm...

I'll probably find something to get :-

rsser
23rd February 2011, 06:16 PM
Ooo. 'spect you might.

Used to visit the Richmond shop for a poke around. Usually found something to reduce one figure and expand another. Bouquets for Trent who gave club discounts.

Never dropped into the new place. All online or by phone. Bouquet for Daniel for informed advice.