PDA

View Full Version : Making frames for windows

Glenbeck
4th February 2011, 10:21 PM
Am totally new to this. My DIY is usually Do By Yourself as I don't really have anyone to ask for help. hence the post.

I have a 6x6 m garage, one with the portal frame I think it's called.
I had it put up by the suppliers and got them to put in a large window I had given to me. This was aluminium with timber around it for the inside part. I know they put it in after the cladding was done (actually they were on for going to the local pub until I reminded them it had been part of the contract). They seemed to grind a section from the wall girt in the middle and use another c section lower that they welded to the uprights/columns. This was what the window sat on. They then added another at the top and welded that. They also made some type of surround for the outside but I didn't get to take much notice (probably put off by all the back ends on show).

Now I have decided to put some more smaller windows in, 1 900 x900 and 1 small bathroom type. The smaller one has the timber inside bit.

After all that info, my question is how do I put these in? I know I will need to make a frame but should I use timber or metal channel and what steps should I follow?

Any info would be great as have had no luck searching forums or Googling.:~

Shedblog Au
5th February 2011, 07:56 AM
Greetings Glenbeck, could you further describe your shed frame, does it use topspan/tophat as wall girts or is the frame all Cee section and do you intend to line the shed in the future?

cheers, Dave

Glenbeck
5th February 2011, 06:08 PM
Hi, had a good look again today at it.
All c section. Yes would like to line it.
Realised the window is actually 1240mm high by 900 wide. The wall is 2400 high but have had slab put in after reducing overall height a bit. There is a distance of about 1100 between top girt/purlin? and mid girt so window won't fit this gap. Nutting it out in my head, I thought maybe I could cut/gring the required section in the mid girt like the shed guys did. then maybe make a stud frame of timber including a piece like a head plate to fit and screw up into the c section top girt/purlin and set the studs into a bottom plate and screw this into the bottom girt. Does that make sense? Probably need to add half stud? up to the bottom of the mid girt to support the end where it has been cut so as to not risk the structure rigidity due to section missing.

If I was to use metal for studs, considering I cannot weld, could I use those Rondo? studs or channels and cut out slots or flanges or whatever that would fit over top and bottom girts at the sides to then screw them together?

Again, am not entirely sure but cannot always explain in words the ideas that I come up with or if there is an easier way and I have just not found it on Google.

Cheers, Bec

Shedblog Au
5th February 2011, 09:20 PM
I know you would like to use the window you have , the best way would be to search around for a new or secondhand window that doesn't mean you have to muck around with the structural members of the shed.

If you wish to cut out your mid girt then frame from the bottom girt to the eave purlin. If its all Cee section then you could use some of the same type material as the girts and use GP brackets and nuts and bolts to make the connections.

What I really suggest you do is contact the supplier of the building and ask what is the standard process applied when removing a section of your girt for a window. I believe they will know what technique to apply , you should be able to use cleats and fastners rather than having to weld.
Technically removing a section of girt can affect the engineering and perhaps the addition of some bracing might be required , this is why I suggest you should contact the supplier.

cheers, Dave